News   Mar 28, 2024
 107     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Their projects are hilariously simple in comparison to LRT/Subway projects. No tunnelling, no elevation, very little if any construction of actual new roadway (unlike even the Mississauga Transitway), the "stations" are just a shelter with a canopy and not actual buildings by any real standard, no rails, no overhead, basic traffic signal work only and nothing like the railway crossing arms of say the Waterloo LRT, while there is utility relocation they're not doing things like building an LRT line directly above or below an actively operating subway or rebuilding/double-tracking an in-use GO station, and the rapidway projects by VivaNext involve no procurement of new buses/long term operation+maintenance contracts and no construction of operations maintenance and storage facilities.

The bus stop at Scott street and Yonge started build in June and its still not complete. I agree with the comment "shockingly long amount of time"

Any predictions on when Highway 7 East will be extended to the upcoming Cornell bus terminal? It's still not clear which other routes would even be using that terminal.

They didnt start major construction on Bathurst until 2 years ago. Most of their resources were spent on hwy 7.

They absolutely, positively started work 5 years ago. I go by that area on a weekly basis. I have seen just how slowly the whole thing has progressed.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 years or so. But the past two have been downright painful, and beyond explanation.

Dan

Just popping to note that:
a) the ribbon cutting for the new section is on Sunday...
b) though the press release has a nice quote from Transpo Minister Christine Elliot, I wonder if the local MPP - who rose to prominence through vehement opposition to the lanes and how they'd be a St. Clair-style disaster - will attend the event. She hasn't re-tweeted or anything, Not even a LIKE! :)
1578084307102.png

Just popping to note that:
a) the ribbon cutting for the new section is on Sunday...
b) though the press release has a nice quote from Transpo Minister Christine Elliot, I wonder if the local MPP - who rose to prominence through vehement opposition to the lanes and how they'd be a St. Clair-style disaster - will attend the event. She hasn't re-tweeted or anything, Not even a LIKE! :)
View attachment 223777
Since when Christine Elliot is Transport Minister?

Since when Christine Elliot is Transport Minister?

Good point! My mistake. She is deputy premier but I don't know why it's her quote. Perhaps she's the nearest MPP who was willing to admit it's a good investment? Great look for Gila Martow to be the MPP for the area but not even mentioned...

The YRT just released the 2020 Transit Initiatives: https://view.publitas.com/york-region-transportation-services/2020-transit-initiatives/page/1

Highlights:

Cornell Terminal is scheduled to open on September 2020
Some YRT underperforming routes will lost some periods of service in April 2020
Jane & Major Mackenzie bus terminal opening date is deferred to 2021
77A Highway 7 will be discontinued
New route 89 Bathurst from Seneca King to Newmarket Terminal to commence service on April 2020 during peak hours only
New Saturday service on 96 Keele-Yonge as 22 King City loses Saturday service

The YRT just released the 2020 Transit Initiatives: https://view.publitas.com/york-region-transportation-services/2020-transit-initiatives/page/1

Highlights:

New route 89 Bathurst from Seneca King to Newmarket Terminal to commence service on April 2020 during peak hours only

Looking at the performance metrics for Route 20 (Jane), I'd say it's ready for 24-hour service.

Highlights:

also they are looking into going hybrid with new flyer as well as buying more 60ftrs for conventional routes this year.

Back