News   May 01, 2024
 226     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 302     0 

Zanta says he's quitting Toronto, Moving to Brampton

FutureMayor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Too bad, I liked having him around downtown Toronto.

Louroz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zanta says he's quitting Toronto

Samantha Israel files this story, to appear in tomorrow's National Post:

Zanta, the loud, bare-chested busker recently jailed for going on the TTC and elsewhere in defiance of court-ordered bans, has taken off his Santa hat and says he’s moving to Brampton.

“I can’t be me, I can’t be free, and the city of Toronto is to blame,†said David Zancai, 39, who calls himself Zanta. “I’m totally a prisoner in my own city. I have to get out of here.â€

Mr. Zancai is notorious on the streets of Toronto for doing push-ups in nothing but a Santa Claus hat and shorts; he has online fan clubs but his antics have brought criticism and criminal charges.

He has been charged with “committing a nuisance†on city streets several times since 2005, and was banned from King Street between Church and Spadina in April, 2006, TTC subways last August and Yonge-Dundas Square in November.

This May, Mr. Zancai served 20 days of a 30-day sentence in the Don Jail for failing to comply with a probation order banning him from the TTC. Last month, he was placed in solitary confinement at Toronto’s West Detention Centre for “mischief causing a disturbance†and “interference with traffic.â€
This summer, Mr. Zancai plans to Brampton, where two of his three sons currently reside. “I’ll just keep it low key and chill out with my boys,†he said.
He’s already replaced his signature Santa hat with a white baseball cap so that he’ll be less recognizable, but he doesn’t know how long the move will actually last. “I’ll be miserable there until I can come back to the city and live as Zanta again,†he says.

He dismisses the charges against him as inventions of the police force. “I always have to look behind my back,†he says. “Every time a cop sees me, they harass me. ‘Where are you going? Where have you been?’ I can’t take it anymore. I’m scared to go outside.â€

So, to “teach the cops a lesson,†Mr. Zancai has decided to leave Toronto altogether. “I want to give my fans the opportunity to stand up for me. They’ll say, ‘Toronto isn’t Toronto without Zanta.’ The city’s gonna call back for me. There will be a big outcry. I’m loved by millions.â€

The administrator of www.anti-zanta.ca/forum, an Ottawa-based Website devoted to a 26-member community of Zanta haters, couldn’t disagree more.
“We all know that Zancai moving won’t teach the police a lesson,†he said anonymously via e-mail. “If anything, it will prove to them that they’re doing their jobs, they’re winning their fight and Zanta is giving way. And I seriously doubt that he has more than five or 10 fans who would rally for him.â€
Known online simply as “Anti-Zanta,†the former remote agent for market research firm Advanis started the forum to create public awareness. “Zanta actually believes he has the right to get in your face and scream his sounds and flex his muscles and that you must watch him,†h says. “If he’s just bringing the problem from one town to the next town, what’s the difference?â€

Photo of Zanta at Queen and John by Kaydi Pyette for National Post

What is the administrator of the anti-Zanta forum afraid of, hiding behind an anonymous email?

While some may find Zanta annoying, how exactly do you ban someone from public space, like in front of CityTV? I angered a security guard on Zanta-watch at 299 Queen (after dropping my bike off for repairs last week) by exclaiming “look over there, it’s Zanta!”

I’m from Brampton, and I know Brampton could use a few characters to liven up its cityscape. Shine on!

Zanta's Mayoralty campaign takes an exciting and unexpected new twist - a self-imposed banishment that sets us up for his glorious return.

Karla Homolka has more freedom to stroll the streets of our fair town. Zanta's been treated disgracefully.

I am all for street performers livening up our city (like the paper-bag headed guitar player), but I have my issues with Zanta. He does come off a little scary for those who dont know who he is. I have seen quite a few people look at him in horror and avoid going anywhere near him as he looks like he could be dangerous. If he had taken a more friendly approach from the beginning, there would be no problem. Doing push ups on the sidewalk in a santa hat is harmless. Going up to people, flexing his muscles and groaning at them with an enraged look on his face only makes people scared of him. He may be harmless, but if you dont know about him (like most people) then it is understandable that the general public would think that he is out there to start beating up on passer-bys.
The law is the law, and if he is doing this on the road, then he should be charged. Repeated violations should go with a ban.
You think people in Brampton would appreciate him? Probably not.

And no.... I doubt there will be anyone fighting for his return to Toronto. Have fun in Brampton Zanta!

Just how and why do you ban someone from public space? The only way you really should do that is a restraining order against certain persons if that person is a threat to their safety and well-being (which isn't as wide-spread as the anti-Zanta bans), or locking one up for criminal acts or for their own safety (institutionalization).

I agree with US. He has been treated disgracefully.

I don't really feel sorry for the guy- he craves attention and he's getting it. But I do find it strange that the police are pursuing him 'this' much.

Zanta is the supreme politician - he's been campaigning on the streets nonstop for years, meeting thousands of voters, and knows how to keep his name before the public and get free publicity in the dog days of summer by pulling clever stunts like this that highlight the human rights issue that will be an important part of his campaign.

Aaah, I will miss Zanta. I have to admit he has a very nice body :p (by the way, is he sorta crazy though? sometimes I though he's kinda yooohooo)

I’m from Brampton, and I know Brampton could use a few characters to liven up its cityscape. Shine on!

I don't know. I have seen some really weird people the few times that I have used Brampton Transit. I think it is Mississauga that needs "characters" the most.

Will he really be more accepted in Brampton? He's the type of character many in the suburbs cite as one of the reasons they don't live in the city (even though they're way off base).

Back