News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

Check out the parking lot of Maple GO station one day. Full of lexuses, BMWs, Mercedes, etc. Wealthy people take transit, just in lesser numbers than "regular people".

I get your point with regards to the very rich. All I'm saying is a large portion of working people in Toronto with very good salaries do take transit. You always see a massive crowd of people coming from both the subway and union station GO flooding into the financial district.

Even in you're example, if I read correctly, 2 out of 4 people took the subway.

2 of 6.....ironically.....the only 2 from the group who reside in 905.

My best friend's parents live in a Woodbridge McMansion and they're quite loaded. Her mom works downtown and drives to Downsview then takes the subway. The rich do take transit too, just not all of them obviously.. same can be said of any income group I guess!

In Ottawa, the federal government in many cases does not provide parking to employees, even those who are quite high up. You see plenty of middle-aged people in suits on the Transitway every morning.

When you're in a city or situation where transit is undeniably worse than driving, places with very little traffic congestion where the only transit is local buses in mixed traffic, then it tends to be those who can't drive or can't afford to drive that use transit. If transit is mixed in with traffic, it will pretty much always be slower than driving. Places like small towns, or suburban areas with giant free parking lots.

When you're in a city where transit is actually faster, easier, more convenient, or much cheaper than driving due to traffic or parking availability & prices, then the rich & middle class often do take transit. Big cities like NYC, downtown Toronto, London, etc, the rich take transit.

When you're in a city where transit is actually faster, easier, more convenient, or much cheaper than driving due to traffic or parking availability & prices, then the rich & middle class often do take transit. Big cities like NYC, downtown Toronto, London, etc, the rich take transit.
The point of my anecdotes (like the one yesterday) is that I don't see it enough to call it often....I think it is occasionally and more often than not I see them mocking/avoiding transit.

Back