News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 205     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 673     0 

Riverdale

Airbnb now offering foodie tours of Toronto’s Greektown

<For $45, including the cost of food, participants will start their experience near the Bloor St. viaduct before a cup of Greek coffee and a little fortune telling at Village Pie. They will stop at Alexander the Great Square at Logan Ave. for a little history and carry on for lunch at Souv Like.

“It seems like a dive but it’s honestly an amazing place and it’s where Greeks go to eat Greek food,” he said.

The last stop is dessert at Serano bakery where, “As soon as you open the door you’re hit by aroma,” said Bamboulis.>

Its not that the other souvlaki joints are bad or anything, but once you have been to souv like its hard to recomend anything else, and yes greeks love it.

Still havent been to village pie yet.

Looks like the Pizza Pizza at Danforth and Broadview will be renovated, along with the adjacent (long vacant) video store facing Broadview, in order to create a Pizza Pizza/A&W outlet.

85 Danforth.png

Attachments

• 85 Danforth.png
    85 Danforth.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 589
Is Messini still doing well at Danforth and Logan? It seemed to buck the trend of struggling Danforth Greek restos. Three years ago there were lineups every evening I walked by.

Is Messini still doing well at Danforth and Logan? It seemed to buck the trend of struggling Danforth Greek restos. Three years ago there were lineups every evening I walked by.

It is particularly amongst non Greeks and evening lineups are still common, but it's more based on its reputation from its early days, the quality has gone downhill over time and this may sound harsh but I'd rate it pretty low overall, Louis next door, the 2 asterias, souv like, hunters (best chicken Souv), Alexandros (barely) etc are all better, as are the few up and down pape (follia, Greek boy and tzatziki) , Hell even Detroit eatery and bite me grill makes a better souv these days. In terms of restaurants anestis has been a good addition to the area, actually can't complain with the new Greek ones overall, even village pie just west of Chester is giving Athens pastries and akropolis a run for its money.

It is particularly amongst non Greeks and evening lineups are still common, but it's more based on its reputation from its early days, the quality has gone downhill over time and this may sound harsh but I'd rate it pretty low overall, Louis next door, the 2 asterias, souv like, hunters (best chicken Souv), Alexandros (barely) etc are all better, as are the few up and down pape (follia, Greek boy and tzatziki) , Hell even Detroit eatery and bite me grill makes a better souv these days. In terms of restaurants anestis has been a good addition to the area, actually can't complain with the new Greek ones overall, even village pie just west of Chester is giving Athens pastries and akropolis a run for its money.

Meh. We went very soon after it opened and we thought it overpriced and overrated. I also couldn't get over the French fries stuffed in there. I understand that that's how they do it in Greece -- that's what I have been told anyway -- but, to me, it was too starchy. The fries overwhelmed the flavours of the meat, tomatoes, onions and, in particular, the tzatziki. So no thanks. We stuck to Alexandros which was good back then, plus you could sit outside and people watch, and, for takeout, Louis.

Now for us it's mostly Folia Grill, where they also have had a tendency to add fries. Blech. Leave them out please. If I want fries, I will order fries.

What is the Bite Me Grill?

ETA: Speaking of Greek restaurants, I really don't understand anymore why there aren't any here which are as good as Milos, Zante, Panama, Elounda etc. in Montreal. For one thing, I would LOVE to find something as simple as paper-thin eggplant and zucchini, lightly battered and fried crisp, stacked in a towering pile and surrounded by nuclear strength tzatziki. This isn't Montreal chauvinism. It is real curiosity.

Looks like the Pizza Pizza at Danforth and Broadview will be renovated, along with the adjacent (long vacant) video store facing Broadview, in order to create a Pizza Pizza/A&W outlet.

View attachment 101928

While it's good to have that spot leased, I think this is a missed opportunity to add some density to that intersection. They could easily demolish that building and build something 3 storeys there. Most of the other buildings on that intersection are 3 storeys. The 'Neolook Accessories' store right beside it has had a 'closing sale' for the last few years? it seems and one wonders whether this redevelopment will open up that storefront as well.

Based on municipal addresses, the Neolook building does not appear to be caught in this, but who knows.

It's a difficult location to make work for higher density in terms of vehicular access.

Meh. We went very soon after it opened and we thought it overpriced and overrated. I also couldn't get over the French fries stuffed in there. I understand that that's how they do it in Greece -- that's what I have been told anyway -- but, to me, it was too starchy. The fries overwhelmed the flavours of the meat, tomatoes, onions and, in particular, the tzatziki. So no thanks. We stuck to Alexandros which was good back then, plus you could sit outside and people watch, and, for takeout, Louis.

Now for us it's mostly Folia Grill, where they also have had a tendency to add fries. Blech. Leave them out please. If I want fries, I will order fries.

What is the Bite Me Grill?

ETA: Speaking of Greek restaurants, I really don't understand anymore why there aren't any here which are as good as Milos, Zante, Panama, Elounda etc. in Montreal. For one thing, I would LOVE to find something as simple as paper-thin eggplant and zucchini, lightly battered and fried crisp, stacked in a towering pile and surrounded by nuclear strength tzatziki. This isn't Montreal chauvinism. It is real curiosity.

The French fries thing started in the early 90s, basically it was a gimmick they came up with in Greece to use less meat and stuff it all with fries, then the Greeks noticed it here and in other cities and suddenly it became a worldwide thing, I'm pretty sure if you ask for one here without fries they would do it for you, no go in Greece though they almost get offended if you ask them and they wouldn't do it anyway.

Bite me grill is a greek place just east of pape, think it's the next block, corner Danforth and Eaton I think, seems more popular for breakfast though. Had a souvlaki there once and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than messinis, which is funny considering this place is more like a diner, this was about two years ago, i believe they have a website.

I can't speak of Montreal but from people that spend a lot of time there they say the exact same things as you, for a city with such a significant Greek representation the quality of our restaurants are deplorable. The word boring comes to mind when I think of the offerings here.

Back