News   Apr 26, 2024
 76     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

And Sheppard East will never happen to Scarborough Centre - the ridership was ridiculously low east of Agincourt - and it will be even worse now that's there's already a competing subway going there, which was never planned previously.

Where did you find the per-station ridership breakdown for Sheppard East?

Where did you find the per-station ridership breakdown for Sheppard East?
I'd like too see that myself.
I've always figured the Bloor extension would happen sooner or later - if only to get to a new yard in Etobicoke. But I'm not convinced the Danforth extension will happen.

And Sheppard East will never happen to Scarborough Centre - the ridership was ridiculously low east of Agincourt - and it will be even worse now that's there's already a competing subway going there, which was never planned previously.
They'll find a way to loop it in and connect both. De Baeremaeker just tried too. If ridership mattered at all, neither subway would happen.

They'll find a way to loop it in and connect both. De Baeremaeker just tried too. If ridership mattered at all, neither subway would happen.
Danforth's aren't that terrible, not for the final stop. They were quasi-respectable for the 3-stop version. This issue however, is that there were more passengers and a much bigger service areas, for the LRT plan.

I've always figured the Bloor extension would happen sooner or later - if only to get to a new yard in Etobicoke. But I'm not convinced the Danforth extension will happen.

I don't think anyone has called for a subway on Sheppard Avenue proper east of Agincourt. The only two points east of there that could support a subway can be accessed via a subway stemming from the Town Centre.

I don't think anyone has called for a subway on Sheppard Avenue proper east of Agincourt.
I'm referring to the originally planned Sheppard subway stations for the east extension, that are east of Agincourt station. i.e. Progress station and Scarborough Centre station. Both are south of the 401.

Sheppard_Yonge_Eastward.gif

Transit is not just able moving people. It's better to move people in need (people in poverty that can't afford a car) oppose to people that can drive if there's no subway. That's how we can help people get to more jobs quicker. The city calls the "priority neighbourhoods." Where does the people in needs of better transit lives along Sheppard? East of Markham Rd. Where does the better off people live? West of McCowan.

I fully support building the LRT along Sheppard from McCowan/STC to Morningside as an extension to Crosstown East. Whatever happens west of there, let the kids fight over it. I also don't support putting all the eggs in the same basket. TO better not spend > 50% of its transit funds on a Sheppard Subway extension. The rest of the city deserves better. A third of Scabrorough isn't that important.

East of Agincourt it could leave Sheppard and become an Uptown Commuter Rail type service to Rouge Hill, with stations at the campuses, the zoo, etc.

And commuters from Durham will have a non downtown option into Toronto.

Isn't this the line that is pretty much dead?

The reason why I think the sheppherd LRT is in fact dead is because, for the residents along the line, I doubt they'd settle for anything less than a subway. LRT is just such an inferior technology so I don't think anyone who lives there actually wants it.

the Shepperd East LRT could've been a thing - 10 years ago. But now it's dead, Shepperd East Subway extension is the new thing.

Let's build an LRT in downtown - see how they like it LOL

Let's build an LRT in downtown - see how they like it LOL

Like on Spadina, St. Clair, or Harbourfront? Or the Waterfront east. waterfront west and Bremner LRTs that downtown wants but doesn't have funding for?

Like on Spadina, St. Clair, or Harbourfront? Or the Waterfront east. waterfront west and Bremner LRTs that downtown wants but doesn't have funding for?
The one on Spadina is pretty sad though...it just causes traffic jam and no one likes to drive on rails. Not familiar with the other 2 so I won't comment.

imo it's just *barely* better than buses....only due to the frequency but comes with so many cons I'd rather that line didn't exist and was replaced by buses.

Last edited:
The one on Spadina is pretty sad though...it just causes traffic jam and no one likes to drive on rails. Not familiar with the other 2 so I won't comment.

imo it's just *barely* better than buses....only due to the frequency but comes with so many cons I'd rather that line didn't exist and was replaced by buses.
You don't sound very familiar with Spadina either. The only place where cars drive on rails in the same direction as the track is around Spadina Circle, otherwise cars only experience them when crossing laterally at junctions.

The one on Spadina is pretty sad though...it just causes traffic jam and no one likes to drive on rails.
Causes traffic jams? How? I remember driving on Spadina in the 1980s, and there were traffic jams and no streetcars. They didn't take any lanes away to add streetcars - and now the buses aren't in the lanes with the traffic.

Not sure what the big deal is driving on rails - I do it all the time.

You don't find the smoothness of the ride, and lack of side-side shaking isn't also beneficial? I'm sure you recall the recent replacement with buses during construction in 2012 - that seemed horrible to me. Crowded. Stuck in traffic. You preferred that? I guess most don't, given how much ridership on that route increased when the replaced the buses with streetcars.[/QUOTE]

The comments seem to be from a single-occupant automobile driver point-of-view, not a transit user. Spadina can be better with less stops, if it wasn't for the NIMBYs.

Back