News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 391     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 972     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I miss the Book Cellar. That was probably the last vestige of Yorkville's "Far East Annex" element...

From the Star:
http://www.thestar.com/article/469806

Elite retailers set up shop in Toronto

Jul 31, 2008 04:30 AM

Bernadette Morra

Retail might be shaky south of the border.

But that has just made Bloor St. all the more enticing.

"The American and European apparel and luxury companies have to grow their brands," points out retail leasing agent Jordan Karp, who specializes in the Bloor/Yorkville area. So those that aren't here already are taking a good, hard look at Canada.

Like Brooks Brothers, which will be opening in Vancouver in the spring, and is looking at several Toronto possibilities for fall '09. One is the new RBC Centre under construction on Wellington St., the other is 146 Bloor St. W. in the building that currently houses the Cumberland cinema.

Another newcomer is A/X Armani Exchange, which is expected to open next week in the Eaton Centre, Yorkdale and Vaughan Mills. Don't be surprised if a Bloor/Yorkville location is added to the list.

And Burberry has signed a deal for a store in Vancouver – a signal that a Yorkville-area shop could be on the horizon.

On the south side of Bloor, Lacoste is building a spanking new store, between Prada and Coach, and expects to be in by mid-August (the store is temporarily located upstairs in The Colonnade). Lacoste's new location was previously held by Hermès, which moved into spacious new digs on the north side of Bloor earlier this summer. Prada, as previously reported, is expanding to include menswear, though that seems to be taking longer than planned.

Next door to the new Hermès, Gucci is freshening up its interior. Cartier will be moving from a temporary location on St. Thomas St. into an expansive space at 131 Bloor St. W.

Meanwhile, according to Karp, a number of high-end jewellers have expressed interest in the 5,000 square feet of retail that will be part of the new Four Seasons Hotel, which broke ground earlier this month at the corner of Bay St. and Yorkville Ave.

Amid all this interest from outside the country is Montreal talent Andy Thê-Anh, who is opening shop at 83 Yorkville Ave. And the much loved Teatro Verde will move from Hazelton Lanes into a 10,000-square-foot shop at 100 Yorkville Ave.

The Bloor St./Yorkville area might be a draw for some. But veteran Canadian designer Franco Mirabelli had his heart set on Yonge St. at MacPherson Ave.

"There's a real casual elegance to this neighbourhood and I wanted to be part of it," says Mirabelli, who lives farther north, near Lawrence Park, but ventures south to shop.

Mirabelli took over a "depressing dump – a travel agency whose business had been killed by the Internet" for his two-week-old boutique. He wanted a gallerylike feel and got it: white walls hung with graphic metal plates from an old machine shop and floating mirrors that Mirabelli commissioned but "were a pain in the neck to hang."

Diligence is typical of Mirabelli, who has been in business more than 20 years. He studied at New York's Fashion Institute of Technology, then worked for Anne Klein when Donna Karan and Louis Dell'Olio designed the label. That experience, he says, was invaluable and he can't understand why more young designers don't follow his route to success.

"They all want their own collections right out of school, but they'll have a jacket that's made out of fabric from a jobber on Queen St. and it's priced at $1,200."

His stretch linens and cottons are sourced by "schlepping around Italy" and his jackets are in the $295 to $395 range.

Summer offerings include a belted, mushroom-coloured jacket with short, puffed sleeves for $295, and a molten gold linen jacket for $350. A sleeveless version of the black jersey wrap dress Mirabelli designed for staff of the Hazelton Hotel and restaurant One is $290. And there are great midsummer deals to be had, like a blue linen trapeze top priced at $75.

Mirabelli's Canadian-made collection is also sold at 100 better specialty stores across North America, as well as his own shops on Eglinton Ave. and in Yorkdale.

"Six years ago I made a decision to remove the stress from my life," he says, of why he no longer sells to department stores. "They wanted a guarantee you would sell at full price, then I would walk in and see one of my jackets hanging upside down."

FYI: Tiffany & Co. will open its second Toronto store in Yorkdale next spring. And over in Liberty Village, West Elm, a modern furniture division of Williams-Sonoma, will open in the fall.

Bernadette Morra is the former fashion editor of the Star and editor-in-chief of firstwaternews.com

Prada

Hey everyone. i was in yorkville yesterday and today and great news! yesterday the empty space next to prada was simply empty. today there seems to be some work being done cause i see workers and poles in front of it. maybe its a sign there starting work??

and i was in starbucks staring at the colonade and it seems the place were wolfgang was supposed to open is empty still ande the sign is gone. i think theyve cannceled.

and im new and in respone to all the ppl who are talking about what should be done at bloor i agree. bloor is becoming too downscale. they should be adding more high end retailers. i wouldnt mind a burberry armani versache or even a ralhp lauren. but i dont think cumberland and yorkville should have these designers. the shopping in yorkbville would be too complicated with stores everywhere. i prefer bloor to be strictly shopping and cumberland and yorkville to be chic, and more village like with independent boutiques and cafes/restuarnts.

oh and the bay station entrance next to the rock is being redone and the renderings on the bloor yorkville site look awesome.

Bloor St. makes Fortune Mag list of World's most expensive shopping streets

Bloor St. makes Fortune Mag list of World's most expensive shopping streets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seven Streets ranked, Bloor at #7.

toronto_bloor_st.jpg

Quote:
Bloor Street, Toronto
Hot spot: Yonge Street to Avenue Road.
Rent: $300 per square foot.
State of the market: You might not think of luxury when it comes to our neighbors up north, but Toronto is one of the fastest-growing markets, and Bloor Street, known as "Mink Mile," has suddenly hit the radar of luxury retailers. That could be because even though rents have increased 50% in the past year, they are still a relative steal, and tenants can pull in $1,500 to $4,000 per square foot in sales. Coming soon: a new Cartier store and Brooks Brothers, which has plans to open a 25,000-square-foot store.

Link for complete list: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...une/index.html

BCBG Max Azria is replacing RW&Co., the old Emporio Armani store, on Bloor St.

Ardene has opened beside Over the Rainbow.

Hopefully the new 2-story stores at 100 Yorkville will bring new high-end retailers to Toronto, instead of mall chains.

BCBG Max Azria is replacing RW&Co., the old Emporio Armani store, on Bloor St.

Ardene has opened beside Over the Rainbow.

Hopefully the new 2-story stores at 100 Yorkville will bring new high-end retailers to Toronto, instead of mall chains.

Good for Max Azria, and the Ardene is bad news bears, but that whole building isn't very high end anyway.. Soon it'll change.

The retail in 100 Yorkville will be landmark, I have this slight feeling it'll be a Burberry in one of them. I've also heard rumours of Jimmy Choo going on Yorkville and Manolo Blahnik on Hazelton - they're rumours, but you never know, each rumour has a slight ring of truth to it.

The two retail spaces in the Regency are probably sought after, since it'll face the Four Seasons. The space in the middle of the block has been leased (signs came down) so I assume this is the rumoured Agent Provocateur. The corner unit is still up for grabs.

Jack AStorS is sure on the urban exapnsion. I don't really care for the chain, but I have to admit they've been doing an admirable job of fitting right into the city and picking very strategic locations.

I'd imagine Yonge & Eg is next on their mind.

Just saw a Fion McCools going in at Bloor & Jarvis beside the Starbucks. That corner has a nice feel to it now and I think it will only get better with the addition of X and Couture along with much needed retail.

Back