News   Apr 25, 2024
 251     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 807     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 813     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

A bit baffling why they spend so much on the structures and not on service.
Higher levels of gov't typically pitch in for infrastructure. York has to pay for service.

I honestly wonder whether we need to move to older models where the lowest jurisdiction pays for everything. They would need better taxing abilities but capital and operating costs would be more balanced.

Higher levels of gov't typically pitch in for infrastructure. York has to pay for service.

I honestly wonder whether we need to move to older models where the lowest jurisdiction pays for everything. They would need better taxing abilities but capital and operating costs would be more balanced.

It's a fair question but, historically speaking, there's little reason to think the Province has any interest devolving more powers to municipalities and you'd need a fundamental re-set of that relationship to do this. The current government has actually gone substantially in the other direction.

It's a whole other discussion but we should do is entirely reconstitute Metrolinx as a proper regional transit authority, with its own funding and governance. But the Province is even less likely to give them autonomy and power than they are to municipalities.

Viva was a good investment - the Region asked for it based on a concrete plan that involves intensifying along 2 key corridors and they've stuck to that plan (as compared to Toronto, which has literally had 4 or 5 plans in the time YR has stuck with Viva). It's unquestionably worked, in terms of where development is happening. But now it's up to them to make sure all those new residents are actually using the system and to ramp up service to proper levels or that investment won't have been worthwhile.

^I don't think development in YR is occurring because of the Viva BRT. Like I've said before, it's more likely the high land prices make it profitable to sell and redevelop retail plazas.
Have to agree. I think Markham and Richmond Hill have done a decent job of directing development. That development would have happened without the BRT.

It's not that baffling.
Firstly, capital costs came from the province and operations comes from the regional tax base.
Secondly, it's a Catch-22 as they're creating intensification but that takes time. I've said before, looking at ridership is fairly pointless right now. The point of Viva isn't just to have rapid bus service but to change the built form of the corridors and ultimately travel patterns.
Meanwhile Brampton transit puts York Region to shame without any intensification or fancy bus infrastructure.

Meanwhile Brampton transit puts York Region to shame without any intensification or fancy bus infrastructure.

It's apples and oranges, a bit.
They operate in different contexts. Firstly, Brampton would love to have York Region's intensification, not to mention their subway stations.
Secondly, YR's prime routes get cannibalized by TTC.

I'm not defending what I think everyone knows are the issues with YRT's BRT and local service. I'm just saying that in the big picture, and over the long term, it's still early days to fully evaluate, especially if you're going to compare to Brampton in terms of 2 suburbs trying to manage a shift to a more urban context.

They operate in different contexts. Firstly, Brampton would love to have York Region's intensification, not to mention their subway stations.

I'm not defending what I think everyone knows are the issues with YRT's BRT and local service. I'm just saying that in the big picture, and over the long term, it's still early days to fully evaluate, especially if you're going to compare to Brampton in terms of 2 suburbs trying to manage a shift to a more urban context.
A good argument for Metrolinx to operate truly as a regional transit authority is the Brampton to York services. Hwy 7-Queen, Steeles have no reason not to through run and be combined with Hwy 407 services for some express patterns.

TTC's prime routes get cannibalized by TTC? Hard to agree. While this does seem to be the case in Markham, for the vast majority of the region, YRT is the sole bus operator in many corridors. The level of service on Highway 7 is frankly embarrassing. Despite being no more developed than Highway 7, they somehow manage to run 7.5 minute headways on Viva Blue south of Bernard, and have done so for the past decade - while most of the developments on Yonge were only getting shovels into the ground. Perhaps this is a bit too anecdotal, but the lack of service really turns people away from these infrastructure projects. I know many people who live in the Promenade/New Westminster area along Viva Orange, and the only thing about Viva I hear there is how it was a giant waste of money on building useless glass shelters, and of course they think that way. They drive along Bathurst or Centre Street and they see these giant glass shelters with no busses around and nobody waiting in those stations, and you start asking yourself what the point even is, which also means you're less likely to use that service if it does start to get decent service, or if those residents actually get a really good reason to use them.

TTC's prime routes get cannibalized by TTC? Hard to agree. While this does seem to be the case in Markham, for the vast majority of the region, YRT is the sole bus operator in many corridors. The level of service on Highway 7 is frankly embarrassing. Despite being no more developed than Highway 7, they somehow manage to run 7.5 minute headways on Viva Blue south of Bernard, and have done so for the past decade - while most of the developments on Yonge were only getting shovels into the ground. Perhaps this is a bit too anecdotal, but the lack of service really turns people away from these infrastructure projects. I know many people who live in the Promenade/New Westminster area along Viva Orange, and the only thing about Viva I hear there is how it was a giant waste of money on building useless glass shelters, and of course they think that way. They drive along Bathurst or Centre Street and they see these giant glass shelters with no busses around and nobody waiting in those stations, and you start asking yourself what the point even is, which also means you're less likely to use that service if it does start to get decent service, or if those residents actually get a really good reason to use them.

I didn't say ALL of their routes are cannibalized . I think the travel patterns are definitely affected, roughly from 7 to Steeles, though some of those routes more than others. Obviously up at Bernard there's a lot less of this (and even less up in Georgina) than when you're talking about routes in Thornhill where you have to really think about if it's worth paying $4+ to get to Finch or walk 15 minutes and just take the darned 53 or 60, costing YRT a fare. But the further south you go, the more density there is for YRT to harness and the more TTC presence there is.

And I agree with what you're saying, which is why I said it's a Catch 22 right now.

You build this stuff and most definitely people say, "How come I see empty shelters?" or "Why do I see half-empty buses running on Bathurst?"
It's bad optics, for starters.
But it's also just growing pains and you really can't win.

Example: Go over to the Yonge subway thread where everyone complains that you can't open the subway line before Ontario Line because it'll be overcrowded.
So pick your poison: build transit now and hope to create new riders who won't be there the first few years, or wait until it's long overdue and then have so many riders you can't actually accommodate them, so people complain about either empty buses or full trains.

(Also, I could go to Davisville or Rosedale in the middle of the day and say they're a giant waste of money because hardly one is there; but that's not really fair, is it? Anyway, I take your larger point.)

Viva's a great idea. I think it's mostly been well executed. But YRT has to do a lot more with the service to make it live up to its potential.

Frequent, almost metro-level service at Unionville GO and the new York U campus next door will be game changers for VIVA, not to mention the Yonge North extension. Markham also wants to build its new civic centre next to Unionville GO, which I think is a great idea. The rapidways planned between Unionville GO and the new Cornell Terminal will be transformative for east Markham as well. Lots of strip malls to redevelop and there will be huge density coming to the area around Markville and in the new Cornell Centre area along 7. The lack of service is asinine, but at least the long-term planning seems solid in terms of major trip generators and local centres being planned along the routes.

0A259416-96E5-4773-A4AB-3BD5E84AADEA.jpeg

Was in the area the other day and had to do a transfer between Viva and the 4 bus. Took a pic of how ridiculously poorly thought out this design is and now having to resort to temporary barricades.

Don’t designers know that basics 101, people will always use the path of least resistance and ease?

I dunno. Queen and main seems to have as much, maybe more intensification, than Vaughn does (with Vaughn currently trending to surpass Brampton with the VMC project though).

I see the difference between the two being their relation to Toronto and the ttc system. Vaughn being directly north of Toronto has many bus (and now subway) routes that cross the municipal border, while Brampton does not. What Bramptondoes have, however, is greater connection via the go network (side note. This could be evaluated on a municipality or regional level, and I'm going off the top of my head, but I'd say off the top of my head that brsmpyon has better go service than Vaughn does).

So I would say that Bramptons goal should be to focus on intensifying its historic downtown and the areas surrounding it's go stations.

View attachment 325668

Was in the area the other day and had to do a transfer between Viva and the 4 bus. Took a pic of how ridiculously poorly thought out this design is and now having to resort to temporary barricades.

Don’t designers know that basics 101, people will always use the path of least resistance and ease?
youre referring to the stop placement right?
Not sure what they couldve done considering the conditions of the surrounding properties and historic Yonge 50m north of here.
I wouldnt try to armchair criticize at first whim without knowing the full picture from a technical, financial and political point of view .
Perhaps they will erect permanent barriers in the future.

View attachment 325668

This has been a discussion ever since this opened last December. According to @drum118 this is to make construction of a tunnel under downtown Richmond Hill easier in the future - as was the initial plan back in 2007, however that doesn't stop this design from being incredibly silly, especially considering that YRT wants to launch 2 new viva routes along that section of Major Mackenzie in the coming years.

Last edited:

Back