News   Apr 26, 2024
 857     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 757     0 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

Former Rae NDP cabinet minister Peter North ran as an indy and won in 1995.

I knew there had to be one in recent times, but most sites I came across never mention him as a Independent. Still its hard for an independent to win a seat, I doubt the NDP or PC parties are going to let him win that easily.

^ I would not think that popularity is much of a concern at this point in the cycle....and it probably should not be.......get on with governing and worry about popularity when you are getting close to facing the electorate again.

this is an old fashioned notion....but there used to be a time that politicking stopped after elections and people got going with governing. I don't have a lot of reasons to compliment Ms Wynne....but she is fairly unique in modern politicians in that not everything she does seems to be with an eye on the next election....rightly or wrongly she thinks the things she is doing will make for a better Ontario. I happen to disagree with most of them.....but she is the premier, she won the job and we should let her get on with that job and judge her performance at election time....which is, thankfully, years away.

Yeah, constant campaigning is an American trademark. Here we are known for winning elections and then doing actual work.

One thing I'm wondering about: will defeated MP Pat Perkins run to replace Christine Elliott?

It will be interesting to see what happens in Spring 2018. That's a century in politics, but I'm sensing a bit of "Wynne/Ontario Liberal fatigue," and not just among the usual suspects - the tabloids and talk radio - but among their natural constituencies, like the urban chattering classes. By 2018 that will 15 years of Liberal Ontario rule, that is more than the Rae Era + Common Sense Revolution combined. The question is whether or not Patrick Brown can appeal to the mainstream, and not just the PC policy conventions, and whether Horwath can take heed of the recent disappointing federal and provincial NDP performances.

Last edited:
I held my nose and voted Liberal last time. Unless Patrick Brown can somehow be more moderate in his views, I can't vote for him.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Spring 2018. That's a century in politics, but I'm sensing a bit of "Wynne/Ontario Liberal fatigue," and not just among the usual suspects - the tabloids and talk radio - but among their natural constituencies, like the urban chattering classes. By 2018 that will 15 years of Liberal Ontario rule, that is more than the Rae Era + Common Sense Revolution combined. The question is whether or not Patrick Brown can appeal to the mainstream, and not just the PC policy conventions, and whether Horwath can take heed of the recent disappointing federal and provincial NDP performances.

Patrick Brown doesn't need to appeal to the mainstream. He just has to let vote spiting to occur, and to keep his mouth shut, and he'll be rolling into Queens Park. :rolleyes:

I don't like the idea of the Ontario Liberals selling of Hydro One, but let's remind ourselves that it was the Ontario PC's who created Hydro One in the first place to sell off in the late 90's. Who also undersold the 407. The only reason why the Ontario Liberals are still in power is because the Ontario PC's are no better, and with all of that, people still hate the NDP for what they did 25 years ago (28 in 2018).

Back