News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 508     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

So just to confirm, the readers on old streetcars aren't functional yet?
Correct. Most have stickers over the device saying something along those lines. I've seen a couple that are powered up, and have a message about testing on the LCD.

I'm not seeing that tweet. Just "All streetcars by end of this year".

End of 2016.

Sorry should of posted the tweet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-02-11-29-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-02-11-29-07.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 621
Sorry should of posted the tweet.
Thanks. That's odd I didn't see it earlier. Had about 10 days of his tweets up, and even text-searched for "Nov". I wonder if twitter doesn't always show everything.

Great news though - others had suggested that they will wait until they are all installed before activating. It will be interesting to here about how they'll be handling transfers. Presumably those that need one will board at the front will ask driver for one.

Wait so if these go online, then people will pay with Presto but not be able to get a receipt like on the new streetcars since that machine isn't on the vehicle right?

Then I'm assuming the Presto card alone will count as proof of payment? (no paper receipt needed?)

Wait so if these go online, then people will pay with Presto but not be able to get a receipt like on the new streetcars since that machine isn't on the vehicle right?

Then I'm assuming the Presto card alone will count as proof of payment? (no paper receipt needed?)
They've not really announced how it will work. But presumably if you aren't transferring it would count as proof of payment. And presumably you simply get a paper transfer from the driver if you are transferring.

Although if you enter from the rear doors, that means having to go up to the front to get the paper transfer which rather defeats the purpose of entering from the rear doors! The devil is in the details.

Although if you enter from the rear doors, that means having to go up to the front to get the paper transfer which rather defeats the purpose of entering from the rear doors! The devil is in the details.
No different than those who currently board with tokens at the rear doors.

Presumably those needing a transfer would use the front doors, just like they do now. And those with passes or transfers will use the rear doors, like they do now (on some routes).

Yes, I'll have to board at the front doors for the first leg of my trip. But I can then use the rear doors for the next leg(s).

Noticed these readers on the 509 for the first time this morning. These ones had the "coming soon" sticker on them.

Here is a photo of the placement.

Attachments

• 2015-10-02 09.36.35.jpg
    2015-10-02 09.36.35.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 639
Noticed these readers on the 509 for the first time this morning. These ones had the "coming soon" sticker on them.

Here is a photo of the placement.
So, it looks like they'll have two presto readers as there appears to be one by the front doors as well. People won't be required to wade through a sea of people just for a transfer. Simply board at the front as per usual.

I'm excited for the Presto readers, but it's really unclear what's going to happen with the transfers. Do you tap and then assert that you've tapped to the driver to get a transfer? What happens if you're transferring from a streetcar to a subway station with Presto? Can you board at the back and then tap again at the subway turnstile, and it will know it's a transfer versus deducting two fares?

I hope they think hard about the details before it turns into a cluster...

Just finished a Bike Share survey, and noticed many of the questions were specifically related to Presto. Sounds like they are considering using Presto as a form of payment. One of the questions even suggested the possibility of using a TTC transfer to use Bike Share.

Go to the Bike Share website to take the survey!

Anyone else have a Presto card crack? I've had three in the past two years snap on me. I've never had any other card do that.

Anyone else have a Presto card crack? I've had three in the past two years snap on me. I've never had any other card do that.

Not my Presto Card, but I have had 2 TD credit cards crack in the last few years. One was only a few months old. My health card is also cracked, but its one of those ancient red and white ones.

Back