News   May 15, 2024
 71     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 846     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 679     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

What I don't get, is why anyone would live in York Region if the transit is so terrible. I certainly wouldn't ever live there!

What I don't get, is why anyone would live in York Region if the transit is so terrible. I certainly wouldn't ever live there!

1) A lot of residents drive, and do not care much about transit.

2) There are areas of good transit, or at least viable transit: along Yonge, Hwy 7, to a lesser degree Centre street, Bathurst, and Bayview. One can say that areas around GO stations are somewhat transit-friendly; few people take a bus to GO, but many can take a a short drive to a parking lot and then a longer train ride to Toronto's downtown.

Are you being ironic or missing cause and effect?

They live there the same reasons people live in suburbs everywhere. The houses are bigger and cheaper (at least at face value) and they have cars and they drive. They don't all work in, or live their lives around Toronto either. If you had a job in Markham you might well be perfectly happy to live there. Also, no Rob Ford, except on TV.

We here all think transit is important but it's not a deciding factor for many people. Besides, as Rainforest rightly points out, people who live close to major corridors (e.g. 7, Yonge, GO stations) have all the transit they need. It's the local service that's a problem but fixing it (e.g. shifting people from cars, promoting TOD) is a chicken-egg thing can happen, but not all at once.

Are you being ironic or missing cause and effect?

They live there the same reasons people live in suburbs everywhere. The houses are bigger and cheaper (at least at face value) and they have cars and they drive. They don't all work in, or live their lives around Toronto either. If you had a job in Markham you might well be perfectly happy to live there. Also, no Rob Ford, except on TV.
But one can't choose to live there, and then complain incessantly about poor transit.

It would be like choosing to live downtown, and complaining that your lot is too small, and you can't afford a bigger one.

And cheaper? Given how much bigger they are, and how much more property taxes are out in the suburbs (which is no surprise, because of the inefficiency of delivering services to less dense areas), and the need to have cars - often more than one!

There might not be Rob Ford in 905, but have you been following the dramas in Brampton and Durham?

FWIW, my parents lived here so while going to school I had my room and board subsidized. They also wanted me to develop independence, so they wouldn't drive me anywhere, thus requiring me to walk 20 minutes through bland suburbia just to get to a bus stop. I should be lucky they didn't live any further away from Yonge St...

Ironically enough, they have since moved but I am still here, mostly because my job is here. I am a little closer to Yonge (and Major Mackenzie as well), and the area I'm in is older and more interesting than the newish suburb I was in before.

But one can't choose to live there, and then complain incessantly about poor transit.

It would be like choosing to live downtown, and complaining that your lot is too small, and you can't afford a bigger one.

And cheaper? Given how much bigger they are, and how much more property taxes are out in the suburbs (which is no surprise, because of the inefficiency of delivering services to less dense areas), and the need to have cars - often more than one!

There might not be Rob Ford in 905, but have you been following the dramas in Brampton and Durham?

My parents moved to York Region in order to be walking distance from work. So now they aren't allowed to want dependable transit?

FWIW, my parents lived here so while going to school I had my room and board subsidized. They also wanted me to develop independence, so they wouldn't drive me anywhere, thus requiring me to walk 20 minutes through bland suburbia just to get to a bus stop. I should be lucky they didn't live any further away from Yonge St...

This is one of the biggest issues with suburbia I find. People move somewhere without thinking about non-auto transportation. A car per spouse, and the kids are easily driven around...all is fine. But once the kids turn into teens, and parents are sick of chauffeuring these dependent teens around (just as the teens are sick of being chauffeured), then the question is: do we buy them a car (+ insurance, +maintenance, + fuel, etc); or demand better transit from our governments? Considering the costs of vehicle ownership, the latter seems to be the case more often than not.

So it’s a bit of a chicken and egg. Do we blame the gov’t for allowing auto-centric neighbourhoods where transit (or even sidewalks for that matter) is either nonexistent, or a low-quality and costly ad hoc afterthought? Or do we blame the public for choosing to live in an auto-centric neighbourhood, and not having the foresight to know that walking / cycling / transit could’ve been very useful to them in the future.

This is one of the biggest issues with suburbia I find. People move somewhere without thinking about non-auto transportation. A car per spouse, and the kids are easily driven around...all is fine. But once the kids turn into teens, and parents are sick of chauffeuring these dependent teens around (just as the teens are sick of being chauffeured), then the question is: do we buy them a car (+ insurance, +maintenance, + fuel, etc); or demand better transit from our governments? Considering the costs of vehicle ownership, the latter seems to be the case more often than not.

So it’s a bit of a chicken and egg. Do we blame the gov’t for allowing auto-centric neighbourhoods where transit (or even sidewalks for that matter) is either nonexistent, or a low-quality and costly ad hoc afterthought? Or do we blame the public for choosing to live in an auto-centric neighbourhood, and not having the foresight to know that walking / cycling / transit could’ve been very useful to them in the future.

That's precisely the problem, especially since many people thought there was nothing wrong with building that way, for decades. That's why I don't get Nfitz's "you can't complain" attitude.
Of course you can - because we want better. Someone who works downtown might try to buy a house in Leaside and find the costs are so high they have to up to Richmond Hill. Now we have to punish that person by saying "Look, transit sucked in RH when you bought it so don't expect us to add all-day 2-way GO because you're unhappy"?

You'll note, Nfitz, I put in "at face value," recognizing that housing costs are not necessarily what they seem in the suburbs but that's still how people think; and it's part of much larger problems regarding planning and governance. We've talked plenty on this thread and others, for example, about how the current transit set-up dissuades people who live near Steeles (myself included) from taking convenient YRT service because of the double fare. That's a simple but obvious example of doing something that runs counter to what you're trying to do on a bigger scale.

In the last muni election there was a guy running who was opposed to new BRT lanes and he basically said it was because, "Hey, everyone around here drives cars so let's not fool ourselves that some fancy bus is going to change that." That's about the dumbest, least-helpful argument I can think of. If you believe in making things better, you try to make things better, you don't throw up your hands and say, "too bad!"

York Region Transit, and many other suburban systems, have challenges trying to create a transit culture that goes beyond sheer necessity. I don't see anything to gain in suggesting this is a game that was lost long ago. It's still going on.

People may 'want better'. But re: the existing mess that is most of the GTA... I somewhat agree that people “can’t complainâ€. The die has been cast. The land has already been planned as auto-centric, and very little can be done to change that (other than, say, costly ad hoc remedies that aren’t all that great). That’s what I guess my point was: do we blame the gov’t for allowing this poor planning, or do we blame the people who should’ve done their homework before knowingly buying a home w/out nearby transit.

In the end, people are stuck with over-subsidized and inefficient transit, or no transit. And I guess the third option which is crappy transit for 99%, but a multi-billion-dollar subway for 1% in a new development (which is supposed to somehow make up for several decades of piss poor planning for the other 99%).

People may 'want better'. But re: the existing mess that is most of the GTA... I somewhat agree that people “can’t complain”. The die has been cast. The land has already been planned as auto-centric, and very little can be done to change that (other than, say, costly ad hoc remedies that aren’t all that great). That’s what I guess my point was: do we blame the gov’t for allowing this poor planning, or do we blame the people who should’ve done their homework before knowingly buying a home w/out nearby transit.

In the end, people are stuck with over-subsidized and inefficient transit, or no transit. And I guess the third option which is crappy transit for 99%, but a multi-billion-dollar subway for 1% in a new development (which is supposed to somehow make up for several decades of piss poor planning for the other 99%).

Another way of putting that is finding spots within the suburban fabric where you can plop in something entirely different so you're not under the delusion you can totally remake Vaughan or Mississauga or whatever but you create a node that provides some balance to the larger hole. (Not mentioning any specifics, ol' buddy! Just speaking generally.)

There's no point blaming any one party. People wanted it, the market provided it and governments allowed it. But it's also only been around 60 years which, in the scheme of human urbanization, isn't very much. People in 1900 couldn't imagine what their cities would look like in 1960 (or, say the people of North York in 1970 imagining what it would look like in 2015) so I don't buy that the die is cast. There's one things that cities do and that's evolve.

Oh, you're not going to turn the 905 back into farmland, that's a ship that's obviously sailed, but if the entire Big Move (or something close to it, at least) was built out, combined with things like road pricing, there's no reason to think the inner parts of the 905 can't look very different a generation or two from now; not in their entirety, not any more than Yonge/Empress is reflective of all of North York, but you pick your battles and something like YRT or Miway could serve a very different, and more constructive, function.

My parents moved to York Region in order to be walking distance from work. So now they aren't allowed to want dependable transit?
I don't think they are allowed to create anonymous attack accounts and post endless diatribes about how poor transit is in York Region on multiple forums. You should have a talk with them about this ... :)

(my point was the complaining about it here ... ).

One place I do put the blame is the Peterson gov’t elected in ’85. The previous Bill Davis gov’t was way ahead of its time. They saw the mess emerging that was GTA sprawl, and they actively tried to do something about it. Obviously things got a bit wonky when they were looking to Maglev. But IMO their plans for RER and grade-separate light RT was (and still is) the best way to remedy the transportation problems in the GTA.

It’s plain as day that a short piecemeal commuter-style subway extension costing a generation’s worth of finite capital isn’t a remedy to thousands of square km of sprawl. Planners and politicians realized this forty years ago. Nor is a crappy bus waiting at every red light a good way of getting people out of their cars. But electric commuter rail, supplemented with ‘light’ rapid transit zipping along highways and greenspaces, is probably the best and most attractive way of addressing inter/intra commuting patterns for the far-flung low-density population centres that is the GTA.

Back