News   May 09, 2024
 692     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 504     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 858     1 

Scarborough-Malvern LRT

... Till then politicians promising anything less than rail to Malvern should bring hired goons with them....
Probably cheaper, and more environmentally friendly, to hire the goons in Malvern. Also it would show committment by investing in the community. :)

Probably cheaper, and more environmentally friendly, to hire the goons in Malvern. Also it would show committment by investing in the community. :)

...with the sub-standard bus service in Malvern....they might not make it there in time....

Keithz, did you even read my last post? Even if we saved half a billion dollars and cancelled the northern half of the Morningside line, there's still at least 3 new rail lines proposed to serve Malvern.

The Morningside line has *absolutely* nothing to do with what residents or voters want. Malvern is not even remotely poor, by the way...it's a solidly average middle class area.

Keithz, did you even read my last post? Even if we saved half a billion dollars and cancelled the northern half of the Morningside line, there's still at least 3 new rail lines proposed to serve Malvern.

The Morningside line has *absolutely* nothing to do with what residents or voters want. Malvern is not even remotely poor, by the way...it's a solidly average middle class area.

I did read your posts. And I agreed with them!

I only said that if they are committed to building them regardless, then they should be extended down Morningside not back to Malvern Town Centre. Personally, I would like to see the line cancelled or cut short at UTS, the SRT extended to the mall, with MTC becoming a mini-transit hub with buses operating out of there...like Scarborough Town Centre.

As for not being poor, and being solidly middle class....perception is everything....It is not the dumps of Toronto, but residents do feel that they are perceived as less than middle class.

Everyone I know and grew up with the in area feels that the community gets the shaft from a downtown focused city council and government. Rightly or wrongly....that's the perception. And politics is perception....

I hope all of you guys are communicating your ideas to the TTC:

malverntransit@toronto.ca

I urge all of you guys to write in with your ideas.

Here's snippets of my email:

The proposed route provides no service along Morningside Avenue, north of Sheppard Avenue, missing out on several areas that could generate ridership, such as the growing Morningside Heights community. Instead the route proceeds west along Sheppard Avenue, and then North along Neilson Road, a routing which does not contain many intersecting streets or points of interest, with the exception of the terminus at Malvern Town Centre.

I have three proposals which I feel would promote increased ridership and improve service to the north-east corner of Scarborough:

1) Continue north along Morningside Avenue to Finch Avenue. Proceed west on Finch Avenue, south on Neilson Road and terminate at Malvern Town Centre.

2) Proceed north on Morningside Avenue until the intersection of Neilson Road and then south on Neilson, terminating at Malvern Town Centre or continuing south on Neilson Road towards Sheppard Avenue and back to Morningside Avenue.

3) Proceed north on Morningside Avenue till McNicoll Avenue. Proceed west on McNicoll Avenue to Tapscott Road. Then proceed south on Tapscott Road, terminating at Malvern Town Centre or continuing eastward along Sewells Road back to Morningside Avenue.

The three routes proposed above would extend light rail service to the growing community of Morningside Heights while reducing demand for bus service in the community. It would provide expeditious services and connection to the TTC's heavy rail network. The proposed routes would also significantly increase ridership but capturing commuters north of Sheppard Avenue. In particular the last routing proposed would connect the residential areas along Morninside Avenue, the businesses along Tapscott Road, the Malvern Community Centre and Public library, several high density housing areas, two high schools and the Malvern Town Centre effectively negating the requirement for bus service along Tapscott Road.

Furthermore, should the TTC decide to replace the Scarborough RT with light rail technology, then the routings could easily be integrated with the Transit City program, allowing for common depot and maintenance facilities and reduced maintenance costs through commonality. Indeed, converting the SRT to light rail would allow more effective routing such as re-directing the Scarborough Malvern LRT to the Scarborough Town Centre after its westward track along Sheppard Avenue. Such a proposal would connect central Scarborough the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus and provide timely and effective service.

Two Open Houses will be held in April 2009 for Scarborough-Malvern LRT

April 29 Newsletter

• Wednesday, April 15, 2009 POSTPHONED
    6:30pm to 9:00pm
    Bliss Carman Public School (Gym)
    10 Bellamy Road South (Map)
    via transit: 102 Markham Rd Bus
  • Thursday, April 16, 2009 POSTPHONED
    6:30pm to 9:00pm
    West Hill Collegiate Institute (Cafeteria)
    350 Morningside Avenue (Map)
    via transit: 116 Morningside bus

Last edited:
Meetings on May 20 & 21

Just wondering if anyone went to these meetings and if there is anything new to report?

I happened to drop by the meeting last night, it was rather funny listening to people complain, to the TTC staff, about things that have absolutely nothing to do with this or any of the other TC lines, it was even more funny that most of these people had no clue what they where ranting about.

A few points from what I remember,

new bridge for the LRT line east of the current one on Morningside over the ravine, (south of Ellesmere)

at least 3-4 locations for centre storage tracks,

bus loop shown for kingston road BRT, meets a centre platform stop at KR and eglinton,

Westbound eglinton at KR realigned in a more east-west direction. with LRT and BRT facilities located between the east and westbound lanes, and north of KR

new left turn lanes from KR to lawrence in both directions.

a triple platform station at UTSC

Thanks Voltz!

That triple platform at UTSC...do you mean 2 side platforms and 1 centre platform with 2 tracks OR 3 centre platforms with 4 tracks.

Sounds like it will be a short turn location.

Very interesting. Hope we get the Pan-Am games so this can be in place for 2015.

Hope we get the Pan-Am games so this can be in place for 2015.
Hopefully we won't get this. Surely doing that will only further delay the Don Mills Line, which has a higher demand ... simply for a couple of weeks of busing athletes around? (it's not like you get spectators for the Pan Am games!).

Thanks Voltz!

That triple platform at UTSC...do you mean 2 side platforms and 1 centre platform with 2 tracks OR 3 centre platforms with 4 tracks.

Sounds like it will be a short turn location.

Very interesting. Hope we get the Pan-Am games so this can be in place for 2015.

2 tracks with centre and side platforms, located on the south side of Ellesmere, with centre storage tracks on Military trail

Frustratingly, there's no presentation up yet on the city's Transit City Pages. Voltz, from what you say, it sounds like they're planning a big chunk of this line to be beside the street rather than in the middle of it, where driveways and such are not an issue. Taken with some of the ideas they have for the lines around the waterfront, it seems possible that imagination and open minds have gained at least a small toehold in the transit planning department, at long last.

Back