Toronto 110 Eglinton East | 236.55m | 58s | Madison Group | Rafael Viñoly

Note to administrators, the map on UrbanToronto has this project west of Yonge rather than east of Yonge.
Thanks! For some projects where the address is spelled out in full, eg Avenue East in this case, the software for some unthinkable reason can't handle it. A change to Av E has fixed it!

This now includes 110 Eglinton and has a 2nd tower

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Always good to see you sneak in a breaking news post; before its even news yet!

Thanks!

Can you say if this design is still T-F?

I note that no changes are yet showing in the AIC.

EDIT: Yes it is...........but its now under 110 Eglinton East, not 90!

New docs are up in the AIC under 110 Eglinton - it's still TF

I just post the flashy renderings that people complain about in 5 years time when the built form doesn't look like what's shown now

In my quiet voice so TF can't hear... I don't hate the shape of the floor-plates (curvy notchy thingies) and these certainly soar (guessing 429 metres).

But what's with the monster podium with a cathedral entrance... that is the love-child of the CNE Bandshell and a Black Hole/Time Tunnel?

Ok, since @ChesterCopperpot has posted the renders, I'll bring in the text and stats from the Planning Report, not as interesting to most, but a worthwhile read just the same!

1662001679986.png

1662001898799.png

1662001974078.png

1662002000280.png

1662002041959.png

First note here:

This one is certainly looks to be targeting a supermarket for the 2nd floor. There is a roughly 36,000ft2 un-demised retail space.

1662002151534.png

Second Note: Parking ratio isn't high, but something so close to the intersection of 2 major transit lines, it certainly could be lower.

Third Note: I think they will get push back on this from Planning and PF&R:

1662002412939.png

Fourth note:

On height, it's not wildly out of step, but it is a higher ask that most proposals not right at Yonge. If they want that, I think they'll need to give a bit more in civic benefit.

Final Note:

Landscape Plan is mediocre, not consistent w/the Green Line vision in my judgement. Trees are not in open beds/trenches, they should be, there's room. At least for some of them.

Proposed Soil volumes are ok; if vague; proposed species are ok, but 3/4 are cultivars and if better conditions were provided here, there would be more interesting planting opportunities available.

In my quiet voice so TF can't hear... I don't hate the shape of the floor-plates (curvy notchy thingies) and these certainly soar (guessing 429 metres).

But what's with the monster podium with a cathedral entrance... that is the love-child of the CNE Bandshell and a Black Hole/Time Tunnel?

The height of the podium is 2nd floor retail, then office space. The styling and form are a different question.

Ewwww that ground level is awful. Is every architect in this city (except for HPA) incapable of doing anything but curtain wall at grade?

I sorta like the arch motif, but it should not be done entirely in glass. As is, the podium is a disaster.
It really is a shame how poorly most local firms handle the grade level. There are some interesting ideas here, I'm just imagining that motif executed similarly to HPA's work at the King Portland Centre. Red brick would harmonize nicely with the neighbouring buildings too.

I wanted to think about the podium before commenting. I've taken a bit of time ..........and.......

My overall take would be in line with @egotrippin above. There's the hint of an interesting idea here........but the (proposed) execution just doesn't cut it.

I concur again, that there is an over-use of glazing here (and spandrel, yup, that's in the podium if you look) ..........

It needs some use of solid material, which could be brick, or there might be other good options........but the all-glass/spandrel here is simply too much.

But also........you've got some prominent metal work here that's clearly meant to be suggestive of copper, in its non-oxidized state..........

With the green metal, seemingly playing the role of oxidized copper. I find that very odd as a combo...........which look are we going for here?

Also, given the overt aim to secure an anchor retailer for the second floor, one really has to picture this with some pretty substantial signage on it somewhere; which would be true regardless of the facade material; but I'm inclined
to this any signage expression would work better on a solid background.

I also really dislike the way the glass within the arches is divided up; to me it reads very clumsy. Each level of arch needs solid uninterrupted glass for that length, IF glass is the desired treatment.

Last edited:
I wanted to think about the podium before commenting. I've taken a bit of time ..........and.......

My overall take would in line with @egotrippin above. There's the hint of an interesting idea here........but the (proposed) execution just doesn't cut it.

I concur again, that there is an over-use of glazing here (and spandrel, yup, that's in the podium if you look) ..........

It needs some use of solid material, which could be brick, or there might be other good options........but the all-glass/spandrel here is simply too much.

But also........you've got some prominent metal work here that's clearly meant to be suggestive of copper, in its non-oxidized state..........

With the green metal, seemingly playing the role of oxidized copper. I find that very odd as a combo...........which look are we going for here?

Also, given the overt aim to secure an anchor retailer for the second floor, one really has to picture this with some pretty substantial signage on it somewhere; which would be true regardless of the facade material; but I'm inclined
to this any signage expression would work better on a solid background.

I also really dislike the way the glass within the arches is divided up; to me it reads very clumsy. Each level of arch needs solid uninterrupted glass for that length, IF glass is the desired treatment.
Signage, that's a really good point... I didn't even think about that. All glass podiums with multiple businesses look especially terrible, I really wouldn't want to end up with another Emerald City.

emerald.jpg

That podium's front end with its triple-arched entranceway looks huge... too huge? Looks almost daunting, but then again it might work, it's very grand. What I don't like is the mis-matched curves of the arches, I keep bumping on that. Wish they were symmetrical, just the same ratio but upping in size as you move outward from the entrance itself. As for the towers, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm OK with them. Curious combination of lines and massing.

Signage, that's a really good point... I didn't even think about that. All glass podiums with multiple businesses look especially terrible, I really wouldn't want to end up with another Emerald City.

View attachment 424383
I absolutely love Emerald City's retail podium. Messy, lively, colourful, fun. I just wish all the signs could sit outboard of the glazing, not on the interior. Can't have it all, I guess!

Back