News   May 13, 2024
 417     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 705     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     2 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

The juxtaposition of the pro-subway sign against the backdrop of a gas station on the corner of a major intersection is pretty funny...

I get what you are saying but, for example, if the DRL tracks along Wellington (one of the suggested routes) it will have two gas stations above it at Spadina.....gas stations are everywhere! ;)

Wow. It's bizarro world where better transit & more people moving in is a bad thing that decreases property values.

They're afraid of new people moving in to their neighbourhood due to the LRT.... yet they want a subway?

Lol to get the undesirables through to STC without seeing them :rolleyes:

I do find there's an undercurrent of fear in nimbyism where people are afraid of "other" groups of people invading "their" neighbourhood. "Other" could be single people, young people, lower-income people, people who speak a different language or look different.

I do find there's an undercurrent of fear in nimbyism where people are afraid of "other" groups of people invading "their" neighbourhood. "Other" could be single people, young people, lower-income people, people who speak a different language or look different.

It's funny because Scarborough is a minority-majority borough as well.

The amount of misinformation right now...

BoklceOCQAEGQT5.png:large

The calculation of walk time is very simplistic and overly conservative. Because of connecting bus routes, and since there is more development that the major intersections - where there would be a station anyway, I would say that over 3/4 of the people will have the same walk to a subway stop as to an LRT stop.

Because of connecting bus routes, and since there is more development that the major intersections - where there would be a station anyway, I would say that over 3/4 of the people will have the same walk to a subway stop as to an LRT stop.

If you are going to include connecting routes in that metric, one would hope it is reflected in the overall travel time (including waits) instead of the simplistic measure of in-vehicle travel time.

AoD

All the proposals for the Sheppard subway have it going to Kennedy and then turning south to Scarborough Centre. So if you are going from Neilson to Sheppard/Yonge, you would take the 85 to Kennedy then the subway if the subway were built. If the LRT were built you would take the LRT to Don Mills then the subway to Yonge. I think it would take about the same amount of time either way. So my guess is people east of Kennedy will be indifferent between the two options. People west of Kennedy and at STC will strongly support the subway (assuming there is enough money to build it).

I strongly suspect that we will end up with neither subway nor LRT.

I find it funny that the pro-subway people in Sheppard East are those that want a bus-free and LRT-free commute, as well as driving up (no pun intended) real estate value.

This is what it's really all about. Some want nothing, some truly want subways, some don't want to see the "others" on LRT, but everyone takes a look at North York and Etobicoke, sees those high home prices and wonders why, that isn't us!?!

Back