News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

I sure hope you got the $50-$100 to subsidizes every riders on those white elephant considering it Cost $17 today for the stub one??? It cost close to $10 million to operate the elephant today.

Before anyone thinks about taking the DRL over to Dundas West before the line is built to Steeles in the east in the first place, how are you going to deal with the extra 35% of riders trying to get on the over crowd Yonge north of Bloor that will be coming by 2030???

What is this need to have the DRL to Dundas West when it should be going over and up Jane in the first place???

It's really short sighted.

I hope they don't try and pull a Ford and try and try and make them subways.

https://twitter.com/JPBoutros/status/470753305866809344/photo/1

BohzowTCcAAYZ5A.jpg:large

I don't know what this looks like to you but it looks like they missed the LRT on purpose. They are running from Sheppard East.

Where do you come up with this stuff? He's made no commitment to do either during this term in office.

On the transit front, there's only one possible choice in this election, given that the NDP have somehow managed to promise even less than Hudak.

Lol that's absolutely pathetic.

The Big Move is the kind of thing that the NDP should be working with the Liberals to build. But since Horwath's new populist NDP has no principals, anything goes. No more transit! Vote NDP! ;)

It's really short sighted.

Being short sighted for not building subway in place of LRT's is like going to the bank and asking for a Million Dollar loan knowing that you only have 25 cents for each dollar of interest as well 75 cents on the principle.

For the extra dollars to build subways, what part of a transit system do you want to gut to pay for it??

Surface routes will support business a lot better than underground routes. Also, surface routes put more eyes on the street to help make them more safe.

Subways need to be where they will do the most good as well carry the higher ridership that a BRT or LRT cannot do.

The DRL is the main subway to be built first in the east to Steeles as it will have the most effect in dealing with the Yonge Line. Going to Danforth doesn't do anything for the line stopping there.

Taking the DRL over to Jane Street and then up it to Eglinton will deal with the issue in that area for no room for a ROW on the surface.

Ridership is not there now or 40 years on Finch or Sheppard to justify a subway in place of an LRT or BRT.

I prefer the DRL to be a REX that has at least 3 tracks and able to handle double deck trains up to 10 cars long.

The subway to Cloverdale, from Finch to Steeles on the Yonge line and the eastern DRL is what we needed yesterday. That is over 10 billion at today rate. I don't see 10 billion floating around to do this at this time or 5 years from now let alone the white elephants.

I don't think there has ever been a minority government defeated on their budget that came back with the same budget once regaining power.

It will most definitely not be the identical budget....what changes we don't know but it will change. This budget was written with an NDP mindset....it either would get their support and keep the Liberals in power or make it very difficult for people on the left to support the NDP after defeating their "dream budget". After the election, that threat/pressure will be gone and there will be room to make changes to the budget. I am not saying the changes will be in the area of transit (although they may be) but there will be changes.

Mrs. Wynne has has that if reelected, her party will reintroduce the same budget:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2653612

Question: is there anything stopping the NDP from defeating this budget when the Liberals reintroduce it after their potential reelection? I know it would be kind of silly for them to do so, but I don't think there's anything procedural stopping the NDP from defeating if again. Especially since this election was called by the Governer General and not through a vote of non confidence.

I don't think they would be stupid enough for that. Besides, the $15 billion is almost over accounted for. counting up the projects, assuming $8 billion for the 15 minute GO service system wide, you are looking at roughly $18 billion of spending from $15 billion in dollars. Idk what they want to do with that. They may turn the Finch LRT to BRT, but upgrading isn't affordable.

All of their proposed highway expansions are all previously funded as well, they aren't listing anything new there.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/JPBoutros/status/470753305866809344/photo/1

BohzowTCcAAYZ5A.jpg:large

I don't know what this looks like to you but it looks like they missed the LRT on purpose. They are running from Sheppard East.

I have to agree with what you're saying. We all know that the Liberal Scarborough Caucas delayed the SELRT since wasting a few Billion on the Sheppard East subway would be a good way to buy a few votes in a potential byelection.

As long as there's no byelection the SELRT should be safe.

It would be great if one of us who uses twitter could ask Glen Murray about this. Just to see if he'll commit to LRT.

Last edited:
I really doubt that there's any real thought given to modifying the SELRT and FWLRT plans, especially with regards to subway. More likely it's because LRT seems (stupidly) to be a poisonous term in Toronto, and leaving the wording vague leaves room for misinterpretation and vote-buying.

Being short sighted for not building subway in place of LRT's is like going to the bank and asking for a Million Dollar loan knowing that you only have 25 cents for each dollar of interest as well 75 cents on the principle.

For the extra dollars to build subways, what part of a transit system do you want to gut to pay for it??

Surface routes will support business a lot better than underground routes. Also, surface routes put more eyes on the street to help make them more safe.

Subways need to be where they will do the most good as well carry the higher ridership that a BRT or LRT cannot do.

The DRL is the main subway to be built first in the east to Steeles as it will have the most effect in dealing with the Yonge Line. Going to Danforth doesn't do anything for the line stopping there.

Taking the DRL over to Jane Street and then up it to Eglinton will deal with the issue in that area for no room for a ROW on the surface.

Ridership is not there now or 40 years on Finch or Sheppard to justify a subway in place of an LRT or BRT.

I prefer the DRL to be a REX that has at least 3 tracks and able to handle double deck trains up to 10 cars long.

The subway to Cloverdale, from Finch to Steeles on the Yonge line and the eastern DRL is what we needed yesterday. That is over 10 billion at today rate. I don't see 10 billion floating around to do this at this time or 5 years from now let alone the white elephants.
No No, I mean, to demand on subway on sheppard east when when don't have the money bar new taxes. I agree with you.
I don't think they would be stupid enough for that. Besides, the $15 billion is almost over accounted for. counting up the projects, assuming $8 billion for the 15 minute GO service system wide, you are looking at roughly $18 billion of spending from $15 billion in dollars. Idk what they want to do with that. They may turn the Finch LRT to BRT, but upgrading isn't affordable.

All of their proposed highway expansions are all previously funded as well, they aren't listing anything new there.

I have to agree with what you're saying. We all know that the Liberal Scarborough Caucas delayed the SELRT since wasting a few Billion on the Sheppard East subway would be a good way to buy a few votes in a potential byelection.

As long as there's no byelection the SELRT should be safe.

It would be great if one of us who uses twitter could ask Glen Murray about this. Just to see if he'll commit to LRT.
I do too, but if the Liberals get a minority , expect Finch and Sheppard (the LRT) to be on the chopping block. That budget will be the same if they get a majority. Not smart to risk an election again. For any party. Best to come to a compromise. Brad Dugid and the Scarborough Liberal Caucus are behind this.

Very strange. They seem to make a large effort to avoid the term LRT for Finch & Sheppard yet they use it for Eglinton even though they could easily have not (could have said "Eglinton Crosstown" or "Eglinton Crosstown transit line".

Maybe polling shows that the areas where the Finch & Sheppard LRTs are don't want LRT..

Back