News   Apr 24, 2024
 749     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 569     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

And the Minister of Transport reiterated the commitment to build Sheppard East after Finch West is completed. So this doesn't particularly change anything. The upcoming provincial election is presumably the big issue.

And the Minister of Transport reiterated the commitment to build Sheppard East after Finch West is completed. So this doesn't particularly change anything. The upcoming provincial election is presumably the big issue.

I think the Sheppard subway will be built but its going to be another decade or two before it gains traction for formal announcements or funding commitments. We may see Scarborough built in 2 phases:

1.SSE and Eglinton East LRT
2.Sheppard subway and likely a Malvern LRT extension from SCC and or Eglinton East LRT

Aside from Sheppard subway election chatter sure to come there is too much other transit business to get thru with the DRL, Waterfront LRT, Eglinton East/West, Smarttrack etc. But any candidate who wants to promote LRT here without converting the subway stub will likely face a similar fate. In any event its likely a non starter at this point

Last edited:
So is a subway along Sheppard. I suppose it's not impossible that there'll not be another stop or two in North York. But they'll never build a subway along Sheppard to Meadowvale!

Medowvale? The subway will go to SCC. Politicians may still be keeping the LRT on paper, but its been dead for some time. LRT from Eglinton East or thru a branch from SCC will go to Malvern and at some point maybe the Zoo (but I have no faith that part will happen). I would say there was more support for the SSE to be LRT than Sheppard. So once SCC is connected and as the existing stub is still stares Sheppard East residents in the face it will become the "priority" for Scarborough residents over the next decade to two.

Unless they have plans to convert the stub to LRT Its a non-starter and this extension wont go away. I see it just going to the back burner for a couple decades as far as funding talks are concerned

Last edited:
Medowvale? The subway will go to SCC.
SCC - that seems very unlikely. That plan from the 1980s assumed that North York would become like another downtown, and that the Danforth subway wasn't going to be extended to SCC. Given the last numbers showed that taking the Sheppard line to SCC had really dreadful ridership east of Agincourt, and now they've building the subway link to SCC from the southwest, instead of the northwest, that becomes even less likely.

Politicians may still be keeping the LRT on paper, but its been dead for some time.
Though not as dead as the Scarborough subway. No one has had a pretense about keeping that idea alive, since Mayor David Miller pushed for it many, many years ago.

SCC - that seems very unlikely. That plan from the 1980s assumed that North York would become like another downtown, and that the Danforth subway wasn't going to be extended to SCC. Given the last numbers showed that taking the Sheppard line to SCC had really dreadful ridership east of Agincourt, and now they've building the subway link to SCC from the southwest, instead of the northwest, that becomes even less likely.

Though not as dead as the Scarborough subway. No one has had a pretense about keeping that idea alive, since Mayor David Miller pushed for it many, many years ago.

We'll see. Lots of time now before Politicians show there clear hand again on this one. The support for Sheppard subway is quite large, make your own conclusions what might happen. An Agincourt to SCC alignment could be a likely outcome to me. With LRT addressing Malvern and North East connection to Eglinton East and SCC

Is Eglinton East LRT to Malvern more likely than Sheppard East LRT or something else to Malvern?

Likely a combo for Malvern in the long term plan. Given the Politics of the City it's far more likely they design the Eglinton East LRT into Malvern soon after the current line us funded as its the easiest and quickest way to give Malvern some type of connection and acknowledgement while the Sheppard subway is debated. After Sheppard is resolved we'll likely see a SCC to Malvern extension debated (abbreviated SLRT). Unfortunately it will likely be 10 plus years before we see any line in Malvern open and thats if they extend Eglinton during construction.

The Sheppard East LRT has been very much dead for years and would only be Political suicide going forward. Extremely limited support for this line thru-out Scarborough.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it will likely be 10 plus years before we see any line in Malvern open and thats if they extend Eglinton during construction.

You'll be lucky to see Danforth extended to SSC in that time frame. Malvern forget about it.

You'll be lucky to see Danforth extended to SSC in that time frame. Malvern forget about it.

Thats not what I referred to whatseover. I said the Eglinton East LRT extension to Malvern could be reasonably extended in that time frame of approx. 10 years. Meaning if they start design during the construction of the Eglinton East extension in 3-5 years than its very reasonable to see it added in that time frame and its quite likely that both the SSE and Eglinton East are both complete by 2027-2030. It will be a Political gesture to extend to Malvern as they debate Sheppard for a couple decades out. And I agree a SCC extension into Malvern will not even in discussion until Sheppard is finalized.

If they extend the Eglinton East LRT in Malvern then the Malvern to SCC connection is likely 5th in line in Scarborough captial public transit priorities. Sheppard is a priority here but subway-LRT Politics will hold it up and Eglinton LRT and Ellesmere BRT are easy much easier to achieve in both politics and cost.

10-15 Years
1.SSE/Smarttrack
2.Eglinton East LRT
3.Scarb-Durham BRT

20-40 Years (my guess)
4.Sheppard transit
5.Malvern to SCC/SCC cross-City Centre

Last edited:

Back