News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard some bad news for 1 Bloor...
my friend who works for PCL (builder for 1 Bloor) said that PCL have pulled away from the project and will no longer will be building...
1 Bloor is in demolition without a builder to build...
Apparently Bazis did not wanted to spend the money...

Seriously, when will it end.

Bazis didn't want to spend the money, yet they already spent how much in marketing this project?

I heard that when I take a shit it smells like poo.

It doesn't make sense that they would pull away from construction when they have one project under construction, another one in sales, and a third getting ready for launch. Bazis seems to be aggressively engaging the market, getting gun-shy now about construction would be incongruous with their other activities.

when I asked about the building permit status / construction timing, she tells me Bazis has all the required permits from the City (not true), but from my inquiries at the City that's not the case, I was advised Bazis has demolition permit, but NO BUILDING PERMITS ... but something should be coming soon

Nothing special about his project anyway. It'll be for the better if it falls through... Maybe we'll get some solid architecture for this corner

Indeed CGM. I just couldn't care less either way - and personally I think the project isn't that interesting compared to what we have in the pipeline.

AoD

Well to add to all the 'it isn't ever going to be built b*s*it' bored people who have nothing better to do than stir this thread... my best friend who is an engineer for the company who builds and supplies the concrete forms.. this project is 100% a GO. They have paid the $$ for the work and it is happening. PERIOD.

Nothing special about his project anyway. It'll be for the better if it falls through... Maybe we'll get some solid architecture for this corner

I agree, let it die. Although the building’s massing and scale are great the architecture is terrible for such a signature tower. The linai idea was almost guaranteed to look like an eyesore on such a large building .

I hear that that the project is so dead that they are actually going to rebuild, brick by brick, the buildings they just spent millions knocking down. ;)

Did they manage to save to stone surround (the 'sunburst')?

From Cathy Nasmith's Built Heritage News #124...

Editor's Note: The window has been saved by the developer and will be stored at the Brickworks until a permanent home can be found. Alas, because of risk to the public in removing such large stones directly over Yonge, it was not possible to save the stone surround without causing significant delays to the project.

I'm usually skeptical about things, but in this case, with so much at stake and having had an aggressive developer with deep pockets already make so many commitments to the site, and with the city anxious to re-develop the Bloor St. corridor, AND a site that has already been pre-approved for a fairly tall skyscraper....this is a done deal, with merely formalities and possible construction hurdles (like any project) to overcome. By the way, Varacalli's design is pretty damn good. The layouts, for those of you who haven't seen them, are very efficient, and the "lanai" idea is unique for Toronto. The slender building with the fin on top, and the ever-changing facade (due to the "second skin" movements of the lanais) will be impressive to look at 3 years from now. I wouldn't pay $1000 psf to live there, but the fact so many investors have bought in is a good sign for the city.

The stone sunburst is what makes the window worth keeping, and it won't be saved because the site needs to be razed as quickly as possible so 1 Bloor can hurry up and stall for years or get cancelled outright...what a surprise.

If the news is true, there's a chance to go back to second (curvy) proposal, or just design something better.

It doesn't make sense that they would pull away from construction when they have one project under construction, another one in sales, and a third getting ready for launch.

Each project is a separate entity. One usual doesn't relate to the other.

Demoliton, marketing, and re-zoning do not exactly make up a large part of the overall budget. And, some of those costs should add value to the property in a re-sale situation. It really doesn't matter how much they have already spent. If it's cheaper to pull out than it is to complete (loss wise), you better believe they will pull the plug.

P.S. I don't see this tower not going through unless it's zoning at issue. Construction costs may have risen but, IMO, the units were hardly undersold. Also, The hotel and large retail (condominium) component may complicate things however, the hotel should be easy to sell be piece by piece if a hotel investment group/hotelier can't be found and the retail, c'mon, this is Yonge & Bloor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back