News   May 06, 2024
 308     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 720     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It's been a few weeks now, but Downsview Sheppard West station secondary entrance is now presto equipped.

701.jpg

The lines you see along the middle of the floor is unfortunate. It's where the fence used to be (see last photo).

702.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.02.50 AM.png

Attachments

• 702.jpg
    702.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 306
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.02.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 12.02.50 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 324
  • 701.jpg
    701.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 334
I just noticed that the transfer machines are on the wrong side of the fare barrier. Wonder when this will be rectified (not that they're needed there anymore).
Why fix it? People can just take a transfer. Is it worth all the trouble of moving them just to then remove them in a few months?

Probably cheaper just to accept a few lost fares by the time you install all the wiring.

Why fix it? People can just take a transfer. Is it worth all the trouble of moving them just to then remove them in a few months?

Probably cheaper just to accept a few lost fares by the time you install all the wiring.

Fair enough. Although they could just remove them now at this location. Seeing as it's Presto or Metropass only, they're not needed there at all.

What was the point of the long fence down the middle of the corridor? Was there a need to separate fare paid passenger movement along there?

I doubt that they'll lose fares anyways - where are people going to use those transfers? They can't use them at Downsview. In theory, people could go get a transfer, then somehow get to Bathurst, Keele or Finch and take the bus, but is anyone really going to go to that trouble for $3.00?

Fair enough. Although they could just remove them now at this location. Seeing as it's Presto or Metropass only, they're not needed there at all.
Yes, that's true, if they never just open up the larger gates, and have a guy sat there with a farebox, like you see at some busy stations. That might be useful if there's some mega-event in Downsview like the Pope and the Rolling Stones (now that would be an act!).

My guess is that someone else will be along in a few weeks, and remove the transfer machines.

Seems odd that there's 2 accessible gates, and only 1 regular gate - especially as I can see the space for 1-2 more regular gates. Most lines seem to only have one accessible gate, and more regular ones - but I haven't seen too many of the smaller secondary entrance/exits yet. Again they might be thinking about large crowds.

Wow, looks so much better, visually.

Yes, that's true, if they never just open up the larger gates, and have a guy sat there with a farebox, like you see at some busy stations. That might be useful if there's some mega-event in Downsview like the Pope and the Rolling Stones (now that would be an act!).

My guess is that someone else will be along in a few weeks, and remove the transfer machines.

Seems odd that there's 2 accessible gates, and only 1 regular gate - especially as I can see the space for 1-2 more regular gates. Most lines seem to only have one accessible gate, and more regular ones - but I haven't seen too many of the smaller secondary entrance/exits yet. Again they might be thinking about large crowds.

Wow, looks so much better, visually.

I think currently a lot of the accessible gate sites have two so that one takes Metropasses and the other takes Presto. In this picture it actually looks like the sole regular gate and one of the accessible gates are both metropass-only, so I certainly hope the other accessible one takes Presto!

I must say, I'm loving the hidden 2 hour transfer with Presto. This trip today would have cost $9 with tokens (and I wouldn't have bothered at that price), but I was able to run errands at Don Mills/Sheppard and Don Mills/Eglinton, and get back home on one fare:

2nlwlmc.png

It didn't work for me the other day when I had two subway entries within 2 hours of each other :(

Back