News   Jul 12, 2024
 787     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 709     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 303     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

That's an understatement. Spadina was officially "started" in early 2007 I think... and in a couple months we may see excavation begin for the drive shafts... that's more than 3 years. And I don't think the provincial government is in any hurry to fund more subway construction...

They know the timeframe. They said IF funding came today it would be open in 2018. Obviously funding is the big question but I think the hope is really to get it within a year so they can finish design/engineering and then take over all th Spadina infrastructure (eg boring machines) and have continuous construction.

The YRT/VIVA system map is just terrible. Style over substance. It could easily be much better and much more useful. It doesn't show any of the streets and everything on the map is too small in size because there is too much useless information, such as the "connections" in the Route Directory. And you'd think that, with the Route Directory already indicating which days each route is in operation, the Weekend service map would be not be necessary to include. It is redundant info.

They don't even need to put the entire system map at each stop. In Zone 1, the stops only need a map of Zone 1, and in Zone 2, there only needs to be maps of Zone 2, which solves the size problem. This way, they might even be able to fit weekend service map on there if they want and more importantly add in all the streets.

The previous designs were much, much better. If you were not familiar with York, the maps would be totally useless for getting around. I am glad YRT is migrating towards a GIS based system for their creating their maps. Out of all the GTA agencies, Brampton Transit's map is the the best by far.

http://wearesuperficial.com/en/viva

Some "lol" worthy pictures of preliminary plans for VIVA.
Apparently the lines were supposed to be named after fruit.

viva blue was supposed to be called viva berry (pink colored)
purple ~ plum (purple colored)
green ~ kiwi (green colored)
orange ~ banana (yellow colored)
pink ~ tangerine (orange colored)

Thank god someone had a brain! Can you imagine this being part of your morning dialogue? "Im catching the banana bus, then transfering to the plum." :p

But the company did succeed in creating that fresh image for VIVA that created some buzz for the system.

I think they came to the realization, that people would probably just call the lines by their colour rather than their name ( berry, plum, banana, etc..). Thank goodness they changed it. It would have looked extremely childish with fruits. haha could you imagine "the banana bus seems to be stuck", just wrong...

For those curious about the new map, there is a preliminary sample on their Web site:

YRT/Viva Transit News said:
It's a new way of seeing YRT/Viva

We've redesigned our system map! The new YRT/Viva system map features a revised layout and enlarged fonts that meet York Region's Accessibility Plan.

North vs. South
Routes serving southern York Region are shown on one side while routes serving northern York Region are on the other. This allowed us to zoom in on these areas and display more details, such as side streets and more street labels, while reducing information congestion.

GO Shuttle and Express services are not shown on this map. They now have their own detailed maps online and can be viewed at yrt.ca/maps/shuttle-express

Routes & Availability directory
We’ve reduced the number of service line styles shown on the map. The new Routes & Availability directory (located on the northern York Region side) shows you the days your route is in service, what side of the map you’ll find it on and whether your route is accessible.

New base map
We’ve used a new base map derived from the most accurate Geographic Information System (GIS) that allows us to show all streets, municipal boundaries and points of interest. Colour tints also help to categorize general land use.

We want to hear from you
While designing this new map, we’ve taken into consideration the customer feedback we’ve received through the years. Continue to send us your comments so that we can keep making improvements.

Email your comments to transitinfo@york.ca with the subject line “New System Mapâ€.

A limited number of printed copies are currently being distributed at municipal displays and YRT/Viva events. Full distribution of the redesigned map will begin in April with the 2010 spring/summer system map.

You can also preview the new system map by downloading one of these versions:

Folded system map North (4MB)
Folded system map South (5MB)
One-sided shelter map (3.5MB)

March 15, 2010

Also this is new...

http://yrt.ca/news/NewsRelease_YRT_GO_NewmarketB_Mar17_2010_logos_revised3pm.pdf

YRT/Viva and GO Transit offer new options for customers

NEWMARKET – MARCH 17, 2010 – The Regional Municipality of York and GO Transit are
collaborating to meet the needs of GO customers on the 62-Newmarket B GO Bus service.

As a transitional measure, GO Transit will continue to offer the 62-Newmarket B GO Bus service
on a reduced basis (five southbound morning trips and five northbound afternoon trips) from April 5
– June 25, 2010. On June 28, 2010, a new Viva Blue service, with fewer stops, will be introduced
with reduced transit time along Yonge Street to Finch Station.

Five new Viva Blue trips will operate on a revised route, traveling from Newmarket to Finch
Station, bypassing the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal (RHCT) to reduce travel time.

These travel times will be in line with the former 62-Newmarket B GO Bus service, which will no
longer operate as of April 3, 2010.

Existing Viva Blue trips entering RHCT will continue to operate.

As customers transition to YRT service, YRT/Viva will offer existing GO monthly pass holders of
the 62-Newmarket B service a loyalty incentive to encourage them to use the Viva service.

YRT will also assume responsibility for planning service from Newmarket to York University
starting in September. This will continue service for the towns served by the current GO trips to
York University including King.

“I am very pleased we have worked closely with GO Transit to develop this win-win solution,” said
Rick Leary, General Manager of YRT.

For all those YRT/Viva Riders:

There are quite a few service changes taking place end of next month.. make sure you check them all out as there are a few big changes as well (eg: a few new dial-a-ride routes, CANCEL of 25D and introduction of YRT 90-B, as well as other schedule adjustment changes all over the system). Check out the yrt website for more:

http://www.yrt.ca/schedules/service-changes.asp

A lot of cutbacks! Route 11 is being slashed to almost nothing, but not that surprised with Wood-a-bridge. Whenever you read "will be adjusted to better balance service levels with demand" - it means reduced service. Service improvements would be marked/marketed as such.

The 90B is somewhat interesting. It should make it a more reliable route than the old 25D, and a bit faster for York passengers.

Oh wow, a lot of reduced frequency... I have stopped taking the YRT due to my new workplace location, but I was hoping that the general ridership would still continue to increase so that they wouldn't stop improving frequencies. Oh well...

With the latest kick in the stomach by the provincial government, I'm starting to lose hope in ever seeing the GTA having adequate transit as a viable alternative to the car. Why do politics play such a huge role in transit planning? It's ridiculously degrading to the entire effort.

Also from www.yorkregiontransit.com:

Viva orange
* Viva orange will not use the York U. busway until further notice.
Why? According to this report, they would save $250,000 in annualized operational time savings. That's not even counting the extra income due to increased ridership. They have already built the new stop at Downsview, all that remains now is to move VivaNow machines from Keele-Finch and Downview to Murray Ross and Dufferin-Finch, respectively. What could be holding these things up? They have known about the busway for what? Three years?

Why? According to this report, they would save $250,000 in annualized operational time savings. That's not even counting the extra income due to increased ridership. They have already built the new stop at Downsview, all that remains now is to move VivaNow machines from Keele-Finch and Downview to Murray Ross and Dufferin-Finch, respectively. What could be holding these things up? They have known about the busway for what? Three years?

Perhaps insurance reasons?

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if you really want to know, try emailing them. Many people have had much success getting their answers for MANY different types of questions/concerns simply by sending them an email... I suggest doing that and post their response here if you get one. Just a thought.

A lot of cutbacks! Route 11 is being slashed to almost nothing, but not that surprised with Wood-a-bridge. Whenever you read "will be adjusted to better balance service levels with demand" - it means reduced service. Service improvements would be marked/marketed as such.

The 90B is somewhat interesting. It should make it a more reliable route than the old 25D, and a bit faster for York passengers.

True.. lots of cutbacks but in all honesty, quite a number of them will be affecting very few if any passengers. Remember that many times when you read/hear the words "due to low ridership" in York Regoin, it means no passengers boarded the bus! Also.. in your 2nd paragraph regarding the new 90B, I think you meant faster for Seneca students.. no? But the 90 no longer goes via Finch either, if that's what you are referring to. Otherwise It would simply mean better frequency on Leslie south of 16th.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if you really want to know, try emailing them. Many people have had much success getting their answers for MANY different types of questions/concerns simply by sending them an email... I suggest doing that and post their response here if you get one. Just a thought.

Here's the response from transitinfo@york.ca:

"The proposed Viva Orange routing along the York University busway has been delayed as YRT is waiting for the final agreements for review and signing. As you may be aware, the busway was constructed on Imperial Oil property. The delay is due to obtaining permission from Imperial Oil to amend the current agreement with the City of Toronto and TTC so Viva vehicles are permitted to travel on their property. Once the agreements are finalized, our Viva services will begin service along the new busway."

Back