News   May 21, 2024
 872     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 579     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 457     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

I have to be real stupid, but its BBD responsibility to design how the cars will operate, while Grandling design the control system how the cars will operate on the line. As far as I known and seen, the control system by Gardling is done and ready for use since part of it was working months ago.

Please tell us Drum, how you could have discerned that the control system is done and ready when they haven't even completed HALF of the signal circuits for the line?

The signal system *may* be ready to do by October. If they're lucky. They've fallen really far behind on it. They only finished the interlocking and grade crossing signals for Caroline and Erb this past week.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm equally surprised that Bombardier isn't required to deliver a car capable of moving under some sort of 'manual override' mode..... in effect, functionally equivalent to a TTC car. I'm assuming that Grandlinq provides a traffic control system similar to PTC or the TTC's new Line 1 ACS to permit automated operation with the operator just telling it 'Go, Stop' or whatever. Is that actually integrated into the car's basic OS? As opposed to being an add-on app?

It's hard to say that the vendor has delivered my new computer when Microsoft is still writing the Code for Windows 12 and therefore no OS has been loaded into the machine.

- Paul

Contrary to what Metrolinx has posted, all 3 of the completed cars are and have been capable of moving under their own power for quite some time.

Are they FULLY functional? No, not yet. But things are not nearly as dire as Metrolinx has tried to make them out to be.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Basically Drum is implying Honda is able to produce an encrypted keyless remote to operate a Ford vehicle without every seeing Ford's engine security design. In this case, who needs IP.

Contrary to what Metrolinx has posted, all 3 of the completed cars are and have been capable of moving under their own power for quite some time.

Are they FULLY functional? No, not yet. But things are not nearly as dire as Metrolinx has tried to make them out to be.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Interesting. Isn't the next step in the court proceeding for the judge to rule on the Metrolinx request for how long dispute resolution can take place?

Isn't the next step in the court proceeding for the judge to rule on the Metrolinx request for how long dispute resolution can take place?

I guess is it, provided they are not able to resolve things in the mediated dispute resolution phase. And who knows how long this will take.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

so whats the latest on this front? Has BBr finished developing the software to run the ML trains? Ion?

The current contract runs til 2023. It will be re-bid eventually, as a matter of course. As noted, it's a whole different arm of Bombardier than the tram manufacturing.

Why the re-bid is even being mentioned at this point, I don't understand. Somebody has an insatiable desire to publicly poke Bombardier in the eye at every opportunity.

It's as if some powerful person in the food chain (a Deputy Minister, a ML Board member(s), an Ontario Cabinet member, who knows?) just won't let this drop. Okay, maybe there is valid concern about the trams....the solution to that is to enforce your legal rights calmly and assertively. But at the table behind closed doors, not in front of the media. And, you better actually have a case you can enforce.

ML looks pretty stupid when it talks tough and then loses in court. This could be more of same. And, why poison relationships within a key operating contract that has six years remaining?

- Paul

Good for Metrolinx, better to play the long game and functionally exclude Bombardier from future projects.

Functionally exclude Bombardier from future products, at a cost of leaving GTA residents with costly and substandard rail products? I don't agree with this. If Bombardier makes the best product, then that's what we should purchase. The company does have some fantastic products, such as the TTC's Toronto Rockets, and it would be foolish to deprive ourselves of access to those products.

Functionally exclude Bombardier from future products, at a cost of leaving GTA residents with costly and substandard rail products? I don't agree with this. If Bombardier makes the best product, then that's what we should purchase. The company does have some fantastic products, such as the TTC's Toronto Rockets, and it would be foolish to deprive ourselves of access to those products.
Rules are Rules that needs to be follow to keep everyone in line, otherwise what good are rules if they aren't enforce??

You may say BBD makes the best product, but what do buyers have to say?? A lot of good things are said as well a lot of not so good things and this applies to other companies. I am not a fan of our new fleets as there are better ones out there and been on them. After riding the outlook in Berlin in 12, I rank it at #4

The city just voted this year to ban a contractor from bidding on contract for at least 3 years over their poor performance. TTC has a policy of banning suppliers from 3-5 years and done so a number of time that I know of while going to TTC meetings.

Banning BBD from bidding on future contracts like the next order for subway cars would be in line for this mess and send a clear messages to other that they better not screw on any contracts with the City or it will happen to them as well.

As it is now, is TTC getting the right price for the subway cars and we will not know that until there is a true bid process come about 2024.

Last edited:

Back