News   Jul 12, 2024
 821     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 314     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

^^ Oh yeah, I remember now. Haven't actually ridden Blue in a while :p
On a route like Blue though, it could make sense if the busses actually went all the way to Newmarket (long trips sit at the back where they have a table.) Other than that, I don't see much of a need for them tbh.
I keep wondering what Viva'd be like if/when they move to LRTs or even subways. Would they try to keep that coach-style feel or go for a more generic transit layout? How much of that coach comfort actually attracts customers that would otherwise be more inclined to take their car?

I think it helps some people (specifically the business types) justify to themselves that they're not riding "public transport". Whatever, if it helps them imagine themselves in something that isn't "degrading" like a mere bus, then it's fine by me.

Remember that when Viva's marking campaign first started back before the service even launched, it was highly marketed towards business people as allowing them a stress-free way to work, while allowing them to do some work along the way... In theory, provided that there isn't some loser playing his PSP in the seat with the table.

will there be a bus on Bayview Ave between Stone road(end point for route 54 and and Subrisco where the 91a stops? in this gap there are houses being built and currently there is an area of newly built houses just north of stoufville road near a bridge

will there be a bus on Bayview Ave between Stone road(end point for route 54 and and Subrisco where the 91a stops? in this gap there are houses being built and currently there is an area of newly built houses just north of stoufville road near a bridge

There already is a bus that serves the area. It's route 91B. Only it's limited service, at least for now. Operates 4 southbound trips in the AM and 5 northbound trips in the PM. Operates between Richmond Hill Centre Terminal goes via Hwy 7 to Bayview and north on Bayview to snivley to Bloomington Road.

Here's the route navigator link:

http://www.yrt.ca/maps/navigators/91.pdf

http://yrt.ca/index.asp

The site now has a section in the bottom left corner stating:

THE WAIT IS OVER.
Real-time transit info coming soon. Stay tuned for updates.

... finally. Now make that information be easily accessible by Blackberries and iPhones and other smartphones and we'll call it a useful feature. No use in having real-time information only available from a PC.

http://yrt.ca/index.asp

The site now has a section in the bottom left corner stating:

THE WAIT IS OVER.
Real-time transit info coming soon. Stay tuned for updates.

... finally. Now make that information be easily accessible by Blackberries and iPhones and other smartphones and we'll call it a useful feature. No use in having real-time information only available from a PC.

From my understanding, the real-time info system will work as the current schedule system on the website does now. So if you can currently load up the website and search schedules on your iphone or blackberry you should have no problem. The "real-time" will be listed beside the "scheduled" time (at least from the details I've heard and understood). The only thing that may not work on a cell phone/PDA is the map that would show the location of your bus in realtime. In addition the "real-time" system will be connected to the automated schedule telephone line, so I imagine you could select "scheduled time" or "real time" of the next bus, or it would announce the scheduled time and then tell you the "real-time". I'd wait till it's launched, maybe we will all be surprised on just how and where it will work.

For those who may be wondering. The launch date for the "real-time" transit information is apparently set for January 18, 2010

"RideNow" is now available on the http://www.yrt.ca/ website and the YRT automated schedule information phone line. Just put in your bus stop number and the system will give you the "scheduled" time as well as the "estimated arrival time". Also if you are doing this through the website it will tell you if the bus is running on time, early, or late and by how many minutes and if you click "map it" it will show you the current bus location (possible delay of up to 1 minute i find). I've found though that sometimes "no info available" shows for estimated departure time. What I've discovered is that if the bus has not begun that trip, the "real-time" info will not show (or if the GPS in the bus isn't working properly). you can play around with it now if you guys wanna check it out.

Here's a rendering of York Region's new rapid transit vehicle. Is it me or are there lights on the ceiling of the bus as well?

VIVA_LFX_Interior.png

that is really interesting, it does look like there are lights on the ceiling, I was wondering if you had any pictures of the exterior? Or are they going to look pretty much the same as they are currently?

wow, that's a rendering? To be honest, I don't see any significant differences from the current busses. Maybe they seem a bit newer and funkier, but I won't be holding my breath.

I can definitely see the differences between the current design and the new one. Most notable of them all being the engine is no longer at the back, like they said before. I wonder what the front of the bus looks like. Honestly, I would have preferred to keep Van Hool as the manufacturer because I'm pretty sure that they were having a good run with these buses in terms of reliability.

That said, other differences include the barrier between the door and the seats (currently only a glass pane exists between the wall seat and the door, but nothing for the aisle seat), shortened seats so that we can't really rest our heads back on anything but hard plastic (ugh), and more tables so that the back two areas won't be taken up by people sleeping instead of reading. Hopefully people will resist the urge to put their stuff on these tables, especially in winter when the bottoms of bags are covered in dirt and salt stains.

Edit: And now I've just noticed that the front of the bus is in the picture. Looks like they've really minimized the amount of room the engine takes up. I also noticed that the pics are of the longer buses rather than the short ones so the engine never really was at the back to begin with.

I'm guessing that the exterior would look like every single other Novabus - they only seem to have one basic model.
I assume that Viva is getting LFXs, so here's the info and pictures from the Novabus website:
http://www.novabus.com/transit-solutions/vehicules/lfx.html
The new buses look very similar to the VanHools, but that's because Novabuses do in general, not because they are trying to mimic the old buses.

It's too bad they're not getting more VanHools, I really like them, and I'm not a fan of "pusher" articulated buses.

As for the renderings, I'm not too sure about having so much overhead lighting. I don't like being on a really bright bus at night, because it's impossible to see outside, and it's like being in a fishtank. One of the most pleasant rides i've had at night was when every other light was off: it was much more relaxing than having blinding fluorescent lights. Obviously there would be safety hazards (tripping, bombs, etc.) in having an overly dark bus, but this could be solved by increasing the floor-level lighting

Last edited:
The region liked Van Hools too.
Canadian content requirements to get prov/fed funding meant Van Hool couldn't even bid.
The resemblance to the old buses didn't hurt Nova either.

Here's an article from YorkRegion.com from back in October...

October 09, 2009 03:07 PM

David Fleischer
York Region is poised to sign off on deal for new Viva buses that could add up to $50 million over the next five years.

Nova Bus, a division of Volvo, is the only contender for the contract to provide up to 51, 18.2-metre buses for the region’s rapid transit fleet.

The initial approval is for 15 buses at a cost of just under $1 million each.

“It was a showcase for our region,” capital assets manager Rick Takagi told last week’s transportation committee of Viva’s distinctive blue buses.

“We were still looking for a vehicle with advanced asethetics and styling.”

Since the new buses are expected to be on the road for several years, along with those now rolling down regional streets, it was important the two look similar, Viva chief architect David Clark told the committee.

“We were very pleased with the exterior styling (of the Nova Bus). We felt it fit well with the intent of what we’re trying to put on the street,” he said.

The new buses are very similar in size those in the current fleet of 101 buses, all acquired from Belgium’s Van Hool. Canadian bus manufacturers were not able to produce appropriate buses at the time the purchase was made, a staff report states.

Staff want to see the new vehicles remain as “state of the art” as the Van Hool buses.

That means a more stylish design, comfortable seating, reduced emissions and noise and low maintenance.

The new buses will have more seats at floor level, big windows and other familiar features.

One photo illustration showed a cluster of four seats centred around a table as one possible configuration.

Unlike the Van Hool buses, which have a centrally-located engine, the Novas are rear drive. Knowing the quiet back seats on the current buses are popular, staff will work to minimize engine noise.

Wheelchair ramps now located at the rear doors will instead be at the front entrance, by the driver.

The initial contract is for 2010, with options for up to 36 more buses until 2014.

Seven companies picked up the RFP, which closed in May, but New Flyer was the only other company to respond. However, they failed to meet a 25-per-cent Canadian content requirement to obtain upper-level government funding.

By contrast, Nova was at nearly 48 per cent Canadian content.

Nova already had the highest technical scores, and the lower price submission by about $1 million.

Some councillors were disappointed Van Hool wasn’t even able to bid, given the current level of satisfaction with the fleet.

“I think that’s worrisome,” Georgina Mayor Robert Grossi said.

“One thing we don’t want to be is protectionist.”

The base price for each new bus is $902,234, plus GST. A further $35,000 in optional enhancements will ensure the vehicles are up to Viva’s design standards.

Funding is to be shared on an equal basis between the region and the federal government and confirmation from Ottawa is expected before the end of the month.

Council votes on the proposal at its Oct. 22 meeting.

1 milllion dollars per bus.

wow... You realize that Chinese companies could make these things at 50% the price tag.

Back