News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 989     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Richmond Hill did pretty well. Showed Perrelli the door, and also got rid of Nick Papa, a councillor who was against the Yonge busway.

Totally agree. I don't know what those guys have been on about the past few years but without Perelli and Papa, Greg Beros won't have anyone to play "Troublemaker" with. Good riddance. Those guys seemed to wait to hear what the mayor was going to say and then take up the opposite position on principle.

Vaughan, on the other hand will hopefully actually try to make VMC happen the way it should - what other growth centres wouldn't do for a real, honest-to-goodness subway! - but I'm not optimistic at all; not when DiBiase is the leading regional vote getter a week after CBC reports on the same contractor that built (And screwed up) city hall working on his cottage. Just, sigh.

Yeah the signal priority ain't perfect (especially seen at Chalmers and Highway 404), but even with relatively close stop spacing through this stretch it still provides a competitive alternative to driving.

Jaysus. Bayview to Warden in 12 minutes at the height of rush hour?

Definitely would not have been able to do that pre-rapidway.

But yes, normally the buses don't go this fast. They usually slog through the rapidway at 30km/hr the entire way. They really should look into getting rid of the 20km/hr through intersection restrictions. Obviously the driver in the video is breaking rules.

But yes, normally the buses don't go this fast. They usually slog through the rapidway at 30km/hr the entire way. They really should look into getting rid of the 20km/hr through intersection restrictions. Obviously the driver in the video is breaking rules.

You're right, buses don't normally go that fast on it. It depends on the schedule - they still haven't fully adjusted it, as they are waiting for the final leg of it to open before finalizing everything.

As for "breaking the rules", the restriction at intersections is 40km/h, not 20. 20km/h only applies when bypassing stations.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As much as the ridership is declining I think it's only fair that we take a look after the rapidways are complete. Sure the initial section on Hwy 7 is completed but the scope of riders it can attract are greatly limited, especially considering a large chunk are going to Finch or transferring to Blue. It's a piece of the puzzle, but nto all the pieces are there for potential riders to "see" the advantages on a wider scale as opposed to just a small fraction of roadway.

I firmly believe that once the rapidways are completed, the landscape of transit ridership will change substantially in the region. Being able to have reliable (key word) service from all four corners of the region will be a great advantage for supporting the more local routes. I can imagine that once the rapidway is complete there'll be more of a focus on smaller local routes that feed to the rapidway as to mitigate the need for local routes to provide long trips. The rapidway could provide a faster trip with three transfers as opposed to a theoretical trip on a local route with no transfers.

It'll be interesting to see. The only thing I'm not sure about this whole project is the bike lanes. They're uninviting and the stations do nothing to integrate them. There's a bunch of extra space on the brt platforms, I'm surprised there wasn't any foresight to add bike lockers or locking stands for bikers.

I don't know where this rumour about the 20 km/h speed limit comes from, but I've never seen a Viva bus do that when going through a station when it doesn't stop. They don't slow down at all.

Perhaps another video is in order? Part of the reason I recorded this was because I wanted to create some video evidence of a very slow rapidway. Also why I was recording the speed on my tablet, especially going through intersections. The return trip took a bit longer, but it was still pretty fast and was going faster than 20km/h in and around stations. I've been on it since to vote, so I only took it to East Beaver Creek. Still relatively quick and smooth.

I don't know where this rumour about the 20 km/h speed limit comes from, but I've never seen a Viva bus do that when going through a station when it doesn't stop. They don't slow down at all.

It's not a rumour - it's a rule. 20km/h when bypassing stations, 40km/h at all intersections, and 60km/h maximum on the busway.

Of course there are going to be drivers who risk breaking the rules. How many auto drivers do you see who drive higher than the speed limit?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's not a rumour - it's a rule. 20km/h when bypassing stations, 40km/h at all intersections, and 60km/h maximum on the busway.

Of course there are going to be drivers who risk breaking the rules. How many auto drivers do you see who drive higher than the speed limit?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Out of curiosity, do you have a source for that rule?

Interesting. Kind of a pointless rule. By the same logic we should make the speed limit 20 on every street that has sidewalks.

Back