News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 639     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

I think there ia also an ownership thing - right now they have a large uninterrupted front lawn (even though the right of way is not legally theirs). Recall the quip about how they are the ones who had to "deal with it"?

AoD

These people planted their gardens and hedges on city land and somehow expect sympathy from the rest of us? Too bad.

Last edited:
Is that Canada's only highrise farm behind them in that pic?

I don't know where salsa got that photo but it almost looks like a stock photo ('grumpy old couple in street'). I'm not seeing the highrise in their neighbourhood on Street View.

Here's a street a block or two from that stretch of Midland, except it has sidewalks.

https://goo.gl/maps/BvBrde9Kiqu

Same rural ambiance, or gritty urban hellscape?

These people planted their gardens and hedges on city land and somehow expect sympathy from the rest of us? Too bad.

Also, a 5 year old was killed by a garbage truck in the same neighbourhood in 2013. Councillor Gary Crawford's response at the time: I ask for a review of garbage truck operations. Apparently sidewalks are not the problem, it's the garbage truck. Crawford also voted against having a signalized crossing at an elementary school on Dufferin, after kids were almost getting hit by cars at this intersection. And so this same councillor is now trying to kill the proposed sidewalk on Midland Ave.

Seriously, how can these people argue against the safety of children? How is the life of a human being less important than “that rural feeling?” These people have no ground to stand on, and they try to argue about preserving the rural character on one hand while building gaudy McMansions on the other, while their kids are forced to walk next to a ditch on the edge of the road.

I don't know where salsa got that photo but it almost looks like a stock photo ('grumpy old couple in street'). I'm not seeing the highrise in their neighbourhood on Street View.

Here's a street a block or two from that stretch of Midland, except it has sidewalks.

https://goo.gl/maps/BvBrde9Kiqu

Same rural ambiance, or gritty urban hellscape?

The photo is from a 2011 article about a very similar sidewalk battle in Scarborough. Different neighbourhood, same bullshit. This is the area in question.

Screen shot 2015-09-23 at 2.21.43 PM.png

The apartment building seen in the photo is located at the dead-end of Chillery Ave.

Fortunately those old farts lost the battle, so lets take a tour the destruction inflicted to this rural hinterland.

2.png

1.png

4.png

3.png

6.png

5.png

8.png

7.png

10.png

9.png

The house in the last photo looks so much better without that stupid fence. This guy should learn to say hi to his neighbour once in a while.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-09-23 at 2.21.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-23 at 2.21.43 PM.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 606
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1 MB · Views: 595
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 593
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 588
  • 5.png
    5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 583
  • 6.png
    6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 597
  • 7.png
    7.png
    1 MB · Views: 585
  • 8.png
    8.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 578
  • 9.png
    9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 569
  • 10.png
    10.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 602
The photo is from a 2011 article about a very similar sidewalk battle in Scarborough. Different neighbourhood, same bullshit. This is the area in question.

The apartment building seen in the photo is located at the dead-end of Chillery Ave.

Fortunately those old farts lost the battle, so lets take a tour the destruction inflicted to this rural hinterland.

The house in the last photo looks so much better without that stupid fence. This guy should learn to say hi to his neighbour once in a while.

And the sidewalk actually hugs the road, instead of being some instance from it with a grass strip in between. Sheesh.

AoD

I imagine a couple of those homeowners were pissed about having to lose their fences. But were they legally installed in the first place?

And the sidewalk actually hugs the road, instead of being some instance from it with a grass strip in between. Sheesh.

AoD

However I would argue that (depending on the street), the "grass strip in between" is actually more attractive and does more to preserve the character. For example:

1. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6674...GnqDo4GqnieCvC5yF0Ag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

2. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.666474,-79.5513066,3a,75y,333.03h,94.2t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1svRlYD_J2qn4rHFN2OSIwkw!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=vRlYD_J2qn4rHFN2OSIwkw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=117.46542&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

This isn't just an issue for Scarborough. I live three blocks from the Finch subway in North York. This is the sixth busiest station in the city and yet there are a number of roads close by that have no sidewalks. Homeowners here cite the same "rural" issues...

Lawrence Park anti-sidewalk types are much more specific. If you build sidewalks, undesirables will walk through LP. Undesirables being 'anyone who wouldn't get the Range Rover out of the garage to go three houses down for a kid's birthday party.'

Also, a 5 year old was killed by a garbage truck in the same neighbourhood in 2013. Councillor Gary Crawford's response at the time: I ask for a review of garbage truck operations. Apparently sidewalks are not the problem, it's the garbage truck. Crawford also voted against having a signalized crossing at an elementary school on Dufferin, after kids were almost getting hit by cars at this intersection. And so this same councillor is now trying to kill the proposed sidewalk on Midland Ave.

Seriously, how can these people argue against the safety of children? How is the life of a human being less important than “that rural feeling?” These people have no ground to stand on, and they try to argue about preserving the rural character on one hand while building gaudy McMansions on the other, while their kids are forced to walk next to a ditch on the edge of the road.

I'm not arguing sidewalks aren't safer, but those kids did start off on a sidewalk. What the real issue was, the side they were crossing to, the homeowner has 6 foot bushes almost right against the street (which must be illegal.) leaving them no where to go, except the street - most kids near me just walk on the first couple feet of the lawns. I can't believe they haven't been ordered to remove them especially after this tragedy.

When a notice went up in a wealthy Toronto neighbourhood announcing a homeless shelter would be opening there soon, it upset some local residents so much they cried.

The homeless didn't make them cry - the thought of the homeless getting housed does. *shakes head*

AoD

The homeless didn't make them cry - the thought of the homeless getting housed does. *shakes head*

AoD
No one is upset at the thought of homeless people getting housed. I assume their concerns are tied to issues that affect some homeless people; schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, drug and alcohol abuse, etc.

Well, that's not true either. I've heard people callously rail against housing homeless people.....never mind that though. These people cried because they couldn't get it into their heads that people so beneath them would be living alongside them. It crushed their sense of identity and righteousness. Good, I say. I mean I wouldn't want them to drown in said tears but I think I'd laugh if they did.

Back