News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 869     0 

Riverdale

Somewhat interesting news - the owner of the building with Kitchen Stuff Plus on the ground level (at Danforth and Gough) has applied for a zoning review to see if he can expand the commercial building onto 40 Gough next door.

Kitchen.png

Attachments

• Kitchen.png
    Kitchen.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 620
Meh. We went very soon after it opened and we thought it overpriced and overrated. I also couldn't get over the French fries stuffed in there. I understand that that's how they do it in Greece -- that's what I have been told anyway -- but, to me, it was too starchy. The fries overwhelmed the flavours of the meat, tomatoes, onions and, in particular, the tzatziki. So no thanks. We stuck to Alexandros which was good back then, plus you could sit outside and people watch, and, for takeout, Louis.
I've heard from more than one person that Alexandros has gone down in quality.

I had a cheap and delicious Square Boy gyro last month.

I've heard from more than one person that Alexandros has gone down in quality.

I had a cheap and delicious Square Boy gyro last month.

I haven't been there in a while but I recall their gyro as not being the real deal, i.e. they buy their meat already rolled and prepared for the rotisserie. Maybe it's changed??
I do remember liking their chicken souvlaki.

As for Alexandros, boy did it ever nosedive. I think it got sold along the way. I know that Peter, the guy behind the counter for years, left and is now a waiter at Pantheon.

Had a late lunch at Nando's. Seems to be very popular with the high school set. I felt like I was in a Riverdale -- as in Betty and Veronica -- malt shop. You order at the counter and then pick up your drink (assuming you're not getting alcohol) at a side counter which also has cutlery and condiments. I had a mushroom and halloumi sandwich, tasty but super messy. A side Caesar. Nothing special. And peri-peri fries. I was disappointed to learn that all their potatoes are frozen. I'd go back but with my grandnieces who would enjoy it. I can see why the teens like it.

Had a late lunch at Nando's. Seems to be very popular with the high school set. I felt like I was in a Riverdale -- as in Betty and Veronica -- malt shop. You order at the counter and then pick up your drink (assuming you're not getting alcohol) at a side counter which also has cutlery and condiments. I had a mushroom and halloumi sandwich, tasty but super messy. A side Caesar. Nothing special. And peri-peri fries. I was disappointed to learn that all their potatoes are frozen. I'd go back but with my grandnieces who would enjoy it. I can see why the teens like it.

We like take-out chicken, so it will be nice to have in the 'hood. I like that the SE corner of Pape and Danforth has something other than a bank on it.

Last edited:
We like take-out chicken, so it will be nice to have in the 'hood. I like that the SE corner of Pape and Danforth has something other than a bank on it.

Oh it wasn't bad. And I used to love the take-out chicken from Sun Valley, so I get it. It's just more of a family place which is fine. Riverdale could use more of those non-Greek places that welcome kids.

Went to dinner at the new Piccadilly Delicatessen at Carlaw and Danforth couple of times since they opened. Unassuming exterior but the food was fantastic. Had one of the best homemade French onion soups there, and generous and tasty corned beef sandwiches too. The owner, Denis, is a very gracious and friendly host. If you haven't checked it out yet, we highly recommend it!

Went to dinner at the new Piccadilly Delicatessen at Carlaw and Danforth couple of times since they opened. Unassuming exterior but the food was fantastic. Had one of the best homemade French onion soups there, and generous and tasty corned beef sandwiches too. The owner, Denis, is a very gracious and friendly host. If you haven't checked it out yet, we highly recommend it!

Thank you for not calling those sandwiches "smoked meat." :)

Thank you for not calling those sandwiches "smoked meat." :)

On a related point, the new bagel place on the north side between Carlaw and Gough (where the candy store used to be), is open and has a large sign promising "Montreal-style bagels". Not Montreal bagels, but Montreal-style - not sure if they are trying to make a distinction there or not. I assume that means the usual kaiser buns with holes in the middle that so many Torontonians inexplicably love. Has anyone been in there yet?

The place, I am told, moved from Yonge, where it got good reviews.

On a related point, the new bagel place on the north side between Carlaw and Gough (where the candy store used to be), is open and has a large sign promising "Montreal-style bagels". Not Montreal bagels, but Montreal-style - not sure if they are trying to make a distinction there or not. I assume that means the usual kaiser buns with holes in the middle that so many Torontonians inexplicably love. Has anyone been in there yet?

The place, I am told, moved from Yonge, where it got good reviews.

They are not even Montreal "style" bagels unless there's a wood-fired oven. I guess you can't call them "Montreal" bagels unless they're made in Montreal. Anyway, I ought to check them out. We just spent an extended Easter weekend in Montreal where I had a whole wheat bagel (even whole wheat is a bagel blasphemy) every morning with (horrors!) peanut butter and blueberry jam.

Next time I am there, I will drop in.

They are not even Montreal "style" bagels unless there's a wood-fired oven. I guess you can't call them "Montreal" bagels unless they're made in Montreal. Anyway, I ought to check them out. We just spent an extended Easter weekend in Montreal where I had a whole wheat bagel (even whole wheat is a bagel blasphemy) every morning with (horrors!) peanut butter and blueberry jam.

Next time I am there, I will drop in.

I tried their bagels last week and they were ok, but definitely should not be using the 'Montreal' title. Tasted more like the kaiser-with-a-whole type bagel. Pretty much what you would get at Loblaw bakery. They were fluffy and light, as opposed to the denser Montreal bagels. They also weren't very crispy (likely due to the lack of the wood oven) and lacked the sweet/sour flavour that you find in a really great bagel.

Sorry to say, I won't be going back.

Normally the spring is when new businesses open on the Danforth, so they can get established before Waste of the Danforth begins in August. Historically a lot of they them close the next February. I walked by earlier today and Piccadilly Deli has been cleared out completely and is now closed. The kitchen appliances, tables and interior fixture have all been removed. They had problems recruiting staff, and the rent was probably a small ransom, it is unfortunate that small mom and pop shops have such obstacles. Walking from Logan to Pape, one can't help but notice all the empty storefronts this year. Seems like its more than in the past.

Back