News   Apr 26, 2024
 593     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 704     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Had my first presto hardware failure experience the other night....tapped at St Andrew got the big check mark...but the turnstile did not unlock for me....was in a bit of a rush so I thought i would just pay again..but the second tap didn't work (guess system knew I had already tapped)...had to go and line up to tell my story to the station attendant....guess she believed my story and let me through (she did ask which turnstile/presto machine failed as she let me through).

You are not the only one, people were posting complains on the PRESTO twitter page about this issue. Yet PRESTO replied "We'll send this info to our team", this happened over 2-3 months ago. This issue has persisted on only the Scheidt & Bachmann readers, not with the old Thales readers.

Does anyone know exactly why you can't tap multiple times for multiple subway tokens? (like if you wanted to let a whole group of people through) Its not like you can max out TTC trips in a month the way you can for GO fares.

Does anyone know exactly why you can't tap multiple times for multiple subway tokens? (like if you wanted to let a whole group of people through) Its not like you can max out TTC trips in a month the way you can for GO fares.
Because it's not enabled.

And the reason is likely related to the post above. You don't want someone tapping twice by accident. And who knows what it would do for transfers.

On agencies like Brampton and Burlington where you can do this, you have to tell the driver first so he can manually intervene. On GO Transit you have to go to a ticket agent to do this.

On systems with automated POP going on like YRT, you can't do this.

I suppose it's always possible one day in the future, they might put in vending machines that you could purchase multiple tickets with your PrestoCard.

Part of it is because apparently they are finding asbestos in some of the areas they are installing the equipment and they can only remove it when the subway is closed down.
In some locations perhaps. But have there been reports of it at Main? I thought it was more of a problem on the later Yonge extension.

Of course, they are doing a lot more than just putting a reader in the station.

Had my first presto hardware failure experience the other night....tapped at St Andrew got the big check mark...but the turnstile did not unlock for me....was in a bit of a rush so I thought i would just pay again..but the second tap didn't work (guess system knew I had already tapped)...had to go and line up to tell my story to the station attendant....guess she believed my story and let me through (she did ask which turnstile/presto machine failed as she let me through).

Ugh. Imagine what a mess that could've been without a station attendant.

They really should offer refunds when this happens

No mess at all. You would just walk through the gate closest to the booth, which station attendants leave open when they step away.

In some locations perhaps. But have there been reports of it at Main? I thought it was more of a problem on the later Yonge extension.

Of course, they are doing a lot more than just putting a reader in the station.

I'm not specifically sure but it was comenly used when it was built. apparently it was used well into the 1980's

Why would they offer me a refund? I tapped because I wanted to take they subway....the attendant, appropriately, asked me a couple of quick questions...figured out (in her mind) that I was telling the truth and opened a gate to let me, you know, ride the subway....I got what I was looking for ....a paid ride on a subway....no refund required.

Back