News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 286     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 813     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Highway 412 and the 407 extension are so empty that I can't imagine they had a notable impact on Highway 401 traffic. It's the least utilized major highway I've ever used. I imagine that it will be even less utilized once tolling starts.

Is there significant development planned along these highways to boost its usage? I'm not too familiar with the project.

I chose to take the 407/412 eastbound on a Friday afternoon to avoid the traffic (likely saving at least 1-2 hours) and westbound on a Sunday afternoon because I didn't feel like dealing with anything the 401 could come up with. If the 412 wasn't there, I would have stuck to the 401 because any time savings would be eaten up by accessing the 407. So there are likely a number of people with the same logic. It's much more convenient to access now.

The question is - did opening these change the 401 traffic pattern any? I don't drive the stretch of 401 regularly. On Sunday evenings I have come SB on 115 and run straight into a stop and go return to the city on 401 WB for about 10 years. I have a client in Whitby and for 3 years it has taken 2 hours at mid day to creep and crawl from midtown to Whitby. I sure hope that the new highway has changed some of these traffic patterns. The 401 was/is so tight east of the city that I have no more colleagues from Pickering or Ajax. They gave up and are working closer to home.
I have a colleague in East Whitby that started taking the 412/407 to work (Airport area), since the extension opened. He seems to love it and it saves him significant time

The question, I think, is whether people can afford to do this in the long term. That trip he takes is already $16.60 one way (with a transponder) and will be even higher once the Province starts tolling the extension.

Many delivery trucks would probably use the 407 and the 412 to bypass the 401 (and yes, the delivery companies can easily afford the tolls).
Actually, it depends on if the driver can afford the tolls. Most truck drivers are paid mileage, and while yes, it would theoretically allow them to go faster, there is no guarantee that trucking companies are going to increase trucker's pay per mile to allow for the tolls.

You can actually already see this in action. Despite passing through significant warehousing/industrial areas in Brampton, Mississauga, Vaughan and Markham, there is very little truck traffic on the 407.

Last edited:
Actually, it depends on if the driver can afford the tolls. Most truck drivers are paid mileage, and while yes, it would theoretically allow them to go faster, there is no guarantee that trucking companies are going to increase trucker's pay per mile to allow for the tolls.

You can actually already see this in action. Despite passing through significant warehousing/industrial areas in Brampton, Mississauga, Vaughan and Markham, there is very little truck traffic on the 407.

Time is money. If they can get in more trips in, they'll make it up in the making more deliveries.

Stop and go traffic for a tractor-trailer means a lot of fuel is being used just to move from a stop. If they can cruise along at a constant speed, they'll save money on fuel (and brakes).

Thing is, gas usually comes out of truckers pay, and truckers are paid for mileage. The economic costs of traffic are placed onto the truckers themselves, not the trucking companies.

Thing is, gas usually comes out of truckers pay, and truckers are paid for mileage. The economic costs of traffic are placed onto the truckers themselves, not the trucking companies.
That's not true. At least not for the vast majority of the companies (speaking from the personal experience).

Reactions: rbt
That is correct. However, the gas, insurance, tolls are covered by the company.
Interesting, thanks. I did not know that.

However, they currently don't seem very willing to pay the tolls. So I'm interested to see if the 407 extension & 412 will make the companies more willing to pay the tolls and consider using the highway more regularly.

I chose to take the 407/412 eastbound on a Friday afternoon to avoid the traffic (likely saving at least 1-2 hours) and westbound on a Sunday afternoon because I didn't feel like dealing with anything the 401 could come up with. If the 412 wasn't there, I would have stuck to the 401 because any time savings would be eaten up by accessing the 407. So there are likely a number of people with the same logic. It's much more convenient to access now.
We used it twice this weekend....on the way to Ottawa on Saturday and the way home yesterday.....hard to say how much time it saved us but pretty sure it did save us some time.....and, yes, the 412 was a factor, in the past when we have made the trip to Ottawa we did not use the 407 because the time you saved from 410 to Brock was given back (or it felt that way) working your way between the 401 and the 407....knowing there was a 400 series highway (that is not the 404) induced us to give it a shot.

Does the 401 still narrow to 3 lanes west of the 412?
If you're stuck in a traffic jam for 5km leading up to the 412 anyway, what's another few km? Once you're past the narrowing, you're past the worst part of it anyway.

I took the new route out of curiosity last week....wouldn't say it was empty, but it wasn't syphoning off a huge amount of traffic either. Virtually no trucks. I expect it will take a while for habits to change.

My trip was 412-407-400-401. It was less stressful than the 401, but any gain was lost in congestion coming down the 400. I can see the attraction if one is bypassing the city altogether, but if one still has to fight with the 404 or 400 the 401 is still bearable.

- Paul

Back