News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.4K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 625     1 

York Region Transit: Viva service thread

No, looks like this is for vivaNext's plan to build an LRT from Steeles up to Hwy 7, as an extension of TTC's Don Mills LRT.

One of the modifications the Metrolinx RTP made to the original Transity City proposal.

Cool. I'm kinda surprised that it will run up leslie though... I would have thought somebody would want to be pushing for LRT to Markham Town Centre. However, I'm fine with this plan.

Cool. I'm kinda surprised that it will run up leslie though... I would have thought somebody would want to be pushing for LRT to Markham Town Centre. However, I'm fine with this plan.

That is planned to be accomplished through improvements to VIVA Purple and Green.

Downtown Markham would make more sense in the long term. Metrolinx didn't really think this one through.

Downtown Markham would make more sense in the long term. Metrolinx didn't really think this one through.

As I just said, the RTP calls for upgrading VIVA Green to a full rapid transit line.

I believe you, but will it be a bus or a branch of the LRT? It seems a waste to run a bus all the way to Sheppard & Don Mills, when tracks already exist.

I believe you, but will it be a bus or a branch of the LRT? It seems a waste to run a bus all the way to Sheppard & Don Mills, when tracks already exist.

Way, way too early to be answering those questions.

Of course not, we have to service a few hotels (whose patrons would be getting there by car anyway) and an oriental shopping plaza or two.

Or perhaps the number of current and future office parks and employment centres that will not be serviced by an improved vivaGreen?

Or they could try to run it through the narrow and circuitous route of John St to reach the town centre, or they could always try to cut through the thorns with TTC and the city to run it down Steeles, I suppose (which is of course not a bad thing).

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, both districts deserve service. The Beaver Creek Business park has such terrible traffic problems that even the lunch run takes twice as long as it should. Downtown Markham is on the cusp of a boom as well, and serving both of these areas cannot be done with one line. You're going to need a line up Don Mills & Leslie and a line branching off to Warden & Enterprise.

It's not an either-or question in my opinion.

I agree, two branches off Don Mills is a good idea. Half will go to Leslie, half to Markham Downtown.

To go to Markham town, the CN York rail corridor can be used, and I imagine laying tracks will be more effective here than building a new bus street.

As far as I'm concerned, both districts deserve service. The Beaver Creek Business park has such terrible traffic problems that even the lunch run takes twice as long as it should. Downtown Markham is on the cusp of a boom as well, and serving both of these areas cannot be done with one line. You're going to need a line up Don Mills & Leslie and a line branching off to Warden & Enterprise.

It's not an either-or question in my opinion.

I do agree that both areas deserve service, but if they're just going to be putting tracks up Leslie, that doesn't accomplish much. The Beaver Creek business area is not directly on Leslie, so you wouldn't get many of the office dwellers out of their cars (or the Lunch Express, before it got terminated for whatever reason).

Back