News   Mar 18, 2024
 775     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 774     0 

Simons

Guess downtown Toronto is not elite enough for Simons?

From their Canadian roll-out I think Simons target shopper is suburban teenager, rather than urban 20-something.

What Northern Light said above. Simon was in the newspaper last week saying they are still working at getting a downtown Toronto location. And nothing about Simons suggests "suburban teenager" to me.

What Northern Light said above. Simon was in the newspaper last week saying they are still working at getting a downtown Toronto location. And nothing about Simons suggests "suburban teenager" to me.
i dont know... simons gave me a forever 21 vibe yesterday at sq1... i liked the high ceilings though.

I get that. What I am suggesting is that your first impression of a chain which you say you know/think about very little about is not particularly accurate.

The chains obviously have fast fashion in common, although there are a lot of other more apt comparables on that front, and Simons also has more aspects to it than that.

Last edited:
but im arguing is if others have similar first impressions, perception will be reality... I was happy I parked at the Bay.

I'm gentling suggesting your first perception is not reality. Simons offers fashion directed to various market segments, much like the Bay. So far, Simons has managed not to be widely confused with Forever 21, so I am guessing they'll be okay.

When I first walked in, I thought Target would be a tremendous success in Canada. First impressions, eh?

ETA: I don't mean to be critical. Your first impression is your first impression. I guess what I am saying is that your first impression reflects only one aspect of what Simons does, and they've been quite successful at the other things.

Last edited:
From their Canadian roll-out I think Simons target shopper is suburban teenager, rather than urban 20-something.
Well, since their Canadian roll-out (as a retailer) was in 1889, I would say whatever shopper they are targetting has worked out pretty well for them ;)

Simons is hard to categorize. They have in-house fast-fashion lines targeted to those suburban teenagers, but also lines for young professionals. Then over in another corner (or floor, depending on the location) they have racks of high-end designer labels that you would normally find at Holt's. This one-stop shop for High-Low fashion has worked for them so far and I hope it continues to in their new markets. Always nice to see a Canadian success story.

These sort of scream suburban teenager...

Dressing rooms. Photo: engclau via Instagram
http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2016/3/simons-1st-gta

These sort of scream suburban teenager...

Same design by figure3 that helped win Simons the International Store of the Year award in 2013, which hardly screams either teenager or suburban to me. Note that it's in the section of the store for its DJAB urban wear line, which is only one part of the store and hardly reflective of what Simons is as a whole. Does the Hudson's Bay Queen Street store "scream suburban teenager" because of the far west end of the 5th floor?

Last edited:
Those aren't the only change rooms in the store. There are 'normal' ones throughout. Nothing wrong with being different with a few of them.

Okay, but important to note that I was responding (with quote) to a comment that said Simons' "target shopper is suburban teenager, rather than urban 20-something", and my response was in the context of that comment about the chain's target shopper, not a standalone comment that there is nothing in their stores that appealed to teenagers. So let's not take my quote out of context - there is, in fact, nothing about Simons which suggests to me that it is targeted to teenagers and gives off a Forever21 vibe. And, secondly, you seem to have missed my other earlier comments where I said that Simons has lines that appeal to different demographics, with in-house labels geared towards younger shoppers. So I guess I am not sure what point you were making with your observation.

Last edited:

Back