News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 437     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Huh?

What's so special about the Magnificent Mile again?

Why would that shock you? Since when isn't every upscale shopping district littered with these corporate chain monstrosities?

You have no-one to blame but but the consumer, and most of them are dunces. Same reason HMV is catering to them, instead of trying to educate them. That's why they are selling ipods (if you own one, or god forbid, have it attached to your head 24/7...throw it away NOW ya dumb dunce)

The consumer is NEVER to blame. Consumers make choices. They are the market. If these high-end retailers aren't appealing to them, then they're doing something wrong. If iPods sell, Apple and consumers aren't the ones to blame, it's their competition. (iPods are great, I've had three.)

Honestly anyone who blames consumers for the choices they make is being asinine.

So the new Hermes is open, and its just terrific, I couldn't help but buy a belt! hahaha, unfortunately the facade is covered by the renovations of 155 Cumberland, so it'll be a while before this one can actually be seen from... anywhere... hahaha...

So the new Hermes is open, and its just terrific, I couldn't help but buy a belt! hahaha, unfortunately the facade is covered by the renovations of 155 Cumberland, so it'll be a while before this one can actually be seen from... anywhere... hahaha...

I'd like to do an 80s fratboy trick, and change the "M" to a "P"

I received a store opening postcard in the mail from Hermes and I live in Markham. Is this a GTA wide marketing campaign?

I've seen the so called magnifcant mile last year and it wasn't so amazing to me ... The number of pedestrians wasn't that impressive but it was a weekday ... similar to Bloor street I'm sure.

I'd take Yorkville over that any day ... I mean it's not a mile and it's also fairly spread apart ... that arichtecture is pretty stunning though they do have that hands down.

Yorkville Ave. was packed with people tonight. Wonder why the retail stores don't stay open later until 10pm when there is so much walk by traffic.

June 19 2008

So I dont know if this counts as retail, but it certainly is in Yorkville, for those of you who take the Subway, you may have noticed the direct entrance from Bay station to Cumberland Street is closed for renovations..... what those renovations are (or the removal of it all together) have yet to be seen, what CAN be seen is this:
2593492786_2ed421813a_b.jpg

moving along,

possibly the most amazing scaffolding ever (in Toronto, possibly the world) has gone up outside Hermes
2592655817_8580fc48b6_b.jpg

The classic Hermes Box, and as the signs state, the store IS open.

2592656671_08be4f5271_b.jpg

now... I originally thought half of Gucci was being annexed for the new Hermes Store, but it turns out that the Hermes has taken over what used to be the Entrance to the office building. and the part of Gucci that has been sequestered, is just undergoing renovations, as is the whole store, including the facade.

2593496810_c5d3d22686_b.jpg

Not the best picture, but ILORI eyewear is now open, nothing spectacular on the exterior facade front, however the interior is very nice and the selection of glasses is a very nice change from just the sunglass hut or Holt's

2593497598_c1115ffaa7_b.jpg

Harry's just about done...

2592661363_b2a512faf4.jpg

and... the quintessential: Tiffany's next to the Labels4Less, which.... has a street board, not a permanent sign.. so.... thats sad...

June 19 2008 (part 2)

woops... forgot about these pictures...

2593499832_6603ffb852.jpg

2593500514_94e013e6dc.jpg

So it appears that since so many people just went through HMV to get from the Holt Renfrew Centre to the street, why not make this staircase an OFFICIAL entrance to the Holt Renfrew Centre... so thats what we have here folks!

once you enter the little Foyer you're greeted with 4 Escalators

2592663545_fcae71f044.jpg

2592664279_268ca4a077.jpg

and they have done a very nice job with the whole thing, the foyer, and the internal renovations to HMV upstairs look wonderful.

Great pictures! Yorkville is looking fine.. Here's to hoping the temporary looking mistake at the old Versace gets the boot soon.

Great pics! thanks!!
I just wish that the "lables for less" at least had a better name! not even an attempt to be creative..

comparing Bloor St. To the Magnificent Mile, or (which has a Gap, H&M, and the like) or Fifth Avenue, or Avenue Montaigne, is simply preposterous.

Fifth is a tough comparison, as it is simply much bigger flagship destination, catering to a lot more money. But Bloor-Yorkville can do better than hold its own against any other North American city's upscale shopping district.

Bloor-Yorkville has an edge over all of them (including Fifth), because of the Yorkville portion of Bloor-Yorkville. Bloor looks like your standard big upscale high street...but it's Yorkville that has that fantastic little small-scale village feel that provides the great atmosphere as well as the upscale products, hotels, galleries and eateries. The leafy little residential side streets that surround most of the area (Yorkville/Annex) add charm that high density upscale areas in NYC or Chicago just don't have.

As new projects along Bay north of Bloor get finished, it will extend the upscale area directly onto Bay and east to Yonge.

Creeds...

I thought I saw a ghost in Dane's second photo of the new Holt Renfrew Centre entrance. I saw the word 'Creeds'... and remembering the old Creeds across the street and the rebirth of Bonwit Teller, I got excited. Looking closely, I think it's a reflection of the Creeds drycleaner vehicle on Bloor St. :(

Back