News   Apr 26, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Barrie Line Double Tracking (York U - Rutherford) update, 8 October 2016.

It looks like Metrolinx is taking advantage of the long weekend to replace and realign the east track (the one currently used by train service). Since the Barrie Line does not have weekend service yet, they have an 83-hour window where they can completely shut down the line. When trains start operating again on Tuesday morning, they should be running on new rails.

Looking north from North Rivermede:
30084619342_6d5769996c_b.jpg

29903384810_da311b5be2_b.jpg

Looking south from North Rivermede
29570044344_2e53a505c4_b.jpg

Looking south from Langstaff, the new west track is being installed on the westernmost span of the 3-track bridge over the Don River.
29569933543_713b3275c0_b.jpg

29903352210_8c9eb0f7bf_b.jpg

The path detour signs have been appended to change the expected completion from "August 2016" to "Fall 2016".
29570008684_c7463159c8_b.jpg

North of Langstaff, the double track has been complete since at least December 2015.

Crews were doing final surfacing on the new third track between Georgetown and Silver today, on the Kitchener line. CTC has been cut in, and even the fencing and landscaping is complete on the north side. This one is just about done.

This short track extension (with a very substantial embankment widening and bridge reconstruction) will let trains from the GEXR Guelph Sub reach the Georgetown GO station without conflicting with CN freight trains, and without negotiating some speed-limiting crossovers. It should benefit CN also, as it gives CN a new crossing-free 11,ooo foot passing zone. Prior to this, freights could not meet between Mansewood and Georgetown without blocking crossings, and/or without blocking GO/VIA movements.

An example of where GO is actually getting something done today. This particular project has not had a Ministerial photo op so far. I guess trackwork isn't sexy, but it's this kind of nuts-and-bolts capital project that has to be executed to increase GO/VIA service. Now we just need to address capacity on the 30 miles on each side of this bit of new track.

- Paul

20161010 Silver Reno.jpg

Attachments

• 20161010 Silver Reno.jpg
    20161010 Silver Reno.jpg
    823.8 KB · Views: 755
Oct 10
The Bloor Station is now complete with fencing on the east side of the platform.

Weeds are getting very tall between the platform and the RailPath on Metrolinx land since its between the RailPath fence and the platform.

Tagging still in place for the whole area, but its worse than before. So much for Metrolinx cleaning up the tagging as promises.
30173120361_a27ce31a5b_h.jpg

30173125961_c4d3c2bf23_h.jpg

29627829804_8fb71e5514_h.jpg

30143206032_376128c667_h.jpg

Dufferin St-Queen St Bridge Expansion For Metrolinx 8th Track And Toronto RailPath
Hard to see to be 100% sure, but doesn't look like they are not extending the future Streetcar ROW provision that was built in the original bridge floor.
30223529376_a2e9fe7911_h.jpg

29628638503_3f3c85076c_h.jpg

29962778530_b889dbf33c_h.jpg

29962755840_d952590baa_h.jpg

Crews were doing final surfacing on the new third track between Georgetown and Silver today, on the Kitchener line. CTC has been cut in, and even the fencing and landscaping is complete on the north side. This one is just about done.

This short track extension (with a very substantial embankment widening and bridge reconstruction) will let trains from the GEXR Guelph Sub reach the Georgetown GO station without conflicting with CN freight trains, and without negotiating some speed-limiting crossovers. It should benefit CN also, as it gives CN a new crossing-free 11,ooo foot passing zone. Prior to this, freights could not meet between Mansewood and Georgetown without blocking crossings, and/or without blocking GO/VIA movements.

An example of where GO is actually getting something done today. This particular project has not had a Ministerial photo op so far. I guess trackwork isn't sexy, but it's this kind of nuts-and-bolts capital project that has to be executed to increase GO/VIA service. Now we just need to address capacity on the 30 miles on each side of this bit of new track.

- Paul

View attachment 88549

All they need to do is get that mainline platform in.

I used to do a Guelph-Toronto commute 3 years ago. It was agonizing how much time it took to a) crawl over Silver junction, b) slide through work zone slow orders, sometimes c) wait to get permission around a CN freight train, and d) squeal into the yard pocket at Georgetown. With a , b and c mostly fixed, d will be all that's left. Altogether, I would guess it would save 5 whole minutes at least.

Dufferin St-Queen St Bridge Expansion For Metrolinx 8th Track And Toronto RailPath
Hard to see to be 100% sure, but doesn't look like they are not extending the future Streetcar ROW provision that was built in the original bridge floor.

What would the streetcar ROW serve? North extension to Dundas/College? For service or switching?

Province Building More Parking at Maple and Rutherford GO Stations

It's great that they are building these parking garages as the current parking lots are full by 7:30 each morning. Too bad construction starts only at 2018, and most likely be done by 2020.
Also, looks like the pedestrian tunnels work is deferred until then, at least that's what I gather from the release.

Province Building More Parking at Maple and Rutherford GO Stations

It's great that they are building these parking garages as the current parking lots are full by 7:30 each morning. Too bad construction starts only at 2018, and most likely be done by 2020.
Also, looks like the pedestrian tunnels work is deferred until then, at least that's what I gather from the release.
I get that these parking lots (like most in the network) are full early but, honestly, I would have deferred this until we can see what impact the YUS extension has on commute patterns. If people normally parking there change their routine and start driving to the terminus of the subway to park these parking spots may not be as necessary as some others in the network. Anectdotal, I know, but the 3 GO users in our office that live in Vaughan are all planning to switch the TTC once the extension opens.

I get that these parking lots (like most in the network) are full early but, honestly, I would have deferred this until we can see what impact the YUS extension has on commute patterns. If people normally parking there change their routine and start driving to the terminus of the subway to park these parking spots may not be as necessary as some others in the network. Anectdotal, I know, but the 3 GO users in our office that live in Vaughan are all planning to switch the TTC once the extension opens.
Are you familiar with the Area? It makes absolutely no sense for those who live close to Rutherford/Maple to change their commuting pattern and take the TTC. The trip from Rutherford to Union takes only 35 minutes, whereas VMC-Union will be around 1 hour, plus the drive time to VMC.

Are you familiar with the Area? It makes absolutely no sense for those who live close to Rutherford/Maple to change their commuting pattern and take the TTC. The trip from Rutherford to Union takes only 35 minutes, whereas VMC-Union will be around 1 hour, plus the drive time to VMC.

There are alot more things to consider here. Rutherford between the GO station and Vaughan Mills is possibly the worst stretch of traffic in Vaughan because of the at grade crossing for the train. The time it takes to just get out of the parking lot is absurd. Also, the new parking structure construction along with the temporary realignment of Rutherford due to new underpass there will eat in to a ton of parking and there arent many alternative areas near by to park. It may be easier for those not going to Union (possibly taking the subway up to Queens Park, St Patrick, etc..) to use the subway.

I sure hope Metrolinx is looking at these investments in parking structures in a long term timeframe, considering the fact that this wont be complete until at least 2020 and driverless cars on the horizon. What cost estimates are we using for each parking spot? I've seen $40-50,000 each quoted around here.

Whether or not I am familiar with the area or not....the people I mentioned are (they live it)....in their minds subway looks better to them because our office is right above a subway station (so no walk from Union to factor in) and subway trains being far more frequent will "free them from schedules" and give them far more flexibility.

Curious what gave you that impression?

• To accommodate construction of the tunnels, GO station parking spots will be temporarily relocated at both stations. The number of parking spots will not be affected during tunnel construction as alternate parking spots will be available.

I think it sounds like they're doing the tunnels either before or during the garage work. My thinking is 1) if they were going from the current parking shortage to having 1200-space garages at both stations, then immediately closing a few surface spaces right after to build the tunnels, it wouldn't make much sense to go construct temporary parking nearby with the new garages just having opened; and 2) garages starting in 2018, done by 2020 (fat chance, but let's assume they're right)--there's not enough time for tunnels, tracks, platforms, etc. to all be built in time for hourly...even if they're not targeting having those for hourly, it's a tight fit even to have them ready by RER.

Reactions: rbt
They are building a big temporary lot up on the hill on Rodinea road for maple now. Currently its a truck trailer storage lot, so it won't be too difficult to convert. A bit of a walk to the station though while they build the tunnels and parking structure..

Unreal and wondering what excuses Metrolinx will come up for the still close John St bridge in Weston.

No one on site and never look at the east side, but the west side looks like can open now. The only thing I can see needing finishing if that, is some board areas along the rail corridor that have no effect on the bridge at all.

Keep up the piss poor PR Metrolinx and continue to thumb the local area.

Unreal and wondering what excuses Metrolinx will come up for the still close John St bridge in Weston.

No one on site and never look at the east side, but the west side looks like can open now. The only thing I can see needing finishing if that, is some board areas along the rail corridor that have no effect on the bridge at all.

Keep up the piss poor PR Metrolinx and continue to thumb the local area.

The last I heard the hold up was with CP dragging their feet on finishing the signal installation at the level crossing. Of course, that was back in the summer, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that hadn't changed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The last I heard the hold up was with CP dragging their feet on finishing the signal installation at the level crossing. Of course, that was back in the summer, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that hadn't changed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Unless I am missing something, my last visit before this one saw CP new gates and flashing lights as well the bell working like all other crossing, as a southbound train approach it. It work like the King St crossing and I saw no issues or different between them.

Not my field of knowledge, but seeing 1,000's of these over the year, it was work fine like the others. I have seen ones with issues, but they are very rare.

Back