Concord Adex's 45-acre Concord Park Place community in the Toronto borough of North York has been taking advantage of the rapid transit afforded by the Sheppard Subway line since construction of the mixed-use community began in 2007. The 20-tower plan currently has 8 of its residential towers built, as well as the on-site central park and community centre. Looking to diversify the mix of uses on the site, Concord Adex has submitted a full set of OPA, ZBA and SPA applications to the City to construct a tower that has 36,000 m² of Class A office space side-by-side with a 513-unit residential tower. 

Aerial overview of the site, image via Google Maps

The building has two connected but very distinct volumes that would house each use. The residential volume to the west rises 25 storeys with a height of 75 metres, the office volume to the east would have a height of 22 storeys at a height of 89 metres. The disparity in height comes from the difference between the average heights of residential and office floors, with the latter 1.15 metres taller per floor than the former. This results in the floor slabs of the residential and commercial components rarely aligning. 

Looking south to 1181 Sheppard East, image via submission to the City of Toronto

Located at 1181 Sheppard Avenue East, immediately west of Leslie Subway station across the Richmond Hill GO Line tracks, the building would be constructed with direct underground subway access. Oriole GO Station is a short walk to the south, and may be relocated a little closer to Sheppard Avenue. 

Looking north to 1181 Sheppard East, image via submission to the City of Toronto

The building's design by DIALOG clearly defines the office and residential components separately. While the office tower uses clean lines of dark glass cladding, the residential component features a patterned balcony exterior, opting for lighter tones. Although it is common to see residential and office towers be connected by a shared podium, it is far less common to see the two volumes actually attached.

Looking south-east to 1181 Sheppard East, image via submission to the City of Toronto

With dedicated spaces for office workers, retail, visitors and residents, 1,207 parking spaces would be located in the 8-storey below-grade parking garage. The residential building is very heavily skewed towards studio apartments, taking 60% of the building's 513 units. The remaining 40% is split up between 80 one-bedroom, 69 two-bedroom and 53 three-bedroom units. The four-storey podium would boast a two-storey supermarket, restaurant and retail spaces, daycare, and a commercial gym.

Closer view of the Ground Floor at 1181 Sheppard East, image via submission to the City of Toronto

You can learn more about 1181 Sheppard East from our Database file for the project, linked below. If you'd like to, you can join in on the conversation in the associated Project Forum thread or leave a comment in the field provided on this page.

 * * *

UrbanToronto has a new way you can track projects through the planning process on a daily basis. Sign up for a free trial of our New Development Insider here.

Related Companies:  Urban Strategies Inc.