News   Apr 25, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 987     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

The comments seem to be from a single-occupant automobile driver point-of-view, not a transit user. Spadina can be better with less stops, if it wasn't for the NIMBYs.

Spadina is the only dependable street car route to drive beside. If anything it's a stunning success.

The only people complaining about the SELRT are the older generation who doesn't plan to take public transit on a regular basis ever again in their life time. The younger generation don't mind it at all.

Spadina can be better with less stops, if it wasn't for the NIMBYs.

The streetcars also wait for the cars to make left turns first when the light turns green, which is an absurd take of priority signaling. Given the frequency of the stops too, I hope the at grade portion of Eglinton LRT (or Finch W, for that matter) doesn't turn out like this.

Last edited:
The streetcars also wait for the cars to make left turns first when the light turns green, which is an absurd take of priority signaling. Given the frequency of the stops too, I hope the at grade portion of Eglinton LRT (or Finch W, for that matter) doesn't turn out like this.

The city (and province) still give priority to single-occupant automobiles. The left turn motor vehicles should wait for the streetcar to cross, unless there is no streetcars. That is transit priority in my book, not the current situation where they might extend the green light (for all).

What they really should do is move to a system like Montreal's, where the left turn signal comes on after the green light. This could also allow more green light time, since at some intersections all the cars would all turn during the regular green light and no turning-only phase would be needed.

The city (and province) still give priority to single-occupant automobiles. The left turn motor vehicles should wait for the streetcar to cross, unless there is no streetcars. That is transit priority in my book, not the current situation where they might extend the green light (for all).

I think that should be doable. If there is a streetcar waiting to cross, then a very short transit-only signal (10 s) should be given. Then, perhaps a 5 s wait, and the regular left-turn phase can begin. A 15 s total delay will not have much effect on the car flow, and it won't even occur on every cycle.

One can even think how to customize that further. For example if the streetcar is running ahead of schedule, it can signal the traffic control not to provide a transit-only signal, and thus get closer to schedule.

What they really should do is move to a system like Montreal's, where the left turn signal comes on after the green light. This could also allow more green light time, since at some intersections all the cars would all turn during the regular green light and no turning-only phase would be needed.
Potential "yellow trap" hazard perhaps?

I think that should be doable. If there is a streetcar waiting to cross, then a very short transit-only signal (10 s) should be given. Then, perhaps a 5 s wait, and the regular left-turn phase can begin. A 15 s total delay will not have much effect on the car flow, and it won't even occur on every cycle.

One can even think how to customize that further. For example if the streetcar is running ahead of schedule, it can signal the traffic control not to provide a transit-only signal, and thus get closer to schedule.
The new CAD/AVL system TTC is getting should be able to allow for such control over transit priority. Right now, transit priority is automatic and is triggered by vehicle itself even if the vehicle is early.

The new CAD/AVL system TTC is getting should be able to allow for such control over transit priority.

How do you figure? The existing transit priority system isn't going anywhere, and the CAD/AVL isn't being interfaced with the City's traffic light system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Don't even have to go as far as Montreal to see this, Oshawa does this during rush hour for the lights in between their one way streets downtown.

Don't even have to go as far as Montreal to see this, Oshawa does this during rush hour for the lights in between their one way streets downtown.

I'd also argue you might want a delayed pedestrian start to let right-turning traffic clear first. Although implementing both would theoretically reduce the overall pedestrian time.

Back