News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 373     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 947     1 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is that an option?
Well, Trump's asked for one; so, why not Gong. And he can present a petition from a whole bunch of school children: "We Want Gong!". And just to make it simple and economical, just make it Chow vs Gong, nobody else...

Gong (and Sky too) are just making themselves look like a couple of fools. They really should quit while they're behind.

Is that an option?

Not really, no.

Is there a theoretical possibility? Sure, but that would be determined by a Court, not election officials and would require an extraordinary heap of evidence of irregularities and/or fraud likely to have impacted the outcome.

That latter part is key. The legal standard for that remedy requires evidence not merely of wrong-doing or technical error, but of a reasonable likelihood of a different result.

Which is to say......barring any extraordinary surprises............. not happening.

Not really, no.

Is there a theoretical possibility? Sure, but that would be determined by a Court, not election officials and would require an extraordinary heap of evidence of irregularities and/or fraud likely to have impacted the outcome.

That latter part is key. The legal standard for that remedy requires evidence not merely of wrong-doing or technical error, but of a reasonable likelihood of a different result.

Which is to say......barring any extraordinary surprises............. not happening.
Well, let's put it straight. I was being sarcastic in suggesting a redo of the election. (The last significant example within the GTA that comes to mind was York North in 1990, which Maurizio Bevilacqua won by a landslide for the Libs after a disputed, teeter-totter knife-edge Lib vs PC result in the 1988 federal election was voided by the courts.)

In Chris Sky's case, the calls for a recount are largely performative in the Trump/Kari Lake vein, and it's a popular gesture among crackpot MAGAs (in the '22 GOP primary for the Georgia governorship, Kandiss Taylor refused to concede despite getting *3.42%* of the primary vote). In Gong's case, it's *probably* (though, who knows) more a matter of misunderstanding what recounts are all about--that is, they happen when the race is close enough so that the winner is in doubt, not when a bottom-tier candidate finds his/her numbers questionable, "I put up all these signs, bought all this advertising, even had a Pride float--and *this* is all I got? It doesn't make sense!". Well, maybe it *might* make a difference if there's a bottom threshold for candidate reimbursement--but I haven't heard of recounts conducted on those grounds.

In any case, while one can see Sky's crowd crying "fraud" into eternity (even though for what they were, his numbers were actually fairly *solid*), it seems like Gong made that one tweet asking for a recount and it wilted on the vine, I haven't heard of any followup--so at this point, he'd probably be better off bracing himself for any questions from the City about his election spending...

Ana Bailao won Humber River-Black Creek by 2 votes.

1688172668279.png

Global News

Well, maybe another way to see it is Tory finally decided to get involved after internal polls (not the public ones, which are kind of off mark) shows that Bailao is lagging. Not getting involved might have been the default position - appearances, promises and general ethics goes out the window once the preferred candidate is losing.

Now when's the "advance voting is fake" crowd going to show up and make noise?

AoD

AoD
A mushy-middler like Bailao doesn't inspire it the way that a Ford-endorsed firebrand might. Which is why the main "rigged election" rhetoric is coming from Chris Sky way at the bottom--maybe he *really* wants the brownie points for finishing ahead of Bradford...

AoD
Well, if we’re going the conspiracy route, maybe it was Bailão who pushed Tory for the endorsement. Who knows what she might’ve found out about Tory as deputy mayor. Or if there are Tory-related reasons she decided not to run for council in this past election…

A mushy-middler like Bailao doesn't inspire it the way that a Ford-endorsed firebrand might. Which is why the main "rigged election" rhetoric is coming from Chris Sky way at the bottom--maybe he *really* wants the brownie points for finishing ahead of Bradford...
However, I *will* say that I noticed via Twitter a whole bunch of people defensively *responding* to a matter-of-fact, statistical-reportage "Bailao won on e-day, Chow won in the advance" post as if it *were* bait for the anti-Chow "advance voting is fake" crowd. Which suggests that there's a whole lot of people out there who are truly statistically incurious-to-the-point-of-dense to the point of missing the point of that kind of shared data, or oversurmising some kind of "political agenda" behind that kind of sharing--almost like a naive pro-Chow counterpart to pro-Trumpers who only recognize two statistics: winning an election "by a lot", or an election being "rigged".

"Gee, numbers and statistics make my head hurt. And those who use them a lot are trying to pull a fast one on me."

Back