News   May 08, 2024
 369     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 588     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 811     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

There are several reasons why people wouldn't want homeless people moving into their neighbourhood. Saying that the residents in question feel superior to said people is not true, based on your own subjective opinion. I'm sure there is much more middle room to consider. And they have as much right to oppose such a prospect as you do to lambast them.

There are several reasons why people wouldn't want homeless people moving into their neighbourhood. Saying that the residents in question feel superior to said people is not true, based on your own subjective opinion. I'm sure there is much more middle room to consider. And they have as much right to oppose such a prospect as you do to lambast them.

But the article/performance art piece said they cried. Not that they had 'several reasons' (all of the usual ones of which, by the way, are 99% specious) to 'not want' this to happen in the neighbourhood. You can question whether the advocates exaggerated, but if they did not, that's an extreme and extremely weird reaction to a new building, regardless of use.

Now that is just much too pragmatic and logical in your thinking. The middle ground doesn't sell a story. Focusing on the extreme reactions is what gets the clicks and headlines.

As far as the "crying" goes, this is merely someone's interpretation of someone else's reaction. A tearful sounding plea can be construed as crying. To me, this seems much more plausible than a full blown tears a-flowin' eyes balling cry, but this is journalism and it's much more exciting to simply throw in that term and let the reader come to their own conclusions.

Now that is just much too pragmatic and logical in your thinking. The middle ground doesn't sell a story. Focusing on the extreme reactions is what gets the clicks and headlines.

As far as the "crying" goes, this is merely someone's interpretation of someone else's reaction. A tearful sounding plea can be construed as crying. To me, this seems much more plausible than a full blown tears a-flowin' eyes balling cry, but this is journalism and it's much more exciting to simply throw in that term and let the reader come to their own conclusions.

Actually the term used in the paper was "in tears", which is a fairly specific description relative to the generic crying.

AoD

Bravo to the PWIC for voting not to stop the Midland Ave sidewalk construction. Nevertheless, the debate was not without its bizarre moments.

Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.35 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.48 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.49 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.29 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.41 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.55 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.07 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.20 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.32 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.51.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.35 PM.png
    27 KB · Views: 478
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.48 PM.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.48.49 PM.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 462
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.29 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.29 PM.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 467
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.41 PM.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 469
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.49.55 PM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.07 PM.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 462
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.20 PM.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 470
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.50.32 PM.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 462
  • Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.51.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-07 at 2.51.02 PM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 481
Please enlighten me. No, really. I'm obviously a bit too ignorant to understand the good reasons people would have for not wanting homeless people moving into their neighbourhood that don't have their roots in said people's inflated sense of self-importance. I'm just that obtuse. Go on, smite my vulgar ignorance.

Please enlighten me. No, really. I'm obviously a bit too ignorant to understand the good reasons people would have for not wanting homeless people moving into their neighbourhood that don't have their roots in said people's inflated sense of self-importance. I'm just that obtuse. Go on, smite my vulgar ignorance.
Don't ask me. I didn't offer my own opinion on this subject, but said that there are various reasons why others would oppose this? What their reasons are is not to my knowledge, nor did I insinuate that they were "good." All I am saying is that issues like this aren't 'either or' and there is room for discussion.

Well that didn't help. I'm still a dumb boor.

I've worked alongside wealthy Torontonians for 15 years and it is based on my very extensive experience with these people that I said what I said. Did I generalise? Yes. Was my generalisation based on extensive interpersonal dealings with Toronto's wealthiest? Yes. Do I love seeing some of those pompous turds cry? Yes.
That's all. :)

Controversial sidewalk plan approved in Scarborough
McCabe and her neighbours are concerned additional runoff caused by the sidewalk will erode the portion of the Scarborough Bluffs adjacent to their homes.

See link.

A city plan to install a sidewalk along the avenue was unanimously approved by the public works committee despite an outcry from residents.

McCabe and her neighbours are concerned additional runoff caused by the sidewalk will erode the portion of the Scarborough Bluffs adjacent to their homes.

See link.

'Additional runoff caused by the sidewalk' - has this ever been a factor anywhere? I mean they're not so rustic there that they don't have drainage, right?

See link.

Clearly the rising sea level worldwide can be attributed to the City installing sidewalks on these "rustic" streets!

Clearly the rising sea level worldwide can be attributed to the City installing sidewalks on these "rustic" streets!

And odd that they aren't worried about the roadway, their driveway, the size of the roof on their house, but oh my gawd sidewalks runoff will erode the Bluffs!! Can we put sidewalks on BOTH sides of the street in that case so that we don't ever have to hear about them again?

AoD

And odd that they aren't worried about the roadway, their driveway, the size of the roof on their house, but oh my gawd sidewalks runoff will erode the Bluffs!! Can we put sidewalks on BOTH sides of the street in that case so that we don't ever have to hear about them again?
AoD

I live in the adjacent neighborhood, but I have definitely detected a huge whiff of NIMBY around here under the cover of the "sensitivity of the Bluffs". A few years back the city was planning a bike trail that crossed Chine Meadow from this area over to Brimley, in order to connect the Martin Goodman trail. Got defeated under the cover of environmental sensitivity, but in fact the real reason is that the locals did not want to encourage anyone else to visit their little piece of parkland.

Now the city is proposing to put in a splash pad in my neighborhood in Cathedral Bluffs park, and again the environmental sensitivity objection was raised (among other ludicrous objections such as "the water feature will encourage deer to drink the water thus increasing the likelyhood of deer ticks and lyme disease", and "it will encourage teenagers to sit and smoke pot in the park at all hours").

And don't forget a generous helping of Joni Mitchell ("Paved Paradise blah blah blah")!

Back