News   Apr 19, 2024
 151     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 834     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.9K     2 

Riverdale

Just throwing it out there... but I wonder if Chinatown East had re-branded itself more as a "Viet-Town" whether it would have created a more unique identity for itself. Perhaps staving-off some of the perceived decline too.

Interesting idea however I think that, by the time the Vietnamese had settled in, many were moving out. So I don't think there would have been a cohesive critical mass. That area has been in transition since c.1992-3

Saturday Dinette will stop serving dinners at the end of the month, and focus exclusively on brunches seven days a week. They are also opening a new lunch counter/bar, Kid Chocolate, a few doors to the east, where Hangry catering used to be (and before that, the much missed Sully's Sandwich Shop).

The vacant unit south of Pizza Pizza at Danforth and Broadview is becoming an A&W.

Was hoping for Mexican, but this works.

Yeah, I think that's been mentioned in this thread a couple of times now. I agree with you - not groundbreaking, but if it's going to be a fast food outlet I like A&W, and it's certainly better than a old vacant video store.

I'm a fan of Mexican, at least "junk food" Mexican. There's actually no shortage of it in the hood.

For nachos, burritos, churros etc. we tried Fernando's Hideaway, south side, just east of Shoppers between Pape & Jones. A killer Margarita.

We've been to El Sol further east but they actually ran out of lime around 9 pm on a Saturday. I was not impressed despite their more comprehensive menu.

Burrito House is great take-out.

I have not yet tried Tilde. I should.

Then there's Mexico Lindo, also on my to do list. We used to go there back through other owner iterations.

That said, another burger joint? Really?

Oh, I haven't been to El Sol for several years. Love that place so much. The lineups used to be crazy and the service is so slow but the food is exceptional, as is the sangria.

Sad news. Saturday Dinette is closing. Same reason previous tenant, Hammersmith's, also closed: landlord issues. That landlord is now responsible for chasing away two neighbourhood treasures.

She is still opening Kid Chocolate a few doors down, as noted previously in this thread.

Any suggestions for good Ethiopian on the Danforth? I understand there is no shortage of options between Donlands and Coxwell.

Some Danforth retail news:
  • The vacant spot near the SW corner of Carlaw and Danforth (547 Danforth), location of the failed Piccadilly Deli, and before that the failed Absolute Bakery, has signs on the window for "Original Gyro Grill". Because that's what the Danforth needs.
  • Mister Frenchy at 675 Danforth (between the Court Jester and Greenwood Smokehouse) has been open for a week or so, serving French street food. Open in time for Taste of the Danforth.
  • The vacant former location of Canadian Tire Express, at Danforth and Gough, had signs going up this morning for "Spirit of Hallowe'en". A good temporary use for a vacant storefront, but good God, surely it isn't opening in early August?
That is all.

Back