News   Apr 19, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.1K     2 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

On behalf of Brampton, I would like to thank York Region for building the Viva Orange stations west of VMC, as the Initial Business Case for the Queen Street - Highway 7 BRT, says Viva Orange should terminate at VMC. On the plus side, compared to Viva frequency, an improved 501 Queen Zum would likely be found more than satisfactory for YRT Riders.

Why should York Region give the transit to Brampton in their area?

On behalf of Brampton, I would like to thank York Region for building the Viva Orange stations west of VMC, as the Initial Business Case for the Queen Street - Highway 7 BRT, says Viva Orange should terminate at VMC. On the plus side, compared to Viva frequency, an improved 501 Queen Zum would likely be found more than satisfactory for YRT Riders.

That was my experience on VIVA Orange.
I was impressed with the beautiful station, but perplexed with having to wait 20 minutes for a bus on so called Bus Rapid Transit.
The station was quite full and I wasn't looking forward to squeezing on the bus but then the Zum pulls up and everyone gets on it.

I was impressed with the beautiful station, but perplexed with having to wait 20 minutes for a bus on so called Bus Rapid Transit.
The station was quite full and I wasn't looking forward to squeezing on the bus but then the Zum pulls up and everyone gets on it.
When you have a frequency that almost matches the subway you’re transferring to/from, that attracts so many people to not worry the slightest if they need to catch a bus or not. Unfortunately, the 501 won’t have that kind of service once the A/C branches run again, and even though they are a combined 5 minute frequency (2019 schedule), it’s a complete rocket to queen and hwy 50 via 407

love it or hate it you have to give it to YRT for actually completing a big transit project relatively on time and on budget.iirc heavy construction on yonge st only took a little over 2 years and the markham section was actually finished
a little early. Its hard to imagine this all came from nothing from a baby transit system only ~16/17 years ago

love it or hate it you have to give it to YRT for actually completing a big transit project relatively on time and on budget.iirc heavy construction on yonge st only took a little over 2 years and the markham section was actually finished
a little early. Its hard to imagine this all came from nothing from a baby transit system only ~16/17 years ago
Can't necesserily credit them for being on time tbh. Back in 2013, the Yonge Street Rapidway was slated to open in "December 2018".

Can't necesserily credit them for being on time tbh. Back in 2013, the Yonge Street Rapidway was slated to open in "December 2018".
To be fair, they realised early on that this target couldnt be met and they quickly adjusted to 2020 and pretty much stuck by it. Unlike ECT or union station reno, the timeline didnt get pushed back every 6 months and
the politicians stood shoulder to shoulder throughout the project which mitigated scope creep.

Why should York Region give the transit to Brampton in their area?
VMC is a better transfer location, and Zum runs more frequently.

In Brampton, during peak, the combined headways of the 501 hits 6 minutes. As the pandemic ends, and jobs continue to accumulate at VMC, headways in York Region will continue to improve.

What is important to note is that as far as rapid transit projects go, BRT is cheap and easy, because while Ontario is abysmal at trains, it is actually very good at building roads; the fixed infrastructure of a BRT is functionally a road.

YRT seems to have followed the US model of rapid transit.........................build elaborate and effective systems but once opened don't provide the frequency to make the systems rapid or even appealing.
Yeah so why Thornhill and Markham still have TTC operated routes, those things are like a blast from the past. Every other jurisdiction have their own transit system.

VMC is a better transfer location, and Zum runs more frequently.

So?
Just imagine the TTC saying that they will let all YRT routes pick up and drop off in Toronto. They wouldn't allow it, so York shouldn't either. So, no. In fact Zum shouldn't run that far into York Region.

Just imagine the TTC saying that they will let all YRT routes pick up and drop off in Toronto. They wouldn't allow it, so York shouldn't either. So, no. In fact Zum shouldn't run that far into York Region.
I am so thankful that YRT does not have this attitude with transit planning, and that York region and Brampton can work together productively to help people’s lives become easier.

So?
Except this actually happens, at a lot of locations:

1. Islington/Kipling Station: MiWay/MiExpress --> TTC
2. Sheppard West Station: YRT -->TTC (Route 105)
3. Wilson Station: YRT --> TTC (160)
4. Finch Station: YRT --> TTC (BLUE, 2, 5, 23, 77, 88, 91, 98, 99, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305)
5. Don Mills Station: YRT --> TTC (GREEN, 24, 90)
6. Warden Station: YRT --> TTC (17A, 68B)
7. STC Station: YRT --> TTC (129A, 102D)
8. North York General
9. Morningside

I am so thankful that YRT does not have this attitude with transit planning, and that York region and Brampton can work together productively to help people’s lives become easier.
Yep, this TTC policy is terrible. One of the best examples of how much more difficult it makes peoples lives is when going from UTSC to Kingston/Port Union. DRT would get you there in under 10 minutes on one bus but because they're not allowed to let you off in Toronto, it takes 20+ minutes and 2 buses to do it on the TTC.

Except this actually happens, at a lot of locations:

1. Islington/Kipling Station: MiWay/MiExpress --> TTC
2. Sheppard West Station: YRT -->TTC (Route 105)
3. Wilson Station: YRT --> TTC (160)
4. Finch Station: YRT --> TTC (BLUE, 2, 5, 23, 77, 88, 91, 98, 99, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305)
5. Don Mills Station: YRT --> TTC (GREEN, 24, 90)
6. Warden Station: YRT --> TTC (17A, 68B)
7. STC Station: YRT --> TTC (129A, 102D)
8. North York General
9. Morningside
102D terminates at Warden station, not STC.

My view is that if they have such fancy shelters, then they should add free wi-fi (at least at select heavily-utilized stops). They already have it at the terminals. As for the service itself, it's time for Yonge to have 24-hour service, which would require as little as adding 2-3 extra trips in each direction (so 4-6 total) to Route 98/99. It'll connect nicely with the TTC's 320 Yonge and GO's Route 40.
Its also about time for a 24 hour service in brampton on queen or at least at bramalea go or bcc terminal. It will flow well with 2 or 3 extra trips on YRT 77 on highway 7

Back