News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 526     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like i said before if Bazis for some reason can not advance with this project there are other developers lined up to build bigger and better for this location.I would not be to worried.

Yeah Tridel builds a 100 story tower.... :D

Fun speculation, but the demolition is not even finished yet, so talk of cancellation is a bit premature. As for the rumours of construction companies walking away from the project because of price, it would not be such a surprise. The cost of construction in this heated market has gone way up, and there would be nothing wrong or suspicious with Bazis trying to get a better price.

I'm usually skeptical about things, but in this case, with so much at stake and having had an aggressive developer with deep pockets already make so many commitments to the site, and with the city anxious to re-develop the Bloor St. corridor, AND a site that has already been pre-approved for a fairly tall skyscraper....this is a done deal, with merely formalities and possible construction hurdles (like any project) to overcome. By the way, Varacalli's design is pretty damn good. The layouts, for those of you who haven't seen them, are very efficient, and the "lanai" idea is unique for Toronto. The slender building with the fin on top, and the ever-changing facade (due to the "second skin" movements of the lanais) will be impressive to look at 3 years from now. I wouldn't pay $1000 psf to live there, but the fact so many investors have bought in is a good sign for the city.

Very sensible talk from one of the newer members of the forum.

I'm being repetitious, but I see no signs yet that this will not be built, by Bazis, and pretty much as presently proposed. And in the very worst case scenario (and an unlikely scenario), that this project does get cancelled, do you really think the corner would sit empty for long? It's among the very best available sites in the city.

Sorry, but some people really do need to take a deep breath and try to avoid the melodrama.

The view today:

n122602698_36523502_841.jpg

^Great angle. The podium is really going to be quite huge. The cleared-out area here is only a portion of the site... it will still go down another half block to Hayden.

DSCN1451.jpg

DSCN1446.jpg

I've always found the sidewalk on the east side of Yonge, south of Bloor to be too narrow. It's sure to become even more cramped once all of the new residents surrounding this intersection move in.

casaguy:

What they can do, with the design that they have right now, is open up the glassed in area along Yonge for a block-long colonnade.

AoD

True, but I'm thinking the flow will still be obstructed if those pillars are there. (Much like the awkward flow of pedestrian traffic outside of the Bay on Bloor St. having to navigate around the benches and trees in the centre of the sidewalk).

IMO they could have done a better job on the podium. what's with that big blank wall that faces the other street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back