News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 984     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I thought I saw a ghost in Dane's second photo of the new Holt Renfrew Centre entrance. I saw the word 'Creeds'... and remembering the old Creeds across the street and the rebirth of Bonwit Teller, I got excited. Looking closely, I think it's a reflection of the Creeds drycleaner vehicle on Bloor St. :(

LOL! I saw it too.. I heard they were the thing on Bloor before Holts had their high-end renaissance.

I think if Cumberland Street behind Holt Renfrew were developed, with Holt's having a Cumberland Street frontage, it could become a 'Rodeo Drive' of sorts. This would go hand-in-hand with the proposed redevelopment of Cumberland Terrace (please god hurry that up) and the tear-down of the parkade and office tower on the north side of Cumberland Street. Given the placement of the new Four Seasons project, the block north of Holt's between Cumberland and Yorkville are ripe for upscale residential and commercial development.

That is a exactly what should happen, and somebody on page nine mentioned relocating the discount stuff to Yonge -- god knows Yonge could use almost anything better than what's going on there now.

Discount stores will persist near Bloor because the massive amount of condo development in the last 10 years is bringing younger, single, people with professional earnings right to their doorstep. Yorkville is a condo neighbourhood and that means a wider socio-economic range that Rosedale or the Bridle Path.

Andy The-Anh, a designer from Montreal, is opening his Toronto flagship at 83 Yorkville, the old location of Audio Excellence.

Lacoste has moved to a temporary location inside the Collonade; Mappins closed. I wonder if a new store will take over both locals?

^^^^^ well maybe since the Cartier is moving in upstairs (says the sign) they'll make it a double height store, taking over the lacoste/mappins? this could be a nice little idea

now... where the Cartier sign is currently... didnt there used to be a Wolfgang Puck sign there.. so... whatever happened to ol' wolfgang?

and also, where are lacoste and Mappins going to go?

That's what I thought yesterday... Cartier is probably taking over those storefronts too, giving them a very big store (as promised originally). I was surprised for them to even consider a second storey store.

Lacoste will probably move somewhere else in Yorkville, maybe on Yorkville itself? Mappins has moved out for good.

Lacoste will probably move somewhere else in Yorkville, maybe on Yorkville itself? Mappins has moved out for good.

Lacoste is staying on the south side of Bloor, just down the street from the old location. They have signs posted for their newest 'concept store'.

I wish lacoste would just disappear: it's so uncool. It was cool wearing vintage lacoste c.2000. Today, buying it new is like saying you wear Puma shoes: ugh!

I don't really think of Lacoste as being cool or uncool. It is just sort of there in an always-there kind of way.

I don't really think of Lacoste as being cool or uncool. It is just sort of there in an always-there kind of way.

Agreed. Their clothing, unlike the Ralph Lauren stuff, never appears on sale at Winners. Even the outlet at Vaughn Mills sells regularly priced $120 polos for I think about $70; so you won't see Lacoste stuff everywhere. Refreshingly, their label seems to be less popular right now so I can wear their stuff (polos, ... shirts are poor for the price; besides I have mine tailored by a Toronto maker) without embarassment. My 70s vintage ones - bought new - are being worn by nephews and nieces - it's true they look better when the newness is gone.

Back