News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

Yorkdale Shopping Centre

I prefer Yorkdale as well. Better layout, brighter, better stores and restaurants.

see that's exactly why I prefer Yorkdale. It feels like a miniature city. There is some sort of energy in it. Sherway on the other hand feels like a private island for the super rich to do their shopping in complete peace and then go home to their mansion. Yorkdale has just as many upscale stores yet it feels much less ultra snobbish and it has people from all classes and all races. This is coming from someone who shops at Holts, Harry Rosen, Birks and lives on the Forest Hill border. I have the money but I hate how I feel when I'm at Sherway.

I don't particularly care about the snobs at Sherway (snobs make better shopping neighbours), but the crowds at Yorkdale are unbearable. I went there twice in the last 3 years (both times during the weekday, early afternoon) and the crowds were incredible. For me, not having people in my way is worth more than all of the above. That's just personal preference though.

I have never liked Yorkdale. I hate the parking, I hate the crowds -- if I do go, I take the subway. I've always preferred Sherway as a smaller, quieter place although these days it's getting quite crowded too. I'm not actually looking forward to the expansion :)

I can't argue that Yorkdale is denser and more congested than Sherway, both in terms of parking and crowds. That said, I like Yorkdale, the mall itself, better than Sherway. Even though both are in what many call the suburbs, there is definitely more of a city vibe to Yorkdale in my opinion.

Which mall developer/manager is better? Cadillac-Fairview (Eaton Centre, Fairview Mall, the Promenade, Sherway Gardens), Oxford (Yorkdale, Scarborough Town Centre, Eglinton Square, Hillcrest Mall, Upper Canada Mall, Square One), RioCan (Lawrence Square), Ivanhoe (Vaughan Mills), Primaris (Dufferin Mall), Orlando (Bayview Village), Morguard (Centerpoint), or the Chinese malls?

Last edited:
Which mall developer/manager is better? Cadillac-Fairview (Eaton Centre, Fairview Mall, the Promenade, Sherway Gardens), Oxford (Yorkdale, Scarborough Town Centre, Eglinton Square, Hillcrest Mall, Upper Canada Mall, Square One), RioCan (Lawrence Square), Ivanhoe (Vaughan Mills), Primaris (Dufferin Mall), Orlando (Bayview Village), Morguard (Centerpoint), or the Chinese malls?

Oxford is only all in on two of their properties... my in laws live 5 mins away from SQ1 so visit it frequently... Big changes since I got married 5 years ago. I use to laugh at the mall and now I can see a future with a Holts.

I do prefer the layout of Yorkdale mall then the figure eight of Sherway as well... I too dislike the parking at Yorkdale and to be honest I wish the whole mall had paid parking to get rid of the window shoppers. It would still feel urban but I can admit that sometimes it feels packed. As someone who once lived downtown and called Eaton Centre home (in the winter) I welcome the fast pace of the mall..

I'd take Sherway over Yorkdale any day. Yorkdale is too busy to drive to. But if I was from Toronto and taking the subway, I'd choose Yorkdale.

You couldn't pay me to drive to Yorkdale.

If I were to drive to Yorkdale, i would use the valet parking! Last year at Xmas i spent most of my day looking for a parking spot.

Oxford definitely understands that parking is a big issue at Yorkdale and they seem to be trying to do the optimal thing by creating the electronic parking spot availability system. In theory, I love it. In practice, I don't know how effective it really is. There are usually a few key areas that are my "go to" for parking spots and I tend to just drive straight there.

Valet parking at Yorkdale is $15 so it's still just a tad higher than what most people would probably be willing to nonchalantly pay. At $5, you can bet most people will simply valet their vehicle.

For a long time, I like Yorkdale and Scarborough Town, but after what I am seeing from the renovations in Markville mall, I am starting to take a liking to Cadillac-Fairview.

me too!! with the new apple store, and the microsoft store, also the Tesla dealer there, its attracting a lot of attention.

For Yorkdale, it is advisable to park at Lawrence Square and pay $3 to take the subway to Yorkdale. It is cheaper than valet parking and there is so much parking space at Lawrence Square, especially given that Zellers is no longer there.

Lawrence Square is very close to Yorkdale.

The new parking lot in the southern extension is great. There is almost always a spot, and each one has an indicator overhead to tell you if it's free from a distance.

Back