News   Apr 25, 2024
 628     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

Riverdale

Regarding brigantinos....the new Italian resto. I've been twice and found the food good and the prices reasonable both times. The mood is charming and the service prompt and polite. I will return and I hope the restaurant does well.

Happy to see that independent restaurants are still popping up on the Danforth. I'm dreading the inevitable invasion of 'premium casual' chains like Milestones and Moxie's.

The building at 888 Danforth (NW corner of Danforth and Starbucks), which was going to be a Shopsy's with a Soul Kitchen catering kitchen in the back (until Fragedakis pandered to NIMBYs and helped kill that project), will now be a ... Starbucks.

I'm surprised by the huge Starbucks 'desert' between Carlaw and Broadview. I feel like any similar retail strip in Toronto would have two Starbucks locations.

Last edited:
The stretch between Carlaw and Broadview has one Starbucks (the new one, north side, towards Broadview), and almost has two (the Starbucks at Gough and Danforth is only one block east of Carlaw).

The stretch between Carlaw and Broadview has one Starbucks (the new one, north side, towards Broadview), and almost has two (the Starbucks at Gough and Danforth is only one block east of Carlaw).

Didn't know there was a new one at Broadview. Thanks! Didn't notice given that when I'm in the area I prefer Broadview Espresso up the road.

Fresh Express Fine Foods across from Pape Station is now closed and the space is for lease

Orange Fitness & Cafe Fiorentina on Danforth look to be ready to open soon...also, the old Absolute Bakery space on Danforth at Carlaw will soon open as Picadilly Delicatessen and Restaurant

Last edited:
The Meridian Credit Union is moving into the old Yogurty's/Jamba Juice space on the SW corner of Logan and Danforth. Unclear from the Buildings website if the credit union is taking both storefronts, or just one of them.

Woo-hoo - a credit union. Be still my heart.

A sign of neigbourhood's changing demographics is that the KFC across from Bridgeport on Gerrard has closed after 50 years. It's a large parcel, perfect for redevelopment.

I've never really notice before, but that KFC parcel is a decently sized site. Larger than the Timmie's site just down the street.

Great news, that stretch is a blight [...]

The KFC site on Gerrard East, across from Bridgepoint Health, is subject to a proposal to sever the lot into 13 parcels of land with a common element driveway. The development would include ten three-storey freehold townhomes, two three-storey mixed use buildings with ground floor retail and a residential unit above, and one single-family detached house. As best can be gleaned from the City's website, a PPR/zoning review application has been submitted to Buildings, but no consent or variance/rezoning applications have been submitted (likely awaiting the results of the PPR).

Does anyone know what could be happening at 339 Broadview Ave (in East Chinatown, next to Bike Sauce)? This storefront has been vacant for years but in the past week or so, there has been activity at the site (renovations, etc).

Extremely disappointed after visiting the new Brigantino's Italian Restaurant at 401 Danforth. I was hoping this place would fill a void on the Danforth but I'm now willing to bet, it won't last longer than six months.

Good call! Brigantino's is now closed due to non-payment of rent!

Good call! Brigantino's is now closed due to non-payment of rent!

Well that's too bad. I thought it was pretty good for a family southern-Italian restaurant.

Tonight a bunch of us -- as it happens -- went to try Paul's Spaghetti House on Cosburn between Greenwood and Coxwell where apparently it has thrived for decades. Ut was pretty good. Not great. But good. Of course, it's Old East York, not Riverdale.

I saw the news about Brigantino's on one of the Facebook neighbourhood groups. We had meant to try it, but had never managed to get there. Heard some mixed things about it, but the kudos did substantially outnumber the criticisms. A bit of a shame. I always thought their signage was a mistake - cheap and dated. Did nothing to make people notice the place in a good way.

Back