News   Apr 24, 2024
 75     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 580     0 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

The kindest thing I can say about Horwath is that she does not appear to be up to the job.

Though given how other New Democratic Parties have been faring across the country lately, I can't say she's as "not up to the job" as it appears--she did hold *a* base last year, though it unfortunately didn't include the 416.

Maybe the more proper question to be asking esp. following the federal debacle is whether the *party itself* is, any longer, up to the job.

Though given how other New Democratic Parties have been faring across the country lately, I can't say she's as "not up to the job" as it appears--she did hold *a* base last year, though it unfortunately didn't include the 416.

Maybe the more proper question to be asking esp. following the federal debacle is whether the *party itself* is, any longer, up to the job.

Maybe.

I think she and the party had a golden opportunity (tired and scandal-plagued Liberals, Tories who were shooting themselves in the foot), and they blew it. That their seat total remained the same is a silver lining, but shouldn't be seen as any kind of victory. They took seats which will likely be in play in future elections, and lost what were once safe NDP ridings. They had no message, no vision, no compelling alternative to what the Liberals were offering, and no real explanation for having forced an election that the electorate largely didn't want.

I think it was a Horwath/Ontario NDP failure. But you have a point. There is a malaise, for a lack of a better word, in the NDP as a whole. They are so close to ditching the third party label, and becoming seen as a valid governing party, yet they do not quite know how to get over that finish line. I think Notley was more of a fluke than anything else, but nonetheless Alberta is a great opportunity for them, and they don't quite know what to do with it.

As for the federal debacle, the general "wisdom" appears to be that they shifted too far to the centre (they let the Liberals outflank them on the left) and/or they were simply victims of the Anybody-But-Harper movement which went Liberal as Trudeau had the momentum. I think both theories are bunk, and they will be in trouble if the party tries to rebuild by believing either or both theories (just as I think the Tories will screw themselves over if they explain away their loss mainly on Kory Teneycke's Harper Derangement Syndrome explanation). I think they foolishly underestimated the Liberals, and unlike Trudeau, didn't have a compelling message. They basically did the same thing that the Liberals did vis-a-vis Harper under Dion and Ignatieff -- they simply assumed that the electorate was as contemptuous of Harper as they were and would simply wake up and realize that the Liberals were the natural governing party. In this election, the NDP believed its own biases -- the voters found Trudeau as lacking as they did, and the Liberal platform had no legs. We're the NDP, we did so well in Question Period, we're the real alternative, we shouldn't have to sell you, trust us.

In some ways, the NDP seems to be making the same mistake again and again. Which goes to your point about the party itself.

Last edited:
I think it says more about the other parties if they can't bring down this so called unpopular and tired government. The Liberals will be in power for 15 years by the time next election comes around. These parties don't have any real policies which set them apart. What will you do so different when you come in power then what the current government is doing? What will you do for cities where most of the population live and where the votes are? Take a look at Hudak's classic blunder of creating 1,000,000 jobs while cutting 100,000 jobs. Whether through attrition or whatever, people were able to relate to it and the thought of all those job losses brought his downfall. Also the only jobs the government can create are public sector jobs. Promising to create 1,000,000 jobs is laughable and people just found it as a complete joke. Nobody bought it. Until these opposition parties can articulate some policies and things they will do when they form government which can resonate with voters, they will keep staying in opposition and people will vote for what they are familiar with even with all the scandals.

I have never voted NDP in my life and with the state the party is in, I won't have any urge to support them in the future.

I'm finding the NDP old and tiring. Full of establishment candidates and politicians who have been associated with the party for decades.

Comparatively, the Conservatives in 2006, and especially this new Liberal Federal government, are new, young and exciting parties and candidates with exciting ideas.

I hope the Federal NDP do some soul-searching and overhauling of candidates like their post-2011 Liberal counterparts. Provincially, the NDP needs to appeal to cities and urbanists, rather than their traditional unionist strongholds.

It's funny, Horwath's results in 2014 actually look decent when compared to Mulcair in 2015. The provincial NDP's popular vote actually went up, and runs counter to the trend that a majority Liberal Party leads to an inevitable NDP collapse. Also, in 2014, other than some weird outlier poll the day before the election day, the NDP was never in the lead and never polled higher than 25%. I wouldn't completely discount the Ontario NDP in 2018, especially, as I predicted earlier, with McGuinty-Wynne fatigue sinking in.

Still, I think Patrick Brown and the PCs are in the best position, being the natural governing party of Ontario. Brown has made clear attempts to brush off his social-conservative creds like marching in the Pride Parade. His outreach to ethnocultural groups won him the nomination and will likely serve him well in 2018.

Considering that the Auditor General just issued a detailed report that essentially says that the Liberals have done nothing right in the past decade, I would expect Brown to be in the best position.
We are now not simply talking about wasting "only" billions of dollars, now it is tens of billions up to over a hundred Billion.

The area my parents live in (and where I grew up) has voted Liberal for decades. It doesn't matter if there is wide dislike of something the party did, the riding still stays red.

Considering that the Auditor General just issued a detailed report that essentially says that the Liberals have done nothing right in the past decade, I would expect Brown to be in the best position.
We are now not simply talking about wasting "only" billions of dollars, now it is tens of billions up to over a hundred Billion.

Ok then it should be a cakewalk for Brown then right?

Ok then it should be a cakewalk for Brown then right?
I don't think a white-wing Tory who is anti-gay, anti-abortion, and continues to support drug-dealing party members is going to have much hope of bringing the party to a majority.

Brown says he has "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage and won't re-open the abortion debate. As for hanging out with the Ford family, maybe he has taken notice of how much damage they did to the Harper campaign.

Where do you get that $100bn figure? Highest I've seen is $37bn, and that's counting the whole 'paying too much for electricity' thing, which is most of the cost.

I will say this -- it's pretty impressive how the Liberals have meddled so much in electricity. The selloff of Hydro One might be the best thing they've ever done on a transparency of government front, as it will curb the political meddling.

That's from the Auditor, not from opposition politicians.

Of course there are some who think the Auditor does not understand the electricity system because it is too complex for a woman.

Back