News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Yeah, me and my wife went in last week. Had a pot of coffee ($2.95) enough for 2 cups and some other stuff. It's pricey but has a nice atmosphere and I like the idea of the 2 French stores together (A crepe place is next door), it gives the corner a nice feel. It's also open early, even on Sunday. $12 for a loaf of bread, it should do well in a neighbourhood that likes to spend $.

17 September 2008 photo update

Anyone need a new job?

DSC00483.jpg

Ermenegildo Zegna at Harry Rosen

from the Financial Post....

Duo tailored for teamwork

Zegna and Rosen one for the generations

Dave Lackie, Financial Post
Published: Saturday, October 11, 2008

A member of the Italian fashion royalty recently slipped into town unnoticed. Gildo Zegna, chief executive of Ermenegildo Zegna Group, an Italian luxury menswear label that posted $1.26-billion in sales last year, celebrated a number of milestones at Harry Rosen's flagship store in Toronto this September.

It was 30 years ago that the fourth-generation Zegna hosted the brand's first trunk show in North America at Harry Rosen. "I remember he walked through the door and had this instant rapport with customers," says Michael Rogers, then-store manager at Harry Rosen. "He worked throughout the entire day until I pulled him off the floor at 5 p. m. for a sandwich. From the very beginning he had this remarkable work ethic. The customer always came first." That day, the store made $75,000 in sales, triple the normal receipts in a day.

Mr. Zegna returned to officially open the largest Zegna shop-within-a-shop in North America at Harry Rosen's renovated Bloor Street store. The lavish 3,000-square-foot shop boasts a black high-gloss lacquered archway, oak panelling and polished chrome shelves displaying the brand's collection of luxury suits, accessories and footwear. Business executives who are not yet cutting back their spending can pick up a $7,000 Elements outerwear jacket completely lined in beaver, handcrafted shoes for $2,495 or be fitted for a $16,000 Vellus Aureum suit.

"Our business has really grown over the past 30 years, but Harry Rosen remains one of the top 10 customers for us globally," says Mr. Zegna. "Harry worked closely with my father, Angelo, and Larry [Rosen] works with me. I hope my children will work with Larry's in the future. We have a long friendship and [mutual] respect."

It almost didn't work out that way. When Harry placed his first order with the Italian menswear company in 1966, the firm didn't deliver the suits. He waited another 10 years before placing a second order. This time, Zegna delivered and the partnership blossomed

Although loyal to Canada, the company is expanding its presence around the world. Mr. Zegna says Asia and developing markets such as Brazil, Russia and India are fuelling big growth. "Five years ago, Asia accounted for 20% of our business, today it is 30%."

But production is kept in Italy. "You know, it's one thing to make sure the quality stays high when operating in one country. To do that in over 80 countries is a hell of a job. That's why we produce almost everything in Italy. We'll never move downmarket in quality." Ermenegildo Zegna weaves its own fabric as well as designing and crafting its clothing.

Prada!

prada is FINALLY beginning work on its expansion. he scaffolding is up, and a big huge sign with Prada Milano is covering the space right enxt to its existing location.

The building where Gucci, hermes and lululemon has finally fiished and now its almost clear (excpet for some tape and stuff). the store fronts looks beautiful.

Tons of people today, lots of buying. :p bloor is looking better than ever, especially with the the renovation project.

The 1300 sq. ft. Walter Steiger shoe store on Avenue Rd. will be closing and the space is available for a new tenant. Beautiful building for a luxury brand but foot traffic along Avenue Rd. is sparse.
\

The 1300 sq. ft. Walter Steiger shoe store on Avenue Rd. will be closing and the space is available for a new tenant. Beautiful building for a luxury brand but foot traffic along Avenue Rd. is sparse.
\

Oh no... That is one of the staples of that building.:(

Is it closing for good - or moving somewhere else?

Is it closing for good - or moving somewhere else?

Probably.. Their only other North American location is in New York.. Toronto didn't stand a chance.

On related shoe news, I heard from a very reliable source that Jimmy Choo is close to signing the lease for a store on Bay. I'm assuming it must be Regency.

The 12,000 sq. ft. Anthropologie store will bring a lot of traffic to the area.
Not so impressed with the 2 story Sunglass Hut.

The 12,000 sq. ft. Anthropologie store will bring a lot of traffic to the area.
Not so impressed with the 2 story Sunglass Hut.

Awesome! The 2 storey Sunglass Hut is going into the small thin space in the tower section. That means there's one more retail block of 12000sqf unspoken for.

Diesel store coming to T.O.

http://www.thestar.com/article/526762

By next summer, Toronto will have its very own Diesel store.

Jane Baldwin at Lennard Commercial Realty confirms Diesel will build a 7,700-square-foot flagship at the 100 Yorkville at Bellair condo complex. It will join Anthropologie, Teatro Verde and a Sunglass Hut.

Back