Attachments

• 400construction.png
    400construction.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,813
News Release

Canada's First High-Occupancy Toll Lanes To Open September 2016
June 23, 2016

Ontario Increasing Travel Options to Help Manage Congestion
Ontario is launching Canada's first High-Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes as part of a pilot project on the QEW--between Trafalgar Road in Oakville and Guelph Line in Burlington--to help manage congestion and add another option for travellers.

This new pilot project will start on September 15, 2016. Existing High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on the QEW will be designated as HOT lanes. Carpools of two or more occupants will still be able to use the QEW HOT lanes for free, while single occupant drivers will now have the option to purchase a HOT permit to use them.

HOT permit applications from members of the public will be accepted online from August 1 to August 21 through ServiceOntario. A limited number of applicants will be selected to purchase permits through a draw. The permit will cost $180 for a three-month term.

As part of the pilot, Ontario is issuing a Request for Information seeking innovative technologies that can be used to support tolling, compliance and performance monitoring of HOT lanes for the purposes of testing during the pilot. Possible technologies include telematics, radio frequency identification, video-analytics, GPS, and infrared cameras. The pilot will be used to inform long-term planning for future HOT lane implementation and will also support Ontario's innovation sector by providing an opportunity to test emerging traffic management and tolling technologies.

Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history -- about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In 2015, the province announced support for more than 325 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life.

Creating new travel options and supporting innovation is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history and investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.

QUICK FACTS
  • Approximately 1,000 HOT permits will be made available each term of three months.
  • For the first term only, permits will be valid from September 15 to December 31, 2016, giving permit holders an additional two weeks of HOT lane use as an early incentive bonus.
  • A 15.5 km stretch of dedicated HOT lanes with electronic tolling in both directions on Highway 427 will open in 2021, from south of Highway 409 to north of Rutherford Road.
  • HOT lanes will complement other initiatives, such as the GO Regional Express Rail that will increase GO Train trips by 50 per cent over the next five years with more stops serving more communities.

Related: drivers with green license plates (eg. electric or plugin hybrid vehicles) have been able to drive in HOV lanes without any passengers for some years now, as an extra incentive to buy a green vehicle. This program had been renewed on an annual basis but is now officially permanent*

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/green-licence-plate.shtml

* "permanent" meaning ongoing, but clearly this program won't be sustainable once we get large volumes of EV or PHEV vehicles. At some point, it'll have to be cancelled, but reading the specific terminology used - vehicles with green plates will have permanent access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes - I suspect that cars with existing green plates will continue to have access and they'll just stop issuing new green plates.

I'm sure the HOT lanes will be very popular among government contractors who can expense the cost of the HOT lanes to the government.

The HOT lanes will be counterproductive because all it takes is one person going 100km and the whole lane backs up and moves super slowly.

These lanes should have a higher speed limit. They are the left lane of the road and people should be using them more like passing lanes not lanes to chill at 100km/hr.

Does anyone know if there are plans to connect the QEW HOT lanes with those on the 403? It seems like such a logical connection to make but would require widening the the short 403 stretch between QEW and 407.

Related: drivers with green license plates (eg. electric or plugin hybrid vehicles) have been able to drive in HOV lanes without any passengers for some years now, as an extra incentive to buy a green vehicle. This program had been renewed on an annual basis but is now officially permanent*

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/green-licence-plate.shtml

* "permanent" meaning ongoing, but clearly this program won't be sustainable once we get large volumes of EV or PHEV vehicles. At some point, it'll have to be cancelled, but reading the specific terminology used - vehicles with green plates will have permanent access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes - I suspect that cars with existing green plates will continue to have access and they'll just stop issuing new green plates.

From the Ontario Climate Change Action Plan: "The Green Licence Plate Program will continue until 25 per cent of passenger vehicles have green plates [...] The program would be reviewed after 10 years. Green plate vehicles will have free access to the high-occupancy toll lanes that are currently being rolled out in Ontario"

Presumably whichever comes sooner, 25% of vehicles green plated or 10 years, will be the trigger. Of course there would be no point in having green plates once so many cars are electric.

I wonder if we'll do the same thing as California and stop offering PHEVs access to HOV lanes before cutting it for BEVs, or if we'll keep considering them together. I think it would be tricky as unlike the CA HOV stickers, since we have it linked to our plates, you'd either have to invent a "mega-green" plate for BEVs to upgrade to or force PHEV drivers to relinquish their green plates...or deprecate the green plate program and replace it with a sticker program. I think it makes sense, seems silly for a BMW X5 or Volvo XC90 plugin with a realistic range of <10km in the winter or <20km in the summer to get HOV access 5 years from now just the same as a Chevy Bolt or Model 3 does. Of course, for the time being I think that any PHEV should get it--I drive a Volt myself, and 99% of my usage is electric--but I'll readily admit that it will stop making sense in a few years once BEVs are more realistic for most.

I was on highway 412 and the 407 extension yesterday. Those highways were quite empty, and whatever traffic did exist was moving at speeds of 125 kph upward to a peak of 140 kph. The speed limit is 100 kph.

I was on highway 412 and the 407 extension yesterday. Those highways were quite empty, and whatever traffic did exist was moving at speeds of 125 kph upward to a peak of 140 kph. The speed limit is 100 kph.
This isn't limited to that part of the 407. In the mornings, 407ETR from the 403 to the 410, the regular speed of traffic is definitely in the 125 - 140 km/h range.

Hell, even the 400 northbound is a fast, fast highway on a regular day (i.e. non-cottage traffic).

This isn't limited to that part of the 407. In the mornings, 407ETR from the 403 to the 410, the regular speed of traffic is definitely in the 125 - 140 km/h range.

Hell, even the 400 northbound is a fast, fast highway on a regular day (i.e. non-cottage traffic).

If the traffic was moving, even 10 years ago, on a Sunday evening after 8PM the inside lane of the 400 SB was travelling 140 km/h. The curb perhaps 120. The stretch from Steeles to 89 is consistently driven fast I find. Also 407 across the city. Makes driving on 401/409/427 seem like piss fartin' around.

The question is - did opening these change the 401 traffic pattern any? I don't drive the stretch of 401 regularly. On Sunday evenings I have come SB on 115 and run straight into a stop and go return to the city on 401 WB for about 10 years. I have a client in Whitby and for 3 years it has taken 2 hours at mid day to creep and crawl from midtown to Whitby. I sure hope that the new highway has changed some of these traffic patterns. The 401 was/is so tight east of the city that I have no more colleagues from Pickering or Ajax. They gave up and are working closer to home.

The question is - did opening these change the 401 traffic pattern any? I don't drive the stretch of 401 regularly. On Sunday evenings I have come SB on 115 and run straight into a stop and go return to the city on 401 WB for about 10 years. I have a client in Whitby and for 3 years it has taken 2 hours at mid day to creep and crawl from midtown to Whitby. I sure hope that the new highway has changed some of these traffic patterns. The 401 was/is so tight east of the city that I have no more colleagues from Pickering or Ajax. They gave up and are working closer to home.

Highway 412 and the 407 extension are so empty that I can't imagine they had a notable impact on Highway 401 traffic. It's the least utilized major highway I've ever used. I imagine that it will be even less utilized once tolling starts.

Back