News   May 03, 2024
 313     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 241     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 131     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Walking past a polling location at approximately 7:55 pm (as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had already voted at an advanced poll) and seeing a guy storming out yelling about not being allowed to vote -- I would assume showing up a few minutes before polls close with no valid identification and thinking they might have to let you vote anyway, is apparently a scheme that doesn't work. The guy looked more than old enough to have voted in many elctions, and it made me wonder if he was maybe some badly deluded non-Toronto resident eager to dishonestly attempt to cast his ballot.

Last edited:
I have a friend in the area; he says she's not widely respected or liked amongst those in his neighbourhood.
Anecdotally, the level of service I've gotten as a constituent from Bravo's office has been a vast improvement. Among my Wallace Emerson neighbours, I get the sense that most people thought she was competent but not particularly distinguished. I swore I'd never vote for her again after she voted against police reforms in 2020 and I suspect that a lot of people in Davenport were getting tired of her closeness with Tory.

I need to break my habit of looking at the comments under CBC videos and articles. You know for hating the CBC so much conservatives sure love to comment on it.

1687881221101.png

Anecdotally, the level of service I've gotten as a constituent from Bravo's office has been a vast improvement. Among my Wallace Emerson neighbours, I get the sense that most people thought she was competent but not particularly distinguished. I swore I'd never vote for her again after she voted against police reforms in 2020 and I suspect that a lot of people in Davenport were getting tired of her closeness with Tory.
Yeah, I'm hearing the same about Bravo.

As my friend said about Bailão: "To know, know, know her… is to not be impressed with her." It seems she's kinda seen as a relic there these days.

I need to break my habit of looking at the comments under CBC videos and articles. You know for hating the CBC so much conservatives sure love to comment on it.

View attachment 488205
It kills me that conservatives don't even have a clue as to what "15 minute cities" actually means. They just want to rail against it because it's seen as "progressive".

In Davenport, Bailao getting over 30% I think is surprising, given how far left this part of the city is - her history there is probably why but I don't think anyone expected that her number would be that high there. F

Yes, Davenport appears to have over-taken Parkdale-High Park or Toronto Danforth as the most "left" ward/riding/hood in the city. Davenport had the highest vote share for the NDP in the last provincial and federal elections, as well as the highest vote share for a non-incumbent progressive councillor (Alejandra Bravo) last council election.

View attachment 488205
I look forward to more bike lanes and 15-minute-city initiatives. In fact, I fully expect these things to noticeably accelerate under Chow - anything less would be a major disappointment now that we've finally thrown off 13 years of conservative shackles.

Municipally speaking, it always was. Remember that Doug Holyday was its last pre-amalgamation mayor, and before him were snoozers like Bruce Sinclair & Dennis Flynn. It's the kind of place where Orange County-style "tax revolts" were likeliest to happen. It's a place where old crabs like Gordon Sinclair & Harold Ballard tended to hunker down, and in Ballard's wake a bunch of nouveau riche jocks w/the same kind of palooka-meathead or don't-tread-on-me values (I guess the Fords w/their football fixations count in that light--but even, at the higher end, St. George's as a magnet for *serious* golf-heads, including your proverbial off-season Maple Leafs). Sure, there were Dryden-esque jock-philosopher exceptions to the rule (and *that* tendency plays out in its present federal good-mannered Lib-moderate inclination); but on the whole it was the meanest, nastiest, most miserable of the boroughs, and past NDP tendencies in its N & S ends were hollowed out by de-industrialization and Ford/Grimes-esque right-populism (and, midway, Lib-variety "uniting the left").

Well said, Adma, and you articulated this little summation far better than I could have. I grew up in Etobicoke (and its surrounding areas), and it's exactly as you describe. That's why I hate the Fords so much. I was surrounded by their ilk when I was a kid. The two words that best describe Thug and his mercifully dead brother are "stupid" and "mean." Their version of the fake right-wing populism that's been sweeping the world in response to the 'enlightened' neoliberal times we find ourselves living in is every bit as shallow as they are...and it's been infuriating watching it unfold in real time. These two dummies never should have been able to get as far as they have, and that they've managed this is in no small way due to the cowardice, incompetence, fecklessness, stupidity and complacency of the people who were supposed to be opposing them. Speaking of which...

I voted for Olivia, feeling very little enthusiasm while doing so. Now that she's won, I'm not expecting much. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I know better than to expect "the Left" to come along and save us all.

Oof Celina Caesar-Chavannes got just 253 votes. Not even a modicum of name recognition helped...

And I noticed Mammoliti managed to get banned from twitter. Oh well!

Last edited:
Did she win with the least votes of any Mayor since amalgamation?
Yes. By a long-shot.

It kills me that conservatives don't even have a clue as to what "15 minute cities" actually means. They just want to rail against it because it's seen as "progressive".
I think a lot know, and are just snowflakes that want to rail.

You'd think they'd be thrilled, as they could then drive to corner store in 2-3 minutes instead of 15 minutes. :)

Well said, Adma, and you articulated this little summation far better than I could have. I grew up in Etobicoke (and its surrounding areas), and it's exactly as you describe. That's why I hate the Fords so much. I was surrounded by their ilk when I was a kid. The two words that best describe Thug and his mercifully dead brother are "stupid" and "mean." Their version of the fake right-wing populism that's been sweeping the world in response to the 'enlightened' neoliberal times we find ourselves living in is every bit as shallow as they are...and it's been infuriating watching it unfold in real time. These two dummies never should have been able to get as far as they have, and that they've managed this is in no small way due to the cowardice, incompetence, fecklessness, stupidity and complacency of the people who were supposed to be opposing them. Speaking of which...

I voted for Olivia, feeling very little enthusiasm while doing so. Now that she's won, I'm not expecting much. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I know better than to expect "the Left" to come along and save us all.
I grew up there too and totally agree about Etobicoke's "culture" (at least in the central, bungalow wasteland part). As I've mentioned on this board previously, Stephen Holyday was in my class in grade school, and even to my 10 year old eyes at the time, he struck me as a dimwit, and his performance and voting record at city council are proof that my young impression was correct...

I really hope that Chow properly sidelines that buffoon, as is deserved. He had way too much say under Tory.

Last edited:

Back