News   Apr 26, 2024
 798     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 743     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I was studying at UW when they built the flyover connecting 7-WB to 8-EB. It seemed like the biggest thing to happen in K-W in years the day it opened. I think that was sometime in 2003-2004.

Regardless of commuting patterns (I should see if a traffic study had been done), the 8-7-85 route is the most important gateway to the city for visitors. Surely that is indisputable.
For most vehicle types. Horses and buggies seem to come from the north.

I disagree. Majority of the traffic on the Conestoga in rush-hour is local - it hasn't come from the 401 or further south. I'd think that shows up in the traffic count data from MTO.

I think you're actually right, though I'm not sure my math is correct. Using the following sources (noting that King St. data is from 2014 and Hwy 8 data is from 2010):

http://www.raqsb.mto.gov.on.ca/tech...l Highways Traffic Volumes 2010 AADT Only.pdf
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettingAround/resources/RegionalTrafficVolumes-AllLocations.pdf

King St - 24,301
Hwy 8 before Conestoga Pkwy - 101,400
Hwy 7 west of Hwy 8 - 88,800
Hwy 7 east of Hwy 8 - 95,000

The differential between traffic east and west of Hwy 8 at the interchange is +6200 east of the interchange. This means that 6200 more people are getting on/off between 8 and 7 east of 8 than are getting on/off between 8 and 7 west of 8. The total amount of traffic going from 7 to 8 is 77,100 (all of the King St. traffic is coming off of 8, you can't exit onto King St. from the Pkwy). Therefore, the splits should be as follows, roughly:

Hwy 7 east of Hwy 8 to Hwy 8 and vice versa: 35,450.
Hwy 7 west of Hwy 8 to Hwy 8 and vice versa: 41,650.
Hwy 7 through the interchange: 53,150.

It's all pretty close and I suspect I screwed up the math somewhere. Maybe someone can verify.

My conspiracy theorist side thinks they are only really holding off because they don't have the money at this time to build it.

There are probably some developers with lots of lands in this area who stand to gain in a big way if its built. So eventually it will get built.

The environment/new direction story is just a smokescreen for now.

My conspiracy theorist side thinks they are only really holding off because they don't have the money at this time to build it.

There are probably some developers with lots of lands in this area who stand to gain in a big way if its built. So eventually it will get built.

The environment/new direction story is just a smokescreen for now.
It's fine to say they should not be built....but there is land (lots of it) where residential development is planned......if the theory is that those people are going to be the first districts/neighbourhoods in Ontario told that they will be landlocked from the road system entirely and 100% of their connectivity to the rest of the region is to be transit....someone needs to a) show anywhere in N.A. where transit gets near to 100% of modal share and b) get planning now for new rail lines to the areas affected.........and if that is the plan, great, but it is gonna cost more than this highway would cost (so I don't think it is the money).

LA just open up a new section of LRT and they have found that 62% of the ridership is new riders with 60% of them will be using it in place of driving to work.

Again, unless transit is first in for new development areas as well quality of service, going to be a hard sell getting people to use transit at all.

Some folks don't want the Toronto life style since they want the less density and the freedom to walk out the door at anytime and go where they want to go on the dime.

If we want land for food to feed the generations down the road, we have to say stop at some point, otherwise going to cost big time to find the food and pay for it as well have clear air to breath.

It's fine to say they should not be built....but there is land (lots of it) where residential development is planned......if the theory is that those people are going to be the first districts/neighbourhoods in Ontario told that they will be landlocked from the road system entirely and 100% of their connectivity to the rest of the region is to be transit....someone needs to a) show anywhere in N.A. where transit gets near to 100% of modal share and b) get planning now for new rail lines to the areas affected.........and if that is the plan, great, but it is gonna cost more than this highway would cost (so I don't think it is the money).

There is also a 3rd option: Development happens without transit or this new highway.

My issue with this highway is that it is doubtful it will lead to new high density development. The development that will line this highway will be total urban sprawl hell: subdivisions with large homes and large box-store retail.

There is also a 3rd option: Development happens without transit or this new highway.

My issue with this highway is that it is doubtful it will lead to new high density development. The development that will line this highway will be total urban sprawl hell: subdivisions with large homes and large box-store retail.

I doubt you will get much high density with or without the highway.

LA just open up a new section of LRT and they have found that 62% of the ridership is new riders with 60% of them will be using it in place of driving to work.

Again, unless transit is first in for new development areas as well quality of service, going to be a hard sell getting people to use transit at all.

Some folks don't want the Toronto life style since they want the less density and the freedom to walk out the door at anytime and go where they want to go on the dime.

If we want land for food to feed the generations down the road, we have to say stop at some point, otherwise going to cost big time to find the food and pay for it as well have clear air to breath.

The Expo Line opening will be huge for transit along the Western LA corridor. Linking Santa Monica and Downtown LA will give people a valuable alternative to driving along that route. With its expansive urban area, LA would greatly benefit from RER style train service to complement its LRT/subway network.

The Expo Line opening will be huge for transit along the Western LA corridor. Linking Santa Monica and Downtown LA will give people a valuable alternative to driving along that route. With its expansive urban area, LA would greatly benefit from RER style train service to complement its LRT/subway network.

The stop spacing on the Gold Line extension is pretty much RER-like stop spacing anyway (2+ km between a lot of stations). But yes, I agree that Metrolink could be so much more than what it is right now. It isn't really up to where GO Transit was even in the 80s.

You're forgetting about electric cars and skyscraper farms.

Back