News   Jul 15, 2024
 641     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 785     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 613     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

This one has essentially turned into a thread about music, while that one has not.

What could be more on topic about Yonge St than music? Music and Yonge Street were once inextricably linked. If Yonge Street used to be Toronto's soul, then it's just about flickered out. RIP

What could be more on topic about Yonge St than music? Music and Yonge Street were once inextricably linked. If Yonge Street used to be Toronto's soul, then it's just about flickered out. RIP

Music was a big part of Yonge Street from the 50's to the 80's, but it was so much more than just about music. Late night restaurants and cafes, movies-movies-movies, record collector haven, the beginnings of legitimate gay culture, adult entertainment central and a gathering place for celebrations and protests. It really was a part of Toronto's cultural soul, and sadly it has mostly flickered out in favor of rapidly evolving retail, planning and social changes.

Music was a big part of Yonge Street from the 50's to the 80's, but it was so much more than just about music. Late night restaurants and cafes, movies-movies-movies, record collector haven, the beginnings of legitimate gay culture, adult entertainment central and a gathering place for celebrations and protests. It really was a part of Toronto's cultural soul, and sadly it has mostly flickered out in favor of rapidly evolving retail, planning and social changes.

I see none of those nowadays. Downtown Yonge is nothing but generic chain retail and cheap knock-off Japanese and Korean restaurants.

I see none of those nowadays. Downtown Yonge is nothing but generic chain retail and cheap knock-off Japanese and Korean restaurants.

You don't see it because Yonge Street's vibrancy and energy, as we knew it, pretty much died in the early 00's, save for the Gerrard to Queen area. Yonge Street downtown still has plenty of interesting and unique retail, and although the food scene could certainly be better I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Gerrard to Bloor almost seems to be holding it's breath, as if in a state of suspended animation. I think when nearby condo residents start moving in it'll slowly start to bounce back. I don't think it'll ever get it's energy back, but will still be very different by the end of this decade.

You don't see it because Yonge Street's vibrancy and energy, as we knew it, pretty much died in the early 00's

That's because mainstream youth culture pretty much died. Yonge was just a reflection of what mainstream culture used to be. And it still is.

Cinemas, book stores, record stores, live music venues, arcades - all seem to be vanishing.

I would have to disagree with you Argus. While book stores and arcades have been vanishing (mainly because of computers and the internet) Record stores have been in a revival, while they might not be big names like HMV, etc. you still have a ton of indie shops (Sonic Boom, Rotate this, Kops Records, Around Again, etc) Live music venues have had a crazy amount of success big and small. Kool Haus is a shitty venue that no one will miss THAT much. However you get gems like the Opera House, Phoenix, Horseshoe Tavern plus at least 30 thriving other spots throughout the city. As far as cinema's are concerned Y+D is the newest theatre in the city right on Bloor using Cultural festivals as well as Ryerson expand it's use and then Bloor Cinema had a recent major upgrade and is now host to Hot Docs.

Yonge Street might not have all of these things, however Toronto is not lacking in anything that you stated. Libraries are in popular demand as well, so much so that they've built their 99th in the city.

Technology has changed a couple thing Torontonians enjoy, however its still a very healthy and flourishing city.

Record stores have been in a revival, while they might not be big names like HMV, etc. you still have a ton of indie shops (Sonic Boom, Rotate this, Kops Records, Around Again, etc)

Well, that's the point. It went from being mainstream...to being a more underground cottage industry.

Yonge Street might not have all of these things, however Toronto is not lacking in anything that you stated.

While it's true that some of what has vanished from Yonge has simply been transplanted elsewhere (Queen West, Kensington, College St, Ent. District), the culture that drove it has simply vanished. Anybody that was around long enough will know this.

Technology has changed a couple thing Torontonians enjoy, however its still a very healthy and flourishing city.

That goes for anywhere. It isn't just technology that has seen convenience trump quality...it's things like hip hop culture that has been an insidious culture deadening factor for quite a while now. And it has negatively effected more than just music.

I'm coming around to seeing Yonge as one of the great urban strolls of the world. It has a lot going for it, although Grandeur will never, ever be part of formula. I'd suggest Yonge Street of old was over-rated. Certainly in the 80s it was seedy and dull.

What I like is the shabbiness, vitality, pedestrian traffic, and a growing collection of eclectic buildings that just 'appear' - Ryerson's new building, Aura (Bladerunner), Massey Tower which will restore the old bank buildings, Eaton Centre makeover, the restored Victorians around Five and 1 Yorkville, 2 strip joints, 1BE, ROCP Parkette, that new little zone around Temperance Dineeen Buildings, and anchored at L Tower. Most of all, its a good long walk 40 minutes from Bloor to Front.

The next Phase will leap down to Lakeshore as 1 Yonge and the other project announced last week on the West side come on line. The challenge will be to ensure Front to Lakeshore is as vibrant.

Nothing is.

yeah, and what should they be?

Why do people keep thinking the good old days are the best? If one really misses the much smaller and less diverse Toronto, they can always move to Ottawa. Do they really think there is less to do and see in Toronto nowadays than 30 years ago?

yeah, and what should they be?

Why do people keep thinking the good old days are the best? If one really misses the much smaller and less diverse Toronto, they can always move to Ottawa. Do they really think there is less to do and see in Toronto nowadays than 30 years ago?

In some ways yes... were you even in Toronto 30 years ago? Toronto is slicker and more global today, no question, but in terms of music, comedy and the arts scene I'm not so sure the output today is as rich and organic as it was then. Rose coloured glasses, you say? Not sure, but it's certainly not as self-evident as you imply.

Back