News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 679     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

While on TTC route 40 bus heading to Dundas West Station Sat April 30, noticed that Metrolinx New Sound Barrier wall at Dupont is heavy tag as well to the south. Nice precast wall at Dupont that tagger likes to tag and how long will it take Metrolinx to remove the tags??

Even the plexi panels above the precast have been tag. Didn't have time to get off the bus to take photos of it.

Clear plexi walls should be kept clean but I'd rather they encourage people to make murals on the concrete walls as they did at Strachan. It's just a waste of time and money to remove tags.

While on TTC route 40 bus heading to Dundas West Station Sat April 30, noticed that Metrolinx New Sound Barrier wall at Dupont is heavy tag as well to the south. Nice precast wall at Dupont that tagger likes to tag and how long will it take Metrolinx to remove the tags??

Even the plexi panels above the precast have been tag. Didn't have time to get off the bus to take photos of it.

Screenshot of the corridor just south of Dundas. The inside walls along the entire route are like this. Plexi glass paint are tagged but with less and are less easily visible too

Yeah. The community kept saying it was going to happen and sure enough, a lot of the walls I've seen are heavily tagged.

What bothers me is the half-assed scribbles in marker. If you're going to illegally tag something, at least put some effort into it and do a proper paint job.

Screenshot of the corridor just south of Dundas. The inside walls along the entire route are like this. Plexi glass paint are tagged but with less and are less easily visible too
That is beautiful!

Whenever I take the train into Toronto, I'm struck by how the quality of the art improves steadily. On the Kitchener Line, it's somewhat forgettable in Kitchener and Guelph, but increases in size and complexity through Brampton, and by the time you're approaching downtown Toronto, it's just amazing that these people are putting it up for free.

That is beautiful!

Whenever I take the train into Toronto, I'm struck by how the quality of the art improves steadily. On the Kitchener Line, it's somewhat forgettable in Kitchener and Guelph, but increases in size and complexity through Brampton, and by the time you're approaching downtown Toronto, it's just amazing that these people are putting it up for free.

The wall on the southwest side of the corridor, between King and Queen in Toronto, was legally commissioned by Metrolinx. I agree it is awesome.

Clear plexi walls should be kept clean but I'd rather they encourage people to make murals on the concrete walls as they did at Strachan. It's just a waste of time and money to remove tags.
There was a nice mural done through the LSE underpass between Monarch Park and the Rail Garden. Needless to say taggers have visited and don't seem bothered about defacing artworks vs a blank wall. O tempora! O mores!

Yea there is, there are two stations. Those stations would have to be rebuilt with tunnels and new platforms. At this point in the game its easiest to just put a long siding to let trains pass between stations, and then do the stations with the full double tracking later.

Im just curious, when do people expect hourly two way service to start on portions of the Barrie Line?
This fiscal year (before end of March 2017).

I assume that summer service will resume in June. So either in June, or in September after the completion of summer service would be my guess.

Im just curious, when do people expect hourly two way service to start on portions of the Barrie Line?

I wonder if it will be acceptable to CP to have all day hourly service before the Davenport Diamond solution is ready.

Metrolinx has committed that even with the Davenport overpass constructed, diesel-powered service will be limited to 38 movements per day. If you deduct current rush hour movements, that's enough for some 2-way service but not hourly all-day and all-evening.

- Paul

From April 11:

https://twitter.com/jtriangle/status/719611571798867968
"Anything being done with @Metrolinx noise wall graffiti anymore, or has everyone given up? @311Toronto @anabailaoTO @femwriter @CMartinsMPP"

https://twitter.com/Metrolinx/status/719626063932977152
"@jtriangle @311Toronto @anabailaoTO @femwriter @CMartinsMPP We plan on removing the tagging in May. 1/2"

https://twitter.com/Metrolinx/status/719626262906597377
"@jtriangle @311Toronto @anabailaoTO @femwriter @CMartinsMPP This is part of our planned graffiti maintenance program http://bit.ly/1qKOoTD "

I wonder if it will be acceptable to CP to have all day hourly service before the Davenport Diamond solution is ready.

From what little we know about CP's management, that seems highly unlikely they'll give GO that many scheduled windows.

GO's refund policy actually makes this much harder since they can't just shoot for a best effort with 20% running severely late (as determined by CP on the fly).

Last edited:
This fiscal year (before end of March 2017).

I assume that summer service will resume in June. So either in June, or in September after the completion of summer service would be my guess.

Given that the current construction is aiming to wrap up in August, it sounds like they're aiming for a September start date for hourly service from Union to Maple or King City.

Metrolinx has committed that even with the Davenport overpass constructed, diesel-powered service will be limited to 38 movements per day. If you deduct current rush hour movements, that's enough for some 2-way service but not hourly all-day and all-evening.

38 movements a day? Yikes, the Lakeshore line already has around 90 without even counting deadheads.

The 38 number (19 per direction) may be just enough for hourly service:
15 hourly trains (every hour from 6:00 to 20:00, inclusive) plus 4 peak-direction runs

Last edited:
The retaining wall on the south side of the GO station.

IMG_20160507_094805~01.jpg

With all the form work I saw last weekend and what was built, should be done before the end of May. That will allow TTC time to do the track work and get the loop back in service for July.

As for the rest of the station building, nothing in weeks has taken place and has to be a make work project. There is no reason why the westbound platform is not built, considering we are in year 3 for it.

The same applies to the west end of the eastbound platform since no work has taken place since it was relocated to the east.

Since I didn't renew a contract in Burlington and not been out there since Feb, no idea where that station stands at this time nor Bronte.

My photos for the wall are in TTC catch all thread

Last edited:

Back