News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

The US Government has a system of performance scoring for contractors. And that scoring is taken into account in the risk portion in bids. Screw up in a contract and you'll be deemed higher risk in future contracts. This both incentivizes better performance and ends up imposing financial penalties on companies who fail by forcing them to build lower prices on future contracts to overcome the self-earned risk premium. I wish our procurement authorities would do this in Canada.

Why the re-bid is even being mentioned at this point, I don't understand. Somebody has an insatiable desire to publicly poke Bombardier in the eye at every opportunity.

- Paul

Precisely.

All of the media reporting on this issue has been grossly misleading. Bombardier has not been prevented from bidding on the operation of the GO trains, the contract for which is tentatively scheduled to be put up for bid in 2022. They've been prevented from bidding on the tender to investigate the operation of the GO train network, and potentially suggest improvements or changes. And why wouldn't they prevented from bidding - as they are providing the service already, they would be in a huge conflict of interest. It would be like a judge presiding over his own trial.

The other thing that kills me about the media reporting about the lack of LRV deliveries is the constant reminder that the first car was supposed to be delivered in 2015. Why has no one asked to whom or where? Metrolinx is still not capable of taking a delivery of an LRV even today.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Here's the story as reported by CBC:
[...]
Metrolinx said Friday that it will seek new operators after the current contract expires in 2023 to run its service, which will
quadruple in size.

Although it has had no problem with Bombardier's operations of its suburban and airport railway service, Aikins says it is looking for an international operator or consortium to run the enlarged service of 6,000 trains per week.

The new contract is expected to be awarded in about a year.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/metrolinx-bombardier-dispute-1.4216781

Here's how Metroland is reporting it:
[...]
Metrolinx said Friday that it will seek new operators to take over the suburban GO Transit and UP Express airport rail services after the current contract expires in 2023.

The winning bidder to be chosen in about a year will first review the current operations by Bombardier and two other Canadian companies and then operate the services as it quadruples in size to 6,000 trains a week from 1,500.

"We really need to bring in an internationally experienced operator (or consortium) to help us do this," Metrolinx spokeswoman Anne Marie Aikins said in an interview.

She said the existing operators wouldn't be able to objectively review the current service and therefore won't be eligible to bid.

However, Aikins said the winning bidder wouldn't be precluded from using the services of Bombardier and the other two companies to operate and maintain the trains.

She said the contract with Bombardier is worth about $100 million a year.

Eric Prud'homme, spokesman for Bombardier, said the company is "surprised" it won't be allowed to bid and is studying the document from Metrolinx. [...]
https://www.flamboroughreview.com/n...rolinx-cuts-bombardier-from-contract-renewal/

I wouldn't be surprised that Bombardier would bid as a sub or member of a consortium, and then not be involved in the 'review' part of the contract...recusing yourself from parts of the delivery (or even drafting of the proposal) isn't unusual or unacceptable, so long as another consortium member can execute the task and you declare your conflict and how it would be addressed. I think Aikins' saying current operators couldn't bid is a bit broad...as I imagine they could as a part of a consortium....say a German rail operator teaming with them.

To quote the tweet:
Facing the storm - Metrolinx Pilot vehicle #1 back in Kingston after successfully completing its climactic testing at the @NRC_CNRC facility
DFrw6KXXkAEIDkU.jpg

Back