News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 310     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 859     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

Clearly the rising sea level worldwide can be attributed to the City installing sidewalks on these "rustic" streets!

Sidewalk = less grass and trees --> more CO2 --> more concrete absorbs more heat --> causes global warming --> causes rising sea levels

Makes sense right? As for whether global warming is real or not, it depends who you ask.

"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."
- Donald Trump

From the Seattle Transit Blog, at this link:

For Neighborhood Exclusionists, New People are Never in Context

If you have ever attended a neighborhood or city zoning meeting you probably noticed four main arguments of those opposed to new residents:
  1. Arguments from poverty, usually spoken in terms of gentrification and displacement.
  2. Arguments from wealth, usually coded in comments about renters not “putting down roots” or about the preservation of a neighborhood’s culture.
  3. Arguments for the status quo, usually expressing general support for upzones elsewhere, but with concerns about context and scale in their own area.
  4. Parking, usually anger over the prospect of losing their hitherto exclusive access to public space in the form of on-street parking.

In Monday’s Seattle Times there was a letter from condo owners in the Escala ($) building, upset that a new tower similar to their own will be built across from them. They like their views and seem to believe that their property deed entitles them to said views in perpetuity, even though they obviously did not also purchase air rights. They want the city to step in and give them the air rights they didn’t pay for by taking it from the people who did pay for them (the owner of the lot). Knowing that this argument will likely not get much play, they looked in the neighborhood exclusionist handbook and latched on to argument number 3:

We support growth and density, but it must be responsible and in proper context to the neighborhood.

That is traditional NIMBY thinking applied to downtown Seattle, or NIMBA-ism (Not in My Back Alley). If 500′ towers aren’t ‘in context’ in downtown Seattle two blocks from Westlake Center, where are they in context?

Though FAR regulations, podium heights, and tower setbacks are all legitimate policy questions, the city cannot legislate by the qualitative aesthetic desires of millionaire condo owners. Appeals to “emotional breathing space”, “loss of privacy and neighborliness”, and “Seattle’s soul” are no substitute for good code and property rights, but are instead the recycled rhetoric coming from the Craftsmans of Crown Heights, this time spoken from the 30th floor of the Escala.

Thanks to the Escala owners for pointing out that no matter the neighborhood, for those with a vested interest in the status quo, growth is always ‘out of context’. Hopefully our city leaders are aware of this and give ‘context’ appeals all the consideration they deserve.
One of the comments was the following:
Good lord. This reminds me of that ludicrous argument someone made in an editorial this year on the Capitol Hill Blog. The guy had bought in a condo in some new building that was on the east side of Cal Anderson Park. He has a lovely view of Seattle from his upper-floor home. Now, a similar building is going to be built on the west side of the park, blocking his view. He was upset about this and couched it in terms of “livability”.

He also completely declined to mention that the building he bought a condo in? It’s less than ten years old and HIS building blocked the SAME view from ANOTHER building behind HIS.

I wonder how many people had their views blocked by the Escala building?

Oh dear, a townhouse development near the Bayview Village area may spark similar development along Bayview and Sheppard Ave (where there's a subway line).

Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 2.43.00 PM.png

CTYhr86UAAAVu1q.jpg

The location:
Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 2.59.17 PM.png

Attachments

• CTYhr86UAAAVu1q.jpg
    CTYhr86UAAAVu1q.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 644
  • Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 2.43.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 2.43.00 PM.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 633
  • Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 2.59.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 2.59.17 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 635
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Toronto officials lay down the law on new sidewalks
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...icials-lay-down-the-law-on-new-sidewalks.html
There are also concerns sidewalks will invite “other people” to enter neighbourhoods, she added.

The city “doesn’t remember that we’ve lived here for decades. We’ve gone decades without sidewalks and we’re fine,” she said.

Ah, gotta love when NIMBYism leads to NIMBY's making comments that are unknowingly racist, classist, ageist and ableist. So she does not want 'undesirables' entering her neighbourhood, and is advocating for children and the elderly to share the road with cars and to deny persons with mobility issues from accessing the neighbourhood, all because she, a healthy adult, is "fine" without a sidewalk.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Toronto officials lay down the law on new sidewalks
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...icials-lay-down-the-law-on-new-sidewalks.html

Ah, gotta love when NIMBYism leads to NIMBY's making comments that are unknowingly racist, classist, ageist and ableist. So she does not want 'undesirables' entering her neighbourhood, and is advocating for children and the elderly to share the road with cars and to deny persons with mobility issues from accessing the neighbourhood, all because she, a healthy adult, is "fine" without a sidewalk.

On a related note, check out @ShonTron's awesome map that shows which streets have sidewalks. I've always wanted to see a map like this, so thank you sir.

https://seanmarshall1.cartodb.com/viz/3f206014-d4f2-11e5-b47b-0e787de82d45/embed_map

Last edited:
What are even the city zoning regulations on something like this?

If in the process of creating my McMansion in Lawrence Park or somewhere I decide that my house shall have 4 basement levels, what would the city say to me?

Back