News   Jul 12, 2024
 955     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 339     0 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

Dumb question time ...

I was going to be using Viva tomorrow morning (never have before). I was going to board at Downsview station.

I was trying to read the YRT pages on payment ... apparently I have to pre-pay ... but there's no information about Presto when it talks about the machines.

And the Presto pages on YRT's website doesn't discuss Viva.

So with Presto, do I prepay at a machine, or do I tap-on the bus itself?

I'm shocked there that I can't find this on the website ... perhaps I'm missing something.

Prepay at the machine. There are no fare machines (AT ALL) on VIVA buses.
Thanks!

I'm surprised they don't at least have Presto readers on the buses. There must be times that you don't know what your taking until it comes ...

If you prepay using Presto at the fare machine, is that then valid on a regular YRT bus if that comes? Or do you need to tap a second time (which I suppose is the same as transferring)?

And at Dowsview, I'm right that the boarding for the Orange line is in the fare-paid area of the station? I think I recall seeing a YRT machine there while getting on the TTC York Rocket.

Thanks!

I'm surprised they don't at least have Presto readers on the buses. There must be times that you don't know what your taking until it comes ...

If you prepay using Presto at the fare machine, is that then valid on a regular YRT bus if that comes? Or do you need to tap a second time (which I suppose is the same as transferring)?

And at Dowsview, I'm right that the boarding for the Orange line is in the fare-paid area of the station? I think I recall seeing a YRT machine there while getting on the TTC York Rocket.

Viva and YRT have the same fares, so yes a Viva fare is vaild on a YRT bus vice versa. For Viva you need to tap at the Presto Machine that is at the Viva station. You need to tap when you board a YRT bus no matter what but you won't be charged a second fare if it's within the 2h since you first tapped. If you've tapped at the Viva stop but want to take the YRT bus that is rolling up, so you get on the YRT bus and tap.

Last edited:
Speaking of Presto and the YRT, it's annoying how the receipt button won't work on the Presto machines at viva stops.

I make daily trips from my workplace up in Markham to back home south of Steeles. If the YRT Presto machines allowed receipts then I could at least use that to transfer to a TTC bus in York Region. As it stands, I need paper tickets for YRT and of course TTC tokens. Quite annoying compared to the other southbound-to-Toronto YRT routes which are Presto friendly (viva green, viva purple, 90 Leslie...)

"I can just picture this poor guy, yelling at the bus driver and saying, ‘What are you doing? What are you getting off the highway for?'"

I find it so stupid that the series always actually calls 7 "the highway". It hasn't been a real highway for at least two decades. That hypothetical quote makes it sound like like the BRT is running along a freeway. i don't thing any passengers would think the bus is exiting off a highway.

PS: Why do some articles have no comments section? Other articles have zero comments but the section is there.

There were major problems with VIVA routings from the very beginning. But urbanization isn't one them.

I find it so stupid that the series always actually calls 7 "the highway". It hasn't been a real highway for at least two decades. That hypothetical quote makes it sound like like the BRT is running along a freeway.

Your constant tirades about highways are becoming tiresome.

There were major problems with VIVA routings from the very beginning. But urbanization isn't one them.

Your constant tirades about highways are becoming tiresome.

Hi Doady. The forum cop speaks again.

Why was my post tiring to you? It wasn't another "10" comment. It was a different highway vernacular subject and a different road; the use of highway as an adjective, not a street name.

Why was my post tiring to you? It wasn't another "10" comment. It was a different highway vernacular subject and a different road; the use of highway as an adjective, not a street name.

The highway cop speaks again.

The highway cop speaks again.

Well, I am a forum cop. Knock it off or I'll have to play bad cop.

I'm just fine with the rapidway following the existing Viva Purple route. There is very little difference in distance traveled between the Centre/Bathurst route vs the all Highway 7 route, just a lot fewer lights (but nearly zero walk-up traffic). What is important is that the rapidway stop at Promenade remains in the median at, but without the entry into, the bus loop area, and a better, faster route between Highway 7 and Bathurst, which requires going through two intersections via Langstaff Road/

Agreed. I think I'd feel a lot less annoyed by the Centre St routing if it didn't waste all that time going in circles and waiting for lights and mall drivers just to pick up and drop off 5 people.

And I'm generally annoyed by the Atkinson stop because most of the time it's just a bunch of kids getting on without paying their fare to go to the mall for lunch.

Whatever. I've been using GO buses ever since the Viva strike and I haven't looked back.

Why not do this:

Right now we have two branches of the Purple: One which goes to Richmond Hill Centre, and the other to Markham-Stouffville Hospital. The Markham bound one stays on Highway 7 with its own dedicated lanes, while the Richmond Hill bound one detours into Thornhill and the Promenade.

If you ever did a survey of people who use Viva Purple, you will find that the VAST majority use it to go between Richmond Hill and York University. In good time we will begin to see more people from Markham use it as well, once the buslanes are finished (right now I assume most simply take the GO bus, because of how long it is to get through Markham due to the construction and congestion).

This here is Thornhill's fight. They screwed themselves and the central and northern parts of the region by lobbying against bus lanes on Yonge south of 7. So if they want to screw themselves again by moving the lanes to Highway 7, though this time benefiting those in the central and eastern parts, more power to them.

That said, perhaps I should start an information campaign as to why bus lanes along Yonge through Richmond Hill are a good idea. Give me a leg up for when the opposition against them starts...

Back