News   Apr 25, 2024
 55     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

The neighbourhood south of Bloor and Islington in Etobicoke is mostly sidewalk-free too:
https://goo.gl/maps/kLij4VzYa4v

I have to admit, I kind of liked walking around there. Narrow streets, motorists generally slowed right down for pedestrians. I don't recall how well it worked in the winter though. And on slightly busier streets, sidewalks were definitely appreciated.

The neighbourhood south of Bloor and Islington in Etobicoke is mostly sidewalk-free too:

I have to admit, I kind of liked walking around there. Narrow streets, motorists generally slowed right down for pedestrians. I don't recall how well it worked in the winter though. And on slightly busier streets, sidewalks were definitely appreciated.

Seems to be a thing in Don Mills too, and Forest Hill. Something about having your lawn all the way to the street, with a curb but no sidewalk.

I live a few blocks away from these NIMBY's and also don't have sidewalks. Feel bad for winter walkers. If it's real bad, they usually walk in the tire ruts in the middle of the road. And if cars pass them, they usually get splashed since the cars are no longer in the ruts.

I'd actually like to have sidewalks, but mainly for the safety of the moronic dog walkers who wear all black at night with no reflective stuff on them.

Also, it's not like they don't use their driveways.

If they really want a rural feel they can un-pave those driveways and the paths to their front door, get rid of the curbs, stop mowing the lawn, get a supermailbox installed down the road, cancel garbage pickup, etc.

You're missing the obvious - they might have to actually shovel them...

They sidewalks would probably be plowed by the city in their area.
upload_2015-9-23_11-31-43.png

And some seniors can apply to have their sidewalks shovelled, if they are in the inner city. See link.

If you are a senior or disabled person living in the core area, and require the sidewalk snow clearing service, you may download the application form (PDF) and submit it to us along with the required documentation. If you have any questions about the form, the service or are unable to print the form, please contact us at 311 (service available in some parts of Toronto, York and East York only).

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-23_11-31-43.png
    upload_2015-9-23_11-31-43.png
    785.4 KB · Views: 454
Well, if they wanted some rural ambiance, I'd suggest their neighbours should go and raise themselves some livestock. We should also dig up the asphalt roadway and put in some dirt, and forget about shovelling that dinky rural sidestreet.

AoD
Is that Canada's only highrise farm behind them in that pic?

They sidewalks would probably be plowed by the city in their area.
That actually, may be the real reason they don't want sidewalks. The sidewalk plowers in this area are atrocious. They tear up front lawns and scrape up peoples fences, leave windrows on both sides of the sidewalk all the time, etc - and they usually don't even clear all the snow, leaving an inch or two remaining.

That actually, may be the real reason they don't want sidewalks. The sidewalk plowers in this area are atrocious. They tear up front lawns and scrape up peoples fences, leave windrows on both sides of the sidewalk all the time, etc - and they usually don't even clear all the snow, leaving an inch or two remaining.
You give them too much credit....they don't want them for the same reason many people fight many things.....people fear/resent change...."why can't we just leave things alone" drive a lot of people's decisions in life.

^ I was just about to say the same darn thing. It's not the sidewalk, per se, that they're opposing, it's the whole notion of change. Think of it this way, if there was a sidewalk on this street when they were first looking to move into the neighborhood, would they have opposed moving in? Would that have been the deal breaker causing them to move into another neighborhood with no sidewalks?

Etobicoke is ahead of the game with all those woonerfs ;)

^ I was just about to say the same darn thing. It's not the sidewalk, per se, that they're opposing, it's the whole notion of change. Think of it this way, if there was a sidewalk on this street when they were first looking to move into the neighborhood, would they have opposed moving in? Would that have been the deal breaker causing them to move into another neighborhood with no sidewalks?

I think there ia also an ownership thing - right now they have a large uninterrupted front lawn (even though the right of way is not legally theirs). Recall the quip about how they are the ones who had to "deal with it"?

AoD

Back